New father parenting tips!

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: New father parenting tips!

Postby CentenaryUpperHammer on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:22 am

We are just over 16 weeks & found it yesterday that we are having a boy. Paid the £50 for a private scan at a place in Witham which was well worth it. Had a proper projector wall set-up so we got to see the scan nice & big. Really recommend if you plan to find out & are local. They also load pictures of your choice onto an app with a unique code to share with family etc.

Due date is currently 2nd Feb so got a bit of time to start getting stuff ready. Annoyingly, signed a new finance deal for a 3 door Corsa VXR in April & without paying a couple of grand for a settlement, looks like I'm stuck with the motor for now. Space is pretty limited but going for an isofix base as that seems a lot easier than messing around with seatbelts etc.

Need to get started on that Star Wars nursery now...
CentenaryUpperHammer

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 am

Our cars were too old to retro fit the isofix base but we have the silver cross car seat which I highly recommend. So easy to fit and seems sturdy enough despite only being held on the seat by the seat belt.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby sendô on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:26 am

DasNutNock wrote:Back of the net! What you thinking? 2x midfield +1 forward, or considering a defender?

The eldest is a unit, pure centre forward material. Middle one energetic and solid, midfield general for sure. Will have to see with the youngest, I'm hoping for a fleet footed winger/inside forward type. b*llocks to defending, that's not the West Ham way so it's not for my kids.
sendô

Postby simonpaulthomas on Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:48 pm

How's everyone else getting on?

We had a private scan today at 17 weeks to find out the gender...

We've got a boy on our hands! Hopefully a future Centreback eh?

I'm pretty happy - I was convinced we were having a girl (which I'd kinda convinced myself I wanted more anyway).

:scarfer:
simonpaulthomas

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Youngest daughter turned 6 weeks on Thursday. All sound so far, cannot believe how quickly she's growing.
DasNutNock

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Baby girl mumbles is 2 months old

She's doing really well, full of character and growing fast

Her passport arrived last week and we booked a mini cruise to Belgium for 3 nights in march
mumbles87

Postby sendô on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:23 pm

simonpaulthomas wrote:We had a private scan today at 17 weeks to find out the gender...

I've never understood this. You only have to wait 3 more weeks and you find out anyway.
sendô

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:55 pm

sendô wrote:I've never understood this. You only have to wait 3 more weeks and you find out anyway.

And some of these clinics aren't fully quilfied to read the scans often getting them
Wrong

Nhs is much more reliable and free
mumbles87

Postby simonpaulthomas on Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:15 pm

The Mrs' sisters wanted to get us something, so they paid for it - I'm happy to wait, but it's not any extra hassle to go a bit early. Definitely a wee fella - I saw his wee fella clear as day!
simonpaulthomas

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Daughter was a year old yesterday. Time flies
Unfortunately she caught a bug of some kind off another baby who was at the 'party' so been puking up a bit since last night, which has not been hugely enjoyable
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby SirStoneyOfBow on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:11 pm

Mini-Me is fast approaching 6 months. Time totally does fly, but by god it's passed at ludicrous speed!
At 4 months we acquired a passport for her for a pending trip back to London to see family and friends this December.
She'll be 8 months old when we fly, so I'm somewhat bricking it to get on a plane with her, considering she can be stubborn to go to sleep and will fight it. That said, 3 months is a long time and she is a good sleeper once down - it's just getting her down.
I was one of those people who sneered at parents who brought infants on planes, and like a hypocrite I'm joining the club.
SirStoneyOfBow

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:47 am

We did La Rochelle and back with a 5 week old - was a piece of piss, amazingly. Not a peep out of her either flight, unlike the row of French kids behind us on the flight back, who were utter c*nts. Playing music on their phone & laptop speakers, kicking our seats, screeching and shouting at each other (whilst mum and dad closed their eyes and pretended not to hear any of it).

Not to worry, though, I "accidentally" elbowed one of them in the head, and trod on mum's toes when the opportunity presented itself.
DasNutNock

Postby Ben on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:56 pm

my boy is 3 next week.
he still won't go to sleep on his own - we have to sit with him, though try to keep darting out saying things like "just going to go check on the cat, back soon" and leave it as long as possible, it isn't really working

he then wakes up in the night, usually anytime between 12 and 1, we go settle him and he will sleep for maybe another 30 mins, settle him, sleep for 10 mins until we are so tired we just put him in our bed and he sleeps like a log.

keep saying to him that he is 3 soon and a big boy so has to stay in his bed etc trying build up to it but does anyone have any tips to get out of this cycle?

if we try to let him cry it out he just unlocks his gate and comes up to our room!
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby sendô on Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Ben wrote:my boy is 3 next week.
he still won't go to sleep on his own - we have to sit with him, though try to keep darting out saying things like "just going to go check on the cat, back soon" and leave it as long as possible, it isn't really working

he then wakes up in the night, usually anytime between 12 and 1, we go settle him and he will sleep for maybe another 30 mins, settle him, sleep for 10 mins until we are so tired we just put him in our bed and he sleeps like a log.

keep saying to him that he is 3 soon and a big boy so has to stay in his bed etc trying build up to it but does anyone have any tips to get out of this cycle?

if we try to let him cry it out he just unlocks his gate and comes up to our room!

I've highlighted the problem. It never ceases to amaze me how many parents fall into this trap. I've never once let my kids sleep in my bed, and never will.

He's become too used to sleeping in with you, now he wont settle himself. I'm afraid it's a bit of tough love that's needed.

We fell into the trap of cuddling the eldest to sleep as a baby, and by 18 months it was getting silly. So we started putting him in bed and letting him self settle. It took about 2 weeks of screaming, crying and bedtime taking an hour plus but eventually he got it and was all the better for it.

He's three now and sleeps through all night, every night. Without fail. Never gets out of bed either.
sendô

Postby Ben on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:15 pm

sendô wrote:I've highlighted the problem. It never ceases to amaze me how many parents fall into this trap. I've never once let my kids sleep in my bed, and never will.

He's become too used to sleeping in with you, now he wont settle himself. I'm afraid it's a bit of tough love that's needed.

He's three now and sleeps through all night, every night. Without fail. Never gets out of bed either.

totally right, we never should have done it in the first place!
when we try that he will just constantly get up and come out of his room, he can unlock the gates etc
I guess we just have to say - no toys tomorrow if you come out of your room etc.

I keep thinking its worth trying some soothing music or audio stories that he can fall asleep to?
Ben

Postby sendô on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:22 pm

No you just have to stand guard. When he gets up, just keep putting him back in bed. Be firm but consistent, and make clear that he sleeps in his bed. I don't know if he has a teddy or something that will help comfort him?

We did the same with ours, it was brutal as he bawled his eyes out every night at bedtime for 2 hours sometimes, but once it was done it was done, and honestly it was the best thing we could have done for him.

I know people who still have kids crawl into their beds at ages approaching double figures. Sod that, I don't get much of the bed as it is.
sendô

Postby Ben on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:25 pm

sendô wrote:I know people who still have kids crawl into their beds at ages approaching double figures. Sod that, I don't get much of the bed as it is.

yeah we have to give it a go!
I literally wake up on the edge of the bed on my side, I have no idea how I even fit in the space I end up with! its mental!

I heard about a dad the other day who took his kid for a drive as a baby as it was the only way it would sleep and he still does it every day now and the kid's 6!!
Ben

Postby whuben on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:34 am

Time for some snug advice.

I am divorced with 2 kids (4 & 8), been with my new mrs for 3 years and we are hoping to have a baby next year. The mrs wants to go away with the baby on our own as a family and Ive said if we go with the baby then the other 2 children come as well. She hasnt taken this well, am I being selfish or would you do the same. In all other aspects she is amazing to my 2 kids treats them like her own
Last edited by whuben on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
whuben

Postby Ben on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:43 am

whuben wrote:Time for some snug advice.

Difficult one, probably just wants a break with her little family, her bubble and isn't a slight on your other kids who I am sure she treats as her family too.
I could imagine if it was flipped around though and she had kids - you saying you want to go away with your new baby and not her kids would see you in the dog house!
Ben

Postby whuben on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:49 am

Ben wrote:Difficult one, probably just wants a break with her little family, her bubble and isn't a slight on your other kids who I am sure she treats as her family too.
I could imagine if it was flipped around though and she had kids - you saying you want to go away with your new baby and not her kids would see you in the dog house!

Exactly mate. She is better to my kids than their own mother, she has provided a stable loving home for them both and they adore her. we have the kids 3 time a week overnight so its not like we have them every other weekend. I just cant get my head around leaving 2 kids behind for a week and taking 1
whuben

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug