One's and Two's

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

One's and Two's

Postby Romford on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Remember a few months back a few people were drooling over some brown brogues...saw these today in size 10 & 11 in Utter Nutter , Romford for 85 sovs

http://www.matchesfashion.com/products/ ... Cadp%3A1o3
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 39041
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Romford on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Anyone else seen any other shoe bargains about ?
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 39041
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Claretdave on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Romford wrote:Remember a few months back a few people were drooling over some brown brogues...saw these today in size 10 & 11 in Utter Nutter , Romford for 85 sovs

http://www.matchesfashion.com/products/ ... Cadp%3A1o3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


I have never tried Grenson, but that is a nice looking shoe for £85.
User avatar
Claretdave
Harry's estranged lovechild
 
Posts: 25631
Joined: Fri May 16, 2003 1:43 pm
Location: Congratulations you have just met the LME (Liberal Metropolitan Elite).

Re: One's and Two's

Postby RichieRiv on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:04 pm

I tend to have a day trip up to Northamptonshire to get my shoes.

All the major shoe makers have outlets. Crockett and Jones only open on Fridays and Saturdays for a few hours, but others (Trickers, Church's, Jeffrey West, John Lobb, Joseph Cheaney) are open longer and on more days a week.
User avatar
RichieRiv
 
Posts: 13594
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:35 pm
Location: http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Romford on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:04 pm

I love them....elegant but still stylish. Have half a dozen pairs

Not a big brogue man though moi...
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 39041
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Romford on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:05 pm

RichieRiv wrote:I tend to have a day trip up to Northamptonshire to get my shoes.

All the major shoe makers have outlets. Crockett and Jones only open on Fridays and Saturdays for a few hours, but others (Trickers, Church's, Jeffrey West, John Lobb, Joseph Cheaney) are open longer and on more days a week.


Is it worth it or do they only do seconds ?

I get the hump with these "factory" shops...
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 39041
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Romford on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 pm

User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 39041
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: One's and Two's

Postby The Collector on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:19 pm

RichieRiv wrote:I tend to have a day trip up to Northamptonshire to get my shoes.

All the major shoe makers have outlets. Crockett and Jones only open on Fridays and Saturdays for a few hours, but others (Trickers, Church's, Jeffrey West, John Lobb, Joseph Cheaney) are open longer and on more days a week.


Didn't realise Lobb did off the shelf. I thought that you needed them to make a last of your feet before they made bespoke shoes for you.

First stop for me when my euro millions comes in, a trip to Jermyn Street. Then a trip the cellars of Justerini and Brooks.
User avatar
The Collector
 
Posts: 4651
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:59 pm
Location: Location, Location

Re: One's and Two's

Postby RichieRiv on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Some are end of line, others have failed quality control, which for Crockett and Jones is quite high. The two pairs I have had minor surface scratches which polished out in one hit. Considering I've paid full price previously, worn them once and scuffed them up, I thought **** it. For less than half price and a tin of kiwi parade gloss plus some petrol money, it's worth it.

Admittedly Northampton is not exactly Bath, but some of the others are out in the countryside and you can always find a nice boozer for lunch.

It's also best to go open minded if you don't want to be disappointed,
User avatar
RichieRiv
 
Posts: 13594
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:35 pm
Location: http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Romford on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:47 pm

RichieRiv wrote:Some are end of line, others have failed quality control, which for Crockett and Jones is quite high. The two pairs I have had minor surface scratches which polished out in one hit. Considering I've paid full price previously, worn them once and scuffed them up, I thought **** it. For less than half price and a tin of kiwi parade gloss plus some petrol money, it's worth it.

Admittedly Northampton is not exactly Bath, but some of the others are out in the countryside and you can always find a nice boozer for lunch.

It's also best to go open minded if you don't want to be disappointed,


I will meet up with Mad Bob :)
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 39041
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Romford on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:49 pm

The Collector wrote:
Didn't realise Lobb did off the shelf. I thought that you needed them to make a last of your feet before they made bespoke shoes for you.

First stop for me when my euro millions comes in, a trip to Jermyn Street. Then a trip the cellars of Justerini and Brooks.


Was watching a programme the other day and John Lobb made shoes for Sinatra...and David Niven :thup:

Best cheese shop in London is in Jermyn Street btw

https://www.paxtonandwhitfield.co.uk/
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 39041
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Monkeybubbles on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:06 am

On a slightly different tip, my lad has just started working in the Dr Martens shop. 55% discount, which is nice if you like DMs.

I haven't had a pair for thirty years or something. Bit shocked to find some of them were like 300 quid now.
User avatar
Monkeybubbles
 
Posts: 2997
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:00 pm
Location: Rumble, Brighton, Tonight.

Re: One's and Two's

Postby The Overlook on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:44 am

I haven't got much on the discount front, but I've bought two pairs of Redwings in the last six months and they've been quality.

QPR-ville, but Stuarts on the Uxbridge Road is a really good shop.
User avatar
The Overlook
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:57 pm
Location: KT1

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:On a slightly different tip, my lad has just started working in the Dr Martens shop. 55% discount, which is nice if you like DMs.

I haven't had a pair for thirty years or something. Bit shocked to find some of them were like 300 quid now.


They would be the made in England ones.... Proper thick leather that makes your feet bleed for months
User avatar
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
 
Posts: 6327
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:07 pm
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Re: One's and Two's

Postby woodgreenspur on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Not bad.Nice colour,hey would polish/antique up nice.
Prefer the long wing brogue myself, but they ain't bad at all.
woodgreenspur
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:29 pm
Location: Wood green, London

Re: One's and Two's

Postby sendô on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:56 pm

For the life of me I can't work out what possesses people to wear brogues. Frankly, I find them all to be a bit weird. Give me a proper pair of shoes every day.
User avatar
sendô
 
Posts: 22085
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:41 pm
Location: in the pessimistically optimistic camp.

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Image
User avatar
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
 
Posts: 11881
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:29 am
Location: The oil drum in the Garden of England

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:On a slightly different tip, my lad has just started working in the Dr Martens shop. 55% discount, which is nice if you like DMs.

I haven't had a pair for thirty years or something. Bit shocked to find some of them were like 300 quid now.


Don't bother. They are utter gash now they're made in the Far East. I had a pair of UK made and a new Far East pair. The differences are shocking in terms of quality. The leather is really bad quality to the point I'm not sure if its even proper leather. It just feels plastic and cheap compared to the old UK made DMs. The prices are just outrageous for what they are.

The best boots by far I think are the British Army 95 Assault Boots. £40, really hardwearing and gortex lined too. I've got three pairs and love 'em. German paratrooper boots are good too, but when you wear them you get an uncontrollable urge to invade Holland and Belgium.
User avatar
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
 
Posts: 11881
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:29 am
Location: The oil drum in the Garden of England

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:48 pm

sendô wrote:For the life of me I can't work out what possesses people to wear brogues. Frankly, I find them all to be a bit weird. Give me a proper pair of shoes every day.



What constitutes a 'proper pair of shoes' to you may i ask?
User avatar
Cockneyboy311
 
Posts: 6435
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:23 pm
Location: Fascination Street

Re: One's and Two's

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Romford wrote:Remember a few months back a few people were drooling over some brown brogues...saw these today in size 10 & 11 in Utter Nutter , Romford for 85 sovs

http://www.matchesfashion.com/products/ ... Cadp%3A1o3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



All over this when i get back to Romford later. Cheers Rom!
User avatar
Cockneyboy311
 
Posts: 6435
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:23 pm
Location: Fascination Street

Next

Return to The Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kludgehammer, westhamgardner, whu333 and 8 guests