Threatening to Cancel Sky.

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Threatening to Cancel Sky.

Postby rottiel on Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:26 pm

I got offered 20% first and then 40% of my £93.00 package (tv, hd & multiroom).

I cancelled, so hopefully they will come back with something better.
rottiel

Postby Hammersfaniow on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:31 pm

My subscription goes up soon so I phoned to cancel, I currently pay £60pm for unlimited broadband, line rental, evening & weekend calls, with sports & movies. They offered me a 12 month contract, with 10 months the same price as I'm paying now, but going up to over £90 for the last 2 months. When I explained that deal wouldn't suit me, they practically told me b0llocks. I await further development but I'm content to sit it out.

Only scouring other websites did I see that the price of their line rental is going up next month, along with their monthly broadband.
Hammersfaniow

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Hammersfaniow wrote:My subscription goes up soon so I phoned to cancel, I currently pay £60pm for unlimited broadband, line rental, evening & weekend calls, with sports & movies. They offered me a 12 month contract, with 10 months the same price as I'm paying now, but going up to over £90 for the last 2 months. When I explained that deal wouldn't suit me, they practically told me b0llocks. I await further development but I'm content to sit it out.

Only scouring other websites did I see that the price of their line rental is going up next month, along with their monthly broadband.

You have to actually cancel before they come chasing you. They'll do it before the disconnection date.
hammerdivone

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:33 pm

They'll do it anytime after and usually with better offers.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby Hammersfaniow on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 pm

hammerdivone wrote:
You have to actually cancel before they come chasing you. They'll do it before the disconnection date.

Cancelled there and then, put in my 31 days notice.
Hammersfaniow

Postby chalks on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:51 am

What's all this about having to pay for installation and boxes up front??!!

**** that for a game of soldiers
chalks
Sliding down his pole

Postby mushy on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:06 pm

93 quid a month?
Sounds like an awful lot of money to me, what do exactly get for your 3 quid a day?
mushy

Postby James P on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 pm

My bill for anyone who is interested is

£7.50 for broadband
£17.40 for Line Rental
£4.00 for Sky Talk Evening and Weekends*
£1.25 for 1571 viocemail
£68.00 for variety package with sports and movies (not BT Sport)
£12.00 for HD Pack
£12.00 for multiroom

£122.15 Total

* (I actually have no idea what this is but as we never use the landline this could probably be binned off)
James P

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:11 pm

Add to that the £12 a month for the BBC license tax, and you're talking about £1600 a year for TV and internet. Crazy numbers.

I pay £30 for 100Mb BB off Virgin, give the Beeb their money to make antiques & baking shows, £4 for a VPN service and make do with Freeview, which is still over £500 a year.
DasNutNock

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:42 pm

James P wrote:My bill for anyone who is interested is

£7.50 for broadband
£17.40 for Line Rental
£4.00 for Sky Talk Evening and Weekends*
£1.25 for 1571 viocemail
£68.00 for variety package with sports and movies (not BT Sport)
£12.00 for HD Pack
£12.00 for multiroom

£122.15 Total

* (I actually have no idea what this is but as we never use the landline this could probably be binned off)

Take away the sports and movies, I got my old dear that for £20.50

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:47 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Add to that the £12 a month for the BBC license tax, and you're talking about £1600 a year for TV and internet. Crazy numbers.

Maybe, maybe not.
Considering the amount of time any given family spends watching television, purely at the absolute top end, that's £30 per week.
Single people spunk more than that in a few days on a takeaway and an impulse item from Amazon...

It's the same as when people recoil at the idea of spending over a grand on a mattress.

What is crazy, is people spending £1600 on television, but watching it on a £250 32" TV with no settings optimised...

Postby 'Appy 'Ammer on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:35 pm

I am paying about £42 quid on Sky TV (base package) with free broadband for 12 months (September to go up to 18.99 per month), and basic Sky phone deal. (Beats BT).

I have just cancelled where they offered 15% off when doing it online, then I phoned them saying I was switching to Amazon Prime for £7.99 per month, so they offered £5.65 for 10 months, then hesitated and rechecked to say £9.60 for 10 months. I then binned them.

I will most probably switch my broadband and phone around that time too if I can see a deal.

One thing I wondered is if I bin Sky totally, do I lose my Sky email?

Not a huge loss but an annoyance if so.

So I will save £22.50 a month binning the TV but will still have the freeview part of Sky. Which is what I mostly watch anyway.

I have Kodi, so any advice on a good vpn would be appreciated.

I have been a Sky customer for 17 years (I'm sure it is longer) and I liked it when the whole package, Movies, Sport, etc was around £50 a month and happy to pay that, but they have become greedy buggers the past 10 years.

Now I think they are losing customers because of it. To really get the volume customers they need to price up against the BBC and kill off BT Vision and Virgin if they want to get my custom again.
'Appy 'Ammer

Postby PrawnSandwich on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Getting to the point where you have to move or threaten to move every 12 months now like insurance etc.
Even having to pay for an aerial install and a new phone line (as Virgin hacked both of them off when they installed in the property) by switching I am still saving £200 total for a year or £25 a month by moving off Virgin this month.

Imagine I'll switch back next year but I'll there to make sure that they don't cut up the cables and leave them buried in the wall for the year after.
Or by that time the misses will accept Freeview and Netflicks.
PrawnSandwich

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:43 pm

PrawnSandwich wrote:Getting to the point where you have to move or threaten to move every 12 months now like insurance etc.
Even having to pay for an aerial install and a new phone line (as Virgin hacked both of them off when they installed in the property) by switching I am still saving £200 total for a year or £25 a month by moving off Virgin this month.

Imagine I'll switch back next year but I'll there to make sure that they don't cut up the cables and leave them buried in the wall for the year after.
Or by that time the misses will accept Freeview and Netflicks.

when we moved into our house I made sure the sky dish and connections were left intact just incase!

Virgin came yesterday to fit the new V6 boxes.. impressed so far.. one upstairs one downstairs perfect combo
mumbles87

Postby likemydreams on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:45 pm

got rid of sky over a year ago now and haven't missed it at all i watch what i want when i want through Mobdro and it cost nothing but my broadband cost ! spending silly money on tv packages is a thing of the past for me
likemydreams

Postby JFK on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:39 pm

There was a power cut on my block recently and it damaged my Sky box. Certain channels playing up.

Ring to see if anything could be done. In the end they have to send an enigneer and the cost is £60. I note i've been a customer since 1989 and will not pay. Straight away drops to £30 asking how does that sound. I responsd i've got Virgin quotes here and contract up soon, how does that sound. Price now nothing. Replaced box with a new one.

I have the basic original bundle and the sports package and get 25% off, so pay £35.62 (approx £12 off).

I get a further £2.50 off the landline but still pay aprox £30.50 for the landline, unlimited broadband and Sky Talk.

So still paying just over £66.

It's the maximum i want to pay. Goes up past a certain point then i will be looking to get a Kodi set up and some sort of Tivo system. Other than a one off cost of a 'TIVO', am sure i could easily halve my bill.
JFK

Postby wizzo_66 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm at about £75 for tv, broadband and telephone through sky. That's including sports and hd.

Pathetic isn't it that people are all paying different figures.
wizzo_66

Location: Sunny Bournemouth & the Bobby Moore Lower on Matchdays

Postby fjthegrey on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:52 pm

You wonder how they're able to forecast and produce any kind of accurate management accounts when the figures are so disparate.
fjthegrey

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:55 pm

£30 a month for 100mb BB + phone.
DasNutNock

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:07 pm

If you already have Sky movies and sports packages.

You can get the movies free for a year.
somerset-hammer

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug