New father parenting tips!

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: New father parenting tips!

Postby simonpaulthomas on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:51 am

We had our first appointment with the midwife yesterday. It's all starting to sink in now. I've got a ****ing folder full of leaflets and charts to read :shock:
simonpaulthomas

Postby sendô on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:55 am

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:The missus and I are starting to think teething has started already. Showing all the signs. Usually a content baby, she's been very cranky, and constantly drooling and chewing on anything she can get her hands on for the last week or so. Gave her some Tylenol (Paracetamol) but not sure what that can do.
It's affecting her napping but at the moment she's still sleeping through the night. Here's hoping....

Ambusol or similar that rubs on the gums and numbs them, and some calpol will help with sleeping.
sendô

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:49 am

simonpaulthomas wrote:We had our first appointment with the midwife yesterday. It's all starting to sink in now. I've got a ****ing folder full of leaflets and charts to read :shock:

Its all exciting!!

Have to admit im enjoying it atm whilst Im off

first wash for her today (not bath yet just cotton wall wash) as she one week old.

now shes asleep downstairs with me whilst the mrs gets herself ready for the day (hearing test for baby today)

Since being downstairs the washing has been set up to go.. tea made.. breakfast eaten.. all the bottles and breast pump washed and put in steriliser

But then again I am very very sad... I enjoy being busy lol
mumbles87

Postby kayahammer on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:53 am

Remember to enjoy the little one. It's too easy to get bogged down in exhaustion and worry.

As for tips. Watch the BBC's Child of our Time series from the beginning. Changed my whole perspective on how to bring up a child.
kayahammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:00 am

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:The missus and I are starting to think teething has started already. Showing all the signs. Usually a content baby, she's been very cranky, and constantly drooling and chewing on anything she can get her hands on for the last week or so. Gave her some Tylenol (Paracetamol) but not sure what that can do.
It's affecting her napping but at the moment she's still sleeping through the night. Here's hoping....

Daughter started teething at 4 months. Once the tooth breaks the gum line, the pain eases. Trouble is they have lots of teeth so once one is through, not long before another comes along. Ashton & Parsons powder is pretty good
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby kayahammer on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:49 am

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Daughter started teething at 4 months. Once the tooth breaks the gum line, the pain eases. Trouble is they have lots of teeth so once one is through, not long before another comes along. Ashton & Parsons powder is pretty good

Not sure if they sell them in the UK, but if they do, there's a silicon type thing filled with water and you keep it in the fridge. When your little one starts teething, hand that to them and it cools the gums right down. My daughter loved it as she'd chew it for ages. Once the water gets warmer, pull out the spare from the fridge. Back of the net.
kayahammer

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:02 am

I tell you what, I'm glad I bought that air conditioner. Our room was a refreshing 18/19C last night, and we had a lovely sleep. Can't be much fun trying to sleep in this heat with a 39 week old baby waiting to get out.
DasNutNock

Postby mumbles87 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:41 am

DasNutNock wrote:I tell you what, I'm glad I bought that air conditioner. Our room was a refreshing 18/19C last night, and we had a lovely sleep. Can't be much fun trying to sleep in this heat with a 39 week old baby waiting to get out.

I purchased an ac portable unit when I was living at home and brought it with us when we moved 3 years ago
Mrs completely stole in this summer with the baby bump lol

We use it now to cool room down when we get home or say 5 in evening then off at night for baby
mumbles87

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:01 am

Ours is definitely going to be too noisy for baby to be able to sleep through it, but if we can run it when she's awake that should improve things a bit, even if not as effective as just having it running all the time. I've been using ear plugs recently because of the wife's pregnancy snoring, so I'm not too bothered by the motor, but it's a BIG unit, designed for rooms up to 600 sq feet (our bedroom is more like 100).

Not complaining, though - best £50 I think I've ever spent.
DasNutNock

Postby E7Iron on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:56 am

Thought I would bump it up to see how everyone who's partners are expecting are getting on?

Mrs E7 is 38 + 2, getting back aches, uncomfortable pressure in the pelvis and she cannot sleep. Also she is snoring like a train.

I found myself looking up non lethal ways to stop my wife snoring at 2am last night!
E7Iron

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:44 am

My 3 week old is doing very well. Her big sister is thrilled to be a big sister, and has helped with nappy changes, bathtimes etc. All pretty wonderful to see.

Baby sleeps from around 10pm with one feed around 3am, then up around 7am. Had a couple of bumpy nights, but otherwise, doing pretty well.
DasNutNock

Postby sendô on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:59 am

Found out last week that we're on for our third boy.

At about 21 weeks now.
sendô

Postby szola on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Congrats :thup:
szola

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:15 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Baby sleeps from around 10pm with one feed around 3am, then up around 7am. Had a couple of bumpy nights, but otherwise, doing pretty well.

That's really good going!

Our 8 week old has a feed at around 10.30-12 ish then every 3 hours or so. Last Friday she slept from 8.30 until 3 in the morning which was nice. I'm hoping she starts sleeping longer at night as she has the jist of day/night and is now much more awake during the day rather than at night.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby Turns to Stone on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:25 pm

The wife and I are expecting our first on the 20th Sept.

Starting to get really nervous now tbh. Will definitely be keeping this thread close to hand.

Congrats to all you other new Dads out there!
Turns to Stone

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:20 pm

sendô wrote:Found out last week that we're on for our third boy.

At about 21 weeks now.

Back of the net! What you thinking? 2x midfield +1 forward, or considering a defender?
DasNutNock

Postby simonpaulthomas on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Congrats Sendo - you're further ahead than us!

We're at 14 weeks now, had our first scan a couple of weeks ago and everything is fine, except the mrs has an ovarian cyst that's bigger than the baby right now, but can't be operated on until after the birth. It's nothing serious, but means extra visits to the hospital to monitor things. We'll get to find out the sex the week before my birthday, which is pretty good. Everyone is convinced they're a boy based on how they're resting in the womb - I think it's a load of cobblers myself, but it's nice to imagine a little fella...

She goes to bed at 9.30-10.00pm every night due to being tired, it's great!
simonpaulthomas

Postby SirStoneyOfBow on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:45 am

Congrats Sendo, and wishing your other half and the baby well SPT. I was a bag of nerves for the first 16 weeks or so as my wife has an auto immune disease that affects her thyroid, which in turn can affect the health of a fetus in that first trimester.
Happy to say she's perfectly healthy and approaching 5 months old. It makes my day to see her smile at me, you cannot deny it.
SirStoneyOfBow

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:13 am

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote:That's really good going!

Our 8 week old has a feed at around 10.30-12 ish then every 3 hours or so. Last Friday she slept from 8.30 until 3 in the morning which was nice. I'm hoping she starts sleeping longer at night as she has the jist of day/night and is now much more awake during the day rather than at night.

She was asleep at 8:30pm yesterday, up at 3am for a feed, and got up for another feed when my alarm went off at 6:15am. I feel like I'm tempting providence here, but that was an excellent night's kip.
DasNutNock

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:19 am

You'll all get there with the sleep if you persevere and ignore the crying once they are old enough for that.

Congrats TTS, Sendo and SPT.
Mega Ron

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug