Threatening to Cancel Sky.

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Threatening to Cancel Sky.

Postby mumbles87 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:59 pm

10 days with just BT going well so far

internet works! think thats main thing

TV havent missed anything , the mrs still gets all her shows through BT and my shoes I watch on sky go via my ps4

happy days for £45 a month
mumbles87

Postby 3times on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:06 am

Got a new deal with Virgin. Not brilliant but over £30 pm saving with a new router, upgraded BB and a 12 month contract. They wouldn't move enough on Sky Sports so I will just get a 2 months subscription with Now for the Lions Tour.

Got my Kodi to fall back on as well.
3times

Postby Mega Ron on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:11 pm

I received a letter today saying that Virgin are scheduled to lay cable in my street.

I'm very excited about this. We had the house rewired to make the most of the shocking normal service so expect a super, superfast house in the very near future.
Mega Ron

Postby Rio on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:50 pm

Mega Ron wrote:I received a letter today saying that Virgin are scheduled to lay cable in my street.

I'm very excited about this. We had the house rewired to make the most of the shocking normal service so expect a super, superfast house in the very near future.

I switched to Virgin in January. Saving £40 by doing so, but I hate it. Broadband is good, but by good the TV is abysmal
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby claretandblue82 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 pm

Mega Ron wrote:I received a letter today saying that Virgin are scheduled to lay cable in my street.

I would rather have no TV, internet and phone than get stuck with Virgin!

My Sky deal is up soon. Quite looking forward to playing Chicken with them! If I can get a Sky Q box out of them I will be happy.
claretandblue82

Postby Eggchaser on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:51 pm

mumbles87 wrote:10 days with just BT going well so far

internet works! think thats main thing

TV havent missed anything , the mrs still gets all her shows through BT and my shoes I watch on sky go via my ps4

happy days for £45 a month

I'm moving next week and BT is looking like the only viable option for internet.
The other half and I use Amazon, Netflix and Now TV mainly for TV, with the exception of sport.
So I'm thinking of getting a package with BT.

What was the lead time like for installation?
Eggchaser

Postby mumbles87 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Eggchaser wrote:
I'm moving next week and BT is looking like the only viable option for internet.
The other half and I use Amazon, Netflix and Now TV mainly for TV, with the exception of sport.
So I'm thinking of getting a package with BT.

What was the lead time like for installation?

If a new line is required its 14 days I believe

BT £43.99 a month I think my package was for infinity 1 , BT total entertainment includingBT sport

worth it
mumbles87

Postby rottiel on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:53 am

It took a few months of staying switched off but just had sky offering 75% of any package.

Just signed back up with a full package for £20 per month :thup:
rottiel

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:41 am

Yep. That's the way you do it ^^ :thup:

As I said, don't blink first.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby Eggchaser on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:00 pm

mumbles87 wrote:If a new line is required its 14 days I believe

BT £43.99 a month I think my package was for infinity 1 , BT total entertainment including BT sport

worth it

Thanks mate, that was pretty much the deal I was looking at, with phone calls etc. it was just shy of £50.
As it turns out the internet connection is pretty ***** (12-14 Mbps) so they won't provide a Sports package so we've gone with Sky instead.
Phone, Internet & TV for £65 per month.
Not a lot more than BT was going to be, so I can live with that.
Eggchaser

Postby chigwells finest on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:46 pm

ive just bought a new house on a new development and move in AUG, ive been told there will be no cable for fibre optics so can only have sky or ordinary broadband , genius forward thinking
chigwells finest

Postby Eggchaser on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:43 pm

chigwells finest wrote:ive just bought a new house on a new development and move in AUG, ive been told there will be no cable for fibre optics so can only have sky or ordinary broadband , genius forward thinking

I'm moving into a house that is less than 3 years old, there is no cable, but BT provide a fibre connection.
Unfortunately it is apparently so far from my house that the bandwidth drops from 72 Mbps to a possible 14 which is effectively standard ADSL.

There are only 50 houses on the entire development, Virgin currently have no plans to provide a service and I doubt that BT will be in a rush to improve theirs either.
Eggchaser

Postby mental hamster666 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:45 am

Cancelled sky last night as it was costing £90 for fibre, and TV. That's with no movies or sports!!!
They offered £57, but told them no, just go ahead with cancellation.
My only problem is that I've no digital aerial, so basically need sky for terrestrial channels!!
Hopefully they offer me a good deal. Tho i can use sky as for freeview anyway I think!?
mental hamster666

Postby hammerdivone on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:43 am

Yes you can use any for freeview but can't record anything on the box
hammerdivone

Postby chigwells finest on Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:04 pm

mental hamster666 wrote:Cancelled sky last night as it was costing £90 for fibre, and TV. That's with no movies or sports!!!
My only problem is that I've no digital aerial, so basically need sky for terrestrial channels!!
Hopefully they offer me a good deal. Tho i can use sky as for freeview anyway I think!?

if you decide to get internet elsewhere , get a now tv subscription at 6.99 permonth, gets you sky 1, atlantic and sky living , plus a host of other half decent channels , thats good value for £ 7 pm.
chigwells finest

Postby mumbles87 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:40 pm

mental hamster666 wrote:Cancelled sky last night as it was costing £90 for fibre, and TV. That's with no movies or sports!!!

Freesat is your friend

Buy a recording box or just a viewing box

Our tv has a built in freesat tuner so just plug the sky dish in and your done
mumbles87

Postby mental hamster666 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:07 pm

2 weeks since cancellation and no phonecalls yet!! :(
mental hamster666

Postby claretandblue82 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Going to haggle with Sky later as I am now in the last 30 days of my contract. Anyone got any tips on getting the best deal?
claretandblue82

Postby FrankieMacsPerm on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:51 am

I've just moved house and currently have no TV or Broadband!!! :shock:

I am a Virgin customer and arranged for re-connection on Tuesday, took a day off so I can let them in. Turns out the cable to my new house is not working and they need to send out a new team to fit this and connect it which is not until the 12th May!

Called Virgin and advised not happy, said there was nothing they could do.

Called Sky - they have offered the equivalent package as Virgin for half the price but on an 18 month package and can fit it all next week. Called Virgin to cancel, they then offered the same deal but on a 12 month package with new equipment and the 200 mega bit thing on broadband, but still cannot come until 12th May.

I can get a Mi-Fi to temporarily have broadband - but there is no TV connection currently.

Sky has better TV and can come sooner - but Virgin is better broadband and to be honest I've not had too much of an issue thus far with them - I hear Sky broadband is crap. Is this true?
FrankieMacsPerm

Postby Mega Ron on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Our sky broadband is ok but is never faster than 40mb. Apparently Virgin can be up to 200.
Mega Ron

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug