Grow 2017

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Grow 2017

Postby jevs on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:21 pm

It's that time again. Spring is here, the daffs are flowering, the blackthorn is out and the sap is rising.

Got myself an allotment this year....just a half size one. It needs a lot of work....perennial weeds need spraying off, a fence needs putting round to stop the rabbits and it needs to be dug. Got potatoes chitting and leeks are now up. Got to get some onion sets soon and then all the other stuff starts....chantennay carrots, parsnips, spring onions, mange tout peas, sweetcorn, courgettes, golden beetroot....and probably lots more

Conservatory at home is now a plant production centre....propagating bench with undersoil heating the works. Tomatoes, peppers and chillis all up and pricked out. Sowed loads of ornamental herbaceous perennials this year and they've all come up. As they're pricked out, they get the chance to establish for a week or two before going down into the unheated greenhouse.

So loads going on....it's a good time to be a gardener.
jevs

Re: Grow 2017

Postby Francoisvander or else on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:27 pm

jevs wrote:It's that time again. Spring is here, the daffs are flowering, the blackthorn is out and the sap is rising.

Got myself an allotment this year....just a half size one. It needs a lot of work....perennial weeds need spraying off, a fence needs putting round to stop the rabbits and it needs to be dug. Got potatoes chitting and leeks are now up. Got to get some onion sets soon and then all the other stuff starts....chantennay carrots, parsnips, spring onions, mange tout peas, sweetcorn, courgettes, golden beetroot....and probably lots more

Conservatory at home is now a plant production centre....propagating bench with undersoil heating the works. Tomatoes, peppers and chillis all up and pricked out. Sowed loads of ornamental herbaceous perennials this year and they've all come up. As they're pricked out, they get the chance to establish for a week or two before going down into the unheated greenhouse.

So loads going on....it's a good time to be a gardener.

Good luck with the allotment and the park this year Jevs. I'm sure its going to be looking as beautiful as ever.
Francoisvander or else

Postby hammerdivone on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Got to get my arse down the allotment this week, so much to do and so little time!

Seeds in, potatoes chitting, loads to do still but it's worth it
hammerdivone

Postby peter49uk on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:18 pm

I have some tomatoes seedling potted up and I have read they should be ok to +2 degrees hope they are right ,Its the chill factor that does them.
I have put them outside in a small plastic greenhouse and covered with fleece that i will remove during the day.
peter49uk

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Applying for an allotment now. Don't imagine we have much chance, though last time I tried, when I lived in Ascot, we got one immediately at a brand new site just round the corner from our house.

Just want to grow some basic veg and stuff and have somewhere to disappear to of a Sunday afternoon.
DasNutNock

Postby vmixture on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:22 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Applying for an allotment now. Don't imagine we have much chance, though last time I tried, when I lived in Ascot, we got one immediately at a brand new site just round the corner from our house.

Just want to grow some basic veg and stuff and have somewhere to disappear to of a Sunday afternoon.

Dont worry mate it will be the 2017 BBQ season soon and you'll have plenty to occupy yourself with on a Sunday!
vmixture

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:36 pm

I have visions of being at the allotment, on a sunny sunday afternoon, sat in a deck chair, listening to cricket on the wireless, a small bbq puffing away in the corner. Asleep.

That just sounds like nirvana at the moment.
DasNutNock

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:02 pm

I've planned to spend the weekend mornings down the allotment digging the bloody thing over, my least favourite job as it is a laborious process due to the presence of mares tail.
hammerdivone

Postby claretandblue82 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:12 pm

DasNutNock wrote:I have visions of being at the allotment, on a sunny sunday afternoon, sat in a deck chair, listening to cricket on the wireless, a small bbq puffing away in the corner. Asleep.

and smells like teen spirit.

How can you listen to cricket on the radio that sounds even more boring than watching it.
claretandblue82

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:45 pm

DasNutNock wrote:I have visions of being at the allotment, on a sunny sunday afternoon, sat in a deck chair, listening to cricket on the wireless, a small bbq puffing away in the corner. Asleep.

claretandblue82 wrote:How can you listen to cricket on the radio that sounds even more boring than watching it.

Makes for a pleasant background noise when you're busy having a nice snooze.
DasNutNock

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:35 pm

I do the morning on the allotment, back home in the garden in the pool, some frosty beers and cricket on the radio :thup:
FreeWheeling

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:44 pm

You have a pool? How come I haven't got a pool? I want a pool!

Sounds like my kinda lifestyle :)
DasNutNock

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:51 pm

only an 10 ft one, bought it for the granddaughter but I got the most use out of it last summer
spent a Friday afternoon last year , BBQ smoking in the corner, radio on, sat in the pool (water temp 30C)
and found out that after around 4 Henry Westons Vintage that I was at peace with the world
FreeWheeling

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:54 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:only an 10 ft one, bought it for the granddaughter but I got the most use out of it last summer
spent a Friday afternoon last year , BBQ smoking in the corner, radio on, sat in the pool (water temp 30C)
and found out that after around 4 Henry Westons Vintage that I was at peace with the world

I know that feeling :)

Got the kid a new paddling pool last summer. Hopefully the mercury will climb to a level where it's worth getting out again...
DasNutNock

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:58 pm

I bought heavy duty black pond liner, cut it to shape, it sits on the top of the water, absorbs all the sunlight it acts as an insulator and heater all in one
FreeWheeling

Postby Rocketron on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:27 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:I bought heavy duty black pond liner, cut it to shape, it sits on the top of the water, absorbs all the sunlight it acts as an insulator and heater all in one

Here Be Cleverness.
Rocketron

Postby jevs on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:I bought heavy duty black pond liner, cut it to shape, it sits on the top of the water, absorbs all the sunlight it acts as an insulator and heater all in one

Bubble wrap does the same.
jevs

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Tried that Jevs, The black liner is way better
FreeWheeling

Postby hammerdivone on Sun May 07, 2017 9:44 pm

Thought this should be resurrected...

Spent another three hours down the allotment today. Now have in the ground broad beans, runner beans, white & red onions, shallots, garlic, carrots, leeks, two rows of spuds, redcurrants and blackcurrants in the cage, raspberries and of course rhubarb! Parsnips and courgettes to go in as well as some toms and chillis (also growing these in the greenhouse along with mini cucumber).

Still plagued by Mares Tail but keeping on top of it.

All the bedding plug plants potted on ready for planting up at the end of the month.
hammerdivone

Postby jevs on Mon May 08, 2017 5:52 am

Pretty up to date with everything. Tomatoes and cucumbers in their final pots, Runners, french climbers and mangetout, along with sweetcorn and courgettes all up and ready to be planted at the end of May.
Golden beetroot and leeks ready to go in and will sow parsnips and chantennay carrots this week.

All looking good on the ornamental side too although my trailing Begonia plugs are very slow to get going. All Dahlias, Cannas and tuberous begonias are looking good and virtually all the hardy herbaceous perennials i sowed in January are fully hardened off and ready for planting at work.

Never usually this organised!!!!!

Edit, decided not to proceed with the lotty. It needs so much work done to make it rabbit proof that it wasn't worth the time or expense. Got a couple of small beds in the garden plus lots of large tubs so i'm quite happy with that for what i want to grow,
jevs

Next

Return to The Snug