Grow 2017

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Grow 2017

Postby FreeWheeling on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:23 pm

Went over the allotment today
Going to have to write this year off as not had the time to keep on top of it
Got some spuds , beets , carrot and some Toms on the go apart from that nothing
I need to get my act together over the winter to get all in order
FreeWheeling

Postby hammerdivone on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:02 pm

First of many, all veg home grown (new potatoes, broad beans, runner beans, carrots) and herbs for the chicken too

hammerdivone

Postby pablo jaye on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Have some fruit on my potatoes for the first time ever - never realised they had fruit and that they are poisonous.
pablo jaye

Postby djclipz on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 am

I've been growing some chilli plants this year, and another housemate is growing peppers and tomatoes etc.. I spotted the other day he has got tons of aphids all over his pepper plants and i've now caught some on mine but keep removing them whenever I notice!

Am I screwed? Whats best to get rid of them without using some kind of pesticide? I've just been blasting water at them and wiping the leaves clean.

I have already had a go at him, his plants aren't allowed anywhere near mine. haha.

hammerdivone wrote:First of many, all veg home grown (new potatoes, broad beans, runner beans, carrots) and herbs for the chicken too

Fair play! :thup:
djclipz

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am

Spray the plants with a solution of 10ml washing up liquid in 1 gallon of water :thup:
hammerdivone

Postby djclipz on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:21 am

Ahhh nice, will do boss! Cheers.
djclipz

Postby Blow Bubbles on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Having a blinding year with toms and chillies in pots and hanging baskets this year! Made the decision to swap to my front garden, which is south facing after many years trying to make the best of the north facing and windy back garden - and it has really paid off!
Blow Bubbles

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 am

Broad beans over a few weeks ago but were lovely and frozen a few bags as well. Runners coming out of our ears and frozen loads, and the courgettes have been cooked in as many ways as possible!

New potatoes all dug up now and starting to dig main crop. Shallots all dug, prepared and pickled (9 jars), onions red and white drying, raspberries are large and delicious on the breakfast cereal every morning, butternut squash is growing like triffids and two are almost ready for picking, looking like a bumper crop and leaks will be a good size this year. All this down the allotment.

Chillis growing very nicely as are toms in the greenhouse at home.

Happy days
hammerdivone

Postby Tenbury on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:19 am

Weird summer,with the wet Aug threatening to ruin my remontant soft fruit, but the fig tree has excelled itself,I've had 28 ripe figs,and the tree's only 5 yo.
Tenbury

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:24 am

Hmmm, ripe figs very jealous!

Also been blackberrying as well and scrumping a few cooking apples.

Oh and I forgot the rhubarb off the allotment as well. Mrs hd1 makes a rhubarb and ginger sponge which is delicious :thup:
hammerdivone

Postby jevs on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:27 am

Tomatoes.....i never want to see another one of these critters for as long as i live!!!! I've had bucket fulls on a daily basis. I can't give them away fast enough. No point cooking them as i only like fresh tomatoes....i don't like them cooked in any way.
jevs

Postby Rocketron on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:39 pm

jevs wrote:Tomatoes.....i never want to see another one of these critters for as long as i live!!!! I've had bucket fulls on a daily basis. I can't give them away fast enough. No point cooking them as i only like fresh tomatoes....i don't like them cooked in any way.

Have you thought about making your own Passata, jevs?
Rocketron

Postby hammerdivone on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:58 pm

or Tomato Chutney?
hammerdivone

Postby Tenbury on Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:55 am

Rocketron wrote:

Have you thought about making your own Passata, jevs?

I bought a little passata machine when I had a few spare quid a couple of years ago, it's hand powered .Probably the best piece of kit I've ever to found.
Tenbury

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 pm

Rotivated most of the allotment at the weekend, covered with manure and waiting for the first proper frost before covering it.

Still got around half a dozen butternut squash still growing and a row of leeks but no other winter veg this year.

We've got a freezer full of runner beans, broad beans, ratatouille from the courgettes, rhubarb, cooking apples pilfered from the tress on abandoned allotments and blackberries from the hedgerow alongside.

Have loads of onions hanging in the garage, a large sack of potatoes and 10 butternut squash that are now hardened off and stored.

Also made pickled shallots, plum jam, red and green tomato chutney, tomato and chilli chutney and just waiting on the last of the chillies to ripen off so that they can be dried.

We also had fresh raspberries on our cereal every morning for weeks and weeks.

It's been a great year, a big learning experience, but a very enjoyable one!
hammerdivone

Postby jevs on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:10 am

Yeah had bumper crops this year HD. Bloody sick of the sight of Tomatoes we've had so many. I tend to eat all my Leeks in the summer as i like them stir fried (with a bit of balsamic) with salads.
Courgettes have been fab, got sweet peppers coming out of my ears and the golden beetroot was awesome gently slow roasted.

Going to be a bit of a challenge next year. Moved in with the Doris who has a huge garden with nowhere to grow stuff except in containers. The soil there is heavy clay so that's a challenge in itself. Still, that's what makes gardening more fun.
jevs

Previous

Return to The Snug