Food Hygeine rating

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Food Hygeine rating

Postby Romford on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:03 pm

3times wrote:In Hornchurch there is a popular Turkish Restaurant nr Emerson Park station. Here is its latest rating

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en- ... t-Havering" ;

I'm still going there this weekend :thup:

Adds to the taste....
Romford
Big X

Postby chigwells finest on Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:22 pm

the country is being overtaken by turkish restaurants , ( didnt they used to be called kebab shops before :-) )
chigwells finest

Postby Romford on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:24 pm

chigwells finest wrote:the country is being overtaken by turkish restaurants , ( didnt they used to be called kebab shops before

Very happy days :thup:
Romford
Big X

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:30 pm

The latest craze started by Shish in Chigwell and given publicity on TOWIE. Since then you can't move in North East London/ Essex for 'upmarket' Turkish restaurants with bright lights, high ceilings and more fake tan you can shake a stick at. There is two within about 50 yards of each other in Woodford Green

Gives places a licence to charge ridiculous prices for what is essence grilled meat and rice

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Turkish food but all seems a bit OTT
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby nickkarkie on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:35 pm

So Crouchend when you go to any other restaurant essentially all you are eating is grilled/oven roasted/ deep fried protein with rice/vegetables/fruit, if they buy quality ingredients and make them taste nice and people enjoy going then what they charge is fair. People want to go out to eat but don't realise that it restaurant costs are probably close to 3k a week more than takeaway costs, you are sitting there for 2 hours having someone serve you instead of taking it and going.

People have a choice. Look at the restaurant menu and go out to eat happy to pay the price if they enjoy the food or stay home and get your own bbq out and cook your own meat :)
nickkarkie

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:52 pm

chigwells finest wrote:the country is being overtaken by turkish restaurants , ( didnt they used to be called kebab shops before :-) )

Hurrah! You can't beat Turkish. I always find them generous with their portions too, not like the Greek kebab places who seem to scrimp on thier portions. The chicken tastes a lot nicer in Turkish places too.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:04 pm

nickkarkie wrote:So Crouchend when you go to any other restaurant essentially all you are eating is grilled/oven roasted/ deep fried protein with rice/vegetables/fruit, if they buy quality ingredients and make them taste nice and people enjoy going then what they charge is fair. People want to go out to eat but don't realise that it restaurant costs are probably close to 3k a week more than takeaway costs, you are sitting there for 2 hours having someone serve you instead of taking it and going.

People have a choice. Look at the restaurant menu and go out to eat happy to pay the price if they enjoy the food or stay home and get your own bbq out and cook your own meat :)

I have no problem with it. Going out to eat is probably my favourite pleasure in life, and have no problemo paying top whack for decent grub/ ambience/ setting etc etc

I am just surprised the 'Turkish craze' has taken off as much as it has, given you can go to Yassars or Wood Oven (South Woodford), still eat in and have a better meal for half the price

As I said, all started from the publicity Shish got
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby nickkarkie on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:37 pm

I think it's taken off so much because the Mediterranean diet is probably one of the most healthy in the world, I'm surprised it took so long for Turkish restaurants to pop up, they've always been around in London.
nickkarkie

Postby Romford on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Weird thing in Morrisons today...

They now do a "Butchers Selection" in one big package all together mixing a Pork Shoulder, Pork Chops some braising steak and some steak mince.

When i was a butcher...you couldn't ever mix meats for cross contamination. Every block had to be full wiped down before you changed meats for cutting.

I asked the "Butchers" at Morrison and they agreed with me but said they'd been oked by head office.

Would this be allowed in a restaurant when preparing ?
Romford
Big X

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:14 pm

Romford - I saw some too at the one in Chelmsford/Melbourne. Looked a good selection for a tenner (2.5kg of meats). Did look unusual and now I know why!
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby nickkarkie on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:00 am

Romford wrote:Weird thing in Morrisons today...

They now do a "Butchers Selection" in one big package all together mixing a Pork Shoulder, Pork Chops some braising steak and some steak mince.

When i was a butcher...you couldn't ever mix meats for cross contamination. Every block had to be full wiped down before you changed meats for cutting.

I asked the "Butchers" at Morrison and they agreed with me but said they'd been oked by head office.

Would this be allowed in a restaurant when preparing ?

Wouldn't make any difference if one meat touched another as it's only surface bacteria which is transferred which would be killed instantly when it hits the heat. The steak mince would be the only dangerous one that would need cooking to 73c and above
nickkarkie

Postby Big George on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:59 pm

You might like this Nick

https://twitter.com/Highgatemums/status ... 8091820034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big George

Postby Romford on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:14 pm

nickkarkie wrote:
Wouldn't make any difference if one meat touched another as it's only surface bacteria which is transferred which would be killed instantly when it hits the heat. The steak mince would be the only dangerous one that would need cooking to 73c and above

So why have we been cleaning down after a change of meat since dinosaurs...is this somthing new ?
Romford
Big X

Previous

Return to The Snug