Could you outrun your immediate family over 200 metres?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Postby the celestial insect on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Saying immediate family, I include partners and in-laws.
the celestial insect

Re: Could you outrun your immediate family over 200 metres?

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:32 pm

My wife's brother was a county athlete and had trials for England rugby at schoolboy level. He played on the wing, and was almost certainly faster than I've ever been at his peak. However, he's pushing 17 stone now (albeit a "fit" 17 stone, from lots of cycling) vs my 12st 10lb, and given that I run 25-30 miles a week at the moment, I suspect I could take him.

My sister's husband is an ironman triathlete, and despite being a few years older than me, could almost certainly beat me over 200 at the moment, but I suspect it'd be close.

My uncle played rugby for the army and was called up to England at u23 level (despite being a scotch), and still holds his school record over 100m, set in the very early 70s years ago. He's a recently retired NATO general, and is still impossibly fit, but I'd guess i could take him over 200m now. Wouldn't bet on it, though. His son would probably beat me, too - saw a video of him doing a backflip off a ski ramp the the other day, and he was in the air at least 20 metres before landing, the talented little b*stard.

Basically, my family is full of very gifted athletes, and I am not one of them. But I yield to no man in my commitment and efforts in training. 14 years without a siginificant break, whilst working full time and raising a family, I'll never be at the elite level for attainment, but I do know that everything I've achieved was as a result of graft and I earned every piece of it.
DasNutNock

Postby WHU_Del on Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Even as an overweight, slightly asthmatic 47-year-old that does no exercise, I can't think of anyone in our family that I couldn't beat, with the exception of my youngest stepson.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby Bend it like Repka on Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:49 pm

I doubt if I could beat my 10 year old. I'm 47 and my left knee is knackered, If I run 5 paces I can feel it hurt.

If she took it seriously I think she'd cruise past me after 100 m when the pain became too much.

My 5 year old has never run that far, in fact in any sort of chase with me she falls over giggling after 10 meters max, so I'm confident with one member at least.

Apart from my parents, who are over 80, I have no chance with the rest.

Depressing. :(
Bend it like Repka

Postby WHU Independent on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Yup, I believe so, given the fact that my parents are old - although my old man goes down the gym 5 tines a week in he is closer to 90 than 80! - and my sisters are not overly fit, so I'd beat them. My main concern is my BIL: he's in the marines, but he's quite overweight as he's coming out soon and hasn't done much training for a long time, (he's ranked) and he's built for stamina/long distances and not speed, so it would be close given my age and decent general conditioning - like my dad I train 5 times a week (it's in the blood!).
WHU Independent

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:19 pm

I reckon my 6 year old daughter could beat quite a few posters on here that can't claim old age as an excuse, over 5k anyway. She's managed a 35 minute 5k, as well as a 46 minute 6.5k in recent weeks.

Actually, thinking about it, my sister's kids (ironman dad) could probably do me over 200m. They've both posted 5k's quicker than my PB for the season. Helps that they weigh about 5 stone apiece, and they're (like their dad) all legs & lungs.
DasNutNock

Postby pablo jaye on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Standing at a less than athletic 5 foot 5, I would struggle to beat my 19 and 16 year old kids, both of whom are tall (my 19 yr old lad is 6'3", whilst my daughter is 5'11") and have far longer strides than my pigeon steps. However, if the 200m was at the end of a 5k race, I'd stand a chance as my end of race sprint is my secret weapon.

It would be more of a challenge against my wife, as we are fiercely competitive against each other, and I wouldn't put it past her to have tied my laces together before the starting gun went off. But I would win that one, once I had taken the shoes off and thrown them at her, tripping her up.

My dad has a dodgy hip, so I'd win that and would probably beat my mum too. My 97 year old Grandad would be more of a challenge than the parents as he is a lot more active.
pablo jaye

Postby Sweeney Bod on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:02 pm

I was athletic in my 20s, but since I buggered my leg and ankle, I would not keep up with my 70 year old mum.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:35 pm

No.

My youngest son did his first Marathon last year, just to see if he could last the distance since he got an entry to this year's London Marathon. He didn't really train for it but still did it in 2h 54m.

Mrs. Boots PB for a road Marathon (she prefers trails) is 3h 28m, set st 55 years of age.

I'm much happier walking round a golf course in three and a half hours.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Mrs. Boots PB for a road Marathon (she prefers trails) is 3h 28m, set st 55 years of age.

VERY impressive .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby yonni on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:35 am

Mum, yes ,wife yes, sons yes, mother and father in law yes, brothers and sisters in law yes, my brother just, his sons not a chance in hell. They both had 6 packs at 14 & 15, both are 6'2" now and ones about to join the Marines the other is a decent all rounder currently playing in goal for his local side. I'm 50 and slowing down fast.
yonni

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:45 am

No .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:08 am

all except my 16 year old son
psychoscoredthelot

Postby CMNinja on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:49 am

No. My sister and her husband are both runners, my wife was a county sprinter. I'm quietly confident I could outrun my 18-month-old daughter over that distance tho. Victory!
CMNinja

Postby ageing hammer on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:57 am

Depends how angry the lion is :D
ageing hammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:14 pm

My wife would smash me as she is a good athlete

I would beat my mum and dad (they are 70!), my sister (who is 45 and 5ft), my nieces who are 8 and 10, and my daughter who is 5 months old. My sisters husband would be an interesting dual as despite being late 40s, with no sporting pedigree, he is a very tall and very strong (he is a rural Australian), so likely to be pretty fit

Mother in law would present no problem, but father in law despite being close to 70 is a very fit sporty man and so could potentially beat me, but likely not. Brother in law (Wife's brother) is overweight but seven years younger than me and has an athletic past so would a close one i expect
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby warp on Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:31 pm

i have a good build for 200m, i was in the fastest twelve (that could be arsed) in my school so went to an inter-school thing and got murdered by some guys who did some actual training. still, a school day off!

my sister's boyfriend would probably beat me right now: he's about ten years younger and part time lifeguard so is definitely fitter, but give me a couple of weeks of training and it would be a good race.
still not married though, so technically not family :scarfer:

my sister wouldn't run to catch a bus, while the current she-warp wouldn't run to save her life...

bloke in my office is training for a half marathon. which is irrelevant, i just thought i'd mention it.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:06 pm

My father-in-law weighs around 125Kg, and likes to tell me that he was an excellent half-marathon runner in his youth. So much so that his PB, set in his early 30s, has improved from 1h 40 to 1h 25 in the 10 years or so that I've known him.
DasNutNock

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:24 pm

The answer is... yeah easy. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm a good runner though.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Iron-worx on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:45 pm

I can still sprint as fast as I ever could but I'm not sure how far, I haven't sprinted further than about 70 meters for a long time but do sprint that distance fairly regularly whenever I go for a walk, I sprint across a field. I could always beat most comers in a sprint race, certainly all of my family.

A 200 metre sprint I doubt at full pace because at full pace I'm running out of puff at 70 metres, perhaps at reduced pace but I don't know as I haven't run that far for ages. I don't think that's too bad given I'll be sixty in a couple of weeks.
Iron-worx

Next

Return to The Snug