ELI5

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

ELI5

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:52 pm

This is something I have seen on Reddit and thought it was a good idea.

It means 'Explain like I'm 5' and is where people ask for something they don't understand to be explained to them like you would to a 5 year old child. And it can be about literally any subject.

So as a start, in various NUMB threads Obamacare gets mentioned a lot. Can someone explain in simple terms why, in a country where uninsured people can be bankrupted by a single medical emergency, there was/is so much opposition to this idea. But in simple terms only!

And of course, please add any questions you might have.

(I did wonder if this was too similar to 'Things you always wanted to know' but I think it's different enough to be worth it's own thread - we'll see I guess!)
Hammer1972

Re: ELI5

Postby yonni on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:29 pm

OK, I don't have a detailed explanation but my take on it is this:

Most (reasonable?) jobs in the U.S. come with dental and healthcare insurance as part of the package. Healthcare in the U.S. is a massive part of the economy with people being sent for scans etc. for even minor ailments resulting in huge bills to the provider. There is a culture of belt and braces approach to rule out everything during diagnosis. No bad thing, but very costly. Something the NHS could never afford to do. So, Obamacare feels to many Americans like a tax on the middle and upper income earners to support the poor and illegal immigrants. That's not my take on it that is the perception among many. It also goes against the historical American work ethic of if you work hard enough you'll achieve, i.e. don't expect others to take care of you, look out for number 1.

I have never worked in the US so I'm happy to be proved wrong by anyone based over there?

My ELI5 would be can anyone explain the Circle of Fifths in music theory and how to use it?
yonni

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks, that helps a bit. I was under the impression that relatively few jobs (compared to the UK) came with healthcare so that's interesting.

In ELI5 terms, how does/did the scheme actually work? In the UK the NHS is paid for by taxation, whereas private healthcare policies are bought by individuals/companies for their staff. How do people 'get' Obamacare and is it compulsory?
Hammer1972

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Another one.

While reading my little boy some pages out of his kids encyclopedia the other night, there was a cross section of the earth from the crust right down to the inner core. It even had what appeared to be an exact radius of the inner core.

ELI5 how on earth we know what is at the centre of the planet in such detail?
Hammer1972

Postby ageing hammer on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:37 pm

I read on skynews that an artist died Sir Howard Hodgkin (RIP)

I then googled his abstract art collection and I'm sorry to say as usual I just don't get abstract art at all.

It looks like what any 5 year old could do.

So I googled how to explain abstract art and this is what came up ( below ).

It sounds like a load of bolllox to me ( like the emperor's new clothes) but I stand to be corrected by one of you learned chaps :D

IMO if you got some of the stuff done by some school kids and popped them into one of these exhibitions how many people could tell the difference.

Here is the explanation:

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Abstract art is open to interpretation, and that is one of the beautiful things about it. Abstract art doesn't jump out and declare "THIS is what I'm all about." Instead, abstract art requires you to have an open, inquiring mind; you must enter the painting and see where it takes you. Abstract art gives you the freedom to explore the artwork and assign your own meaning to the piece. This intensely personal process enriches a viewer's experience of an artwork.

Understanding abstract art does not come naturally for everyone. It is the kind of art that makes some people scratch their heads and say, "My 5-year old could do that." What people don't realize is that the best abstract artists have excellent drawing skills, a finely honed sense of composition, and a deep understanding of the workings of color. Most abstract artists have the ability to draw a perfectly rendered rose or a realistic portrait, but they choose not to. Instead they choose to express their creativity by creating a visual experience that is more free and unencumbered by the weight of objects.

Abstract art can also make people uneasy because they don't automatically know what the art is "about" just by a cursory glance. Or they assume that because it doesn't look like anything, then it is not "about" anything. Abstract art doesn't contain recognizeable objects, so there is nothing to grasp or hold onto. This can be very confusing, even threatening, to some who are not used to assigning their own meaning to what they see before them.

The truth is, abstract art is not "about nothing". At its basis, it is about form, color, line, texture, pattern, composition and process. These are the formal qualities of artwork, because they describe what the art looks like and how it is created. Abstract art is an exploration of these formal qualities. Meaning is derived from how these formal qualities are used to create a visual (and/or visceral, cerebral, emotional, etc) experience.
ageing hammer

Postby SxHammer on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:39 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:ELI5 how on earth we know what is at the centre of the planet in such detail?

Educated guess work
SxHammer

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:48 pm

SxHammer wrote:
Educated guess work

But based on what? We haven't drilled to the centre of any other planets as far as I am aware!
Hammer1972

Postby SxHammer on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:But based on what? We haven't drilled to the centre of any other planets as far as I am aware!

Gravitation pull, seismology, observations of the universe (the amount of iron), probably other things.
SxHammer

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Ok thanks, not sure that would help many 5 year olds though! :wink:
Hammer1972

Postby SxHammer on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:Ok thanks, not sure that would help many 5 year olds though! :wink:

I refer you back to my previous answer.
SxHammer

Postby mushy on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:
ELI5 how on earth we know what is at the centre of the planet in such detail?

Jules Verne went there once and took notes.
mushy

Postby James P on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:38 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:ELI5 how on earth we know what is at the centre of the planet in such detail?

I think the same about all that we "know" about dinosaurs.

I get that carbon dating can age the fossils and I'm guessing things like mineral content will tell us about diet, but how do they know about stuff like colour and hunting methods and how dinosaurs eyes worked and mating habits and the rest of it. Is it all just conjecture?
James P

Postby Vince on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:01 pm

yonni wrote:OK, I don't have a detailed explanation but my take on it is this:

Most (reasonable?) jobs in the U.S. come with dental and healthcare insurance as part of the package. Healthcare in the U.S. is a massive part of the economy with people being sent for scans etc. for even minor ailments resulting in huge bills to the provider. There is a culture of belt and braces approach to rule out everything during diagnosis. No bad thing, but very costly. Something the NHS could never afford to do. So, Obamacare feels to many Americans like a tax on the middle and upper income earners to support the poor and illegal immigrants. That's not my take on it that is the perception among many. It also goes against the historical American work ethic of if you work hard enough you'll achieve, i.e. don't expect others to take care of you, look out for number 1.

I have never worked in the US so I'm happy to be proved wrong by anyone based over there?

My ELI5 would be can anyone explain the Circle of Fifths in music theory and how to use it?

You are on the right track. One of the first questions asked in an interview is what type of benefit package do you offer. To get anyone semi reasonable any company has to offer health, dental, vision, 401k(pension) short and long term disability.
From first hand knowledge I can tell you that in a 12 month period, my companies health costs went from $ 175k per year to over $ 250k year. This was for a 15 person company. On top of that you have all the other insurances. The company paid 80% of those costs the remaining 20% was paid by the employees.
Bear in mind you still have deductibles and also some costs that may not be covered by the insurance company.
When my youngest busted up his shoulder playing American Football, he had to have key hole surgery.
Cost us $ 4-5 k from memory. If we did not have it would have been nearer the $ 50k mark,
Obamacare wanted to make sure that everyone could afford health care. Which of course is as it should be.
Problem was costs rocketed, employers and employees had to pay a lot more. As mentioned on NUMB some companies stopped health care as a benefit full stop as they could not afford it.

One of the major gripes here and this get's a little delicate, is that when you go to the Emergency room, you invariably see a lot of 'foreigner's. Here in ATL we have a lot of Hispanics who do the manual work, mainly because Americans are too lazy to be in the hot sun every day sweating their gonads off. Have to say the one's that have worked for us in the past are very good workers, not frightened in putting in a shift. Because many of them are here illegally, they do not pay taxes, have no health insurance so when there is any little health issue they go to the ER as they can get free treatment.
This detracts from the medical teams taking care of people that are in real need, plus of course end of the day someone has to pay and that is the taxpayer.
Now I no longer have my own company I have to pay $ 20k a year on health costs for my family. Have to make $ 30k just to cover it.
Maybe not the EL15 answer you was looking for.
Vince

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:39 pm

The Earth's core ELI5

When you 'see' something, let's say a football, light waves from the Sun bounce off it and into your eye. Your brain interprets these waves and deduces it's a football.

Light waves can't pass through the Earth but other types of waves can. Sound is one type of wave which can and does pass through the Earth, they can also bounce off things like when you hear an echo. Scientists make a loud noise at the Earth's surface often with an explosive. They have detectors all over the surface which detect the waves that pass through and those that get reflected. They measure all sorts of things like how long the waves and its echoes take to get to a particular point and what pitch the sound is when it gets there. From these and other measurements they can work out what's deep down inside the Earth.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby delbert on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:13 pm

Where do babies come from..?
delbert

Postby Hammer1972 on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:24 pm

This is great, I'm learning stuff already!
Hammer1972

Postby uptonparkhurst on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:31 am

yonni wrote:My ELI5 would be can anyone explain the Circle of Fifths in music theory and how to use it?

I'm self-taught and just about understand the concepts. I think it's most useful for people who write
music in standard notation because it shows you what keys have sharps/flats in and what these are.
Tbh, I couldn't begin to explain it and I feel like a five-year old just thinking about it!.
This is an extremely good explanation (imho):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UxzDjU3-hM
---------------
People also use it to show the relationship between chords in a key, (see clip at 8mins 15secs),
and for transposing music from one key to another.
I think a lot may depend on whether you are coming at this as a keyboard player or guitarist, and whether you already know what is meant by first,third,fifth - the building blocks for a major chord - etc.

These are easily explained - without recourse to much mind-numbing theory - or the Circle of Fifths!
You just need a 13 * 13 grid with all the 12 notes in the scale, starting with C and ending on the C one octave higher.
So the first line is C,C#,D,D#,E and so on through to the next C.
All the notes of the C major scale (C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C) don't include any sharps or flats - so C is the first, D the second,E the third, and so on. (It sounds like the clip at 8mins 15secs)
The next line of the grid shows C#,D,D#,E,F and so on.
The line after that shows D,D#,E,F,F# and so on.
Finally, you highlight the 1,,3, and 5 columns. This gives you an instant cross-reference.
(I've got a jpeg of a grid somewhere..)
Last edited by uptonparkhurst on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uptonparkhurst

Location: An Alternate Reality of Evil Spells and worse spelling

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:47 am

Hammer1972 - this is a great idea for a new thread . :thup:

Has wonderful potential .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby claretandblue82 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Why are Mummy and Daddy always fighting? :cry:
claretandblue82