Food Hygeine rating

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Food Hygeine rating

Postby Big George on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Does anyone ever check these before choosing where to eat?

After going away with my wife's brother's family I've had my eyes opened. His wife checked everywhere online before we ate and refused to eat anywhere that wasn't a five out of five

Was mildly concerned that my regular Curry House has a three out of five and my six year old's favourite family cafe is a two...

I know in Westminster the council punished restaurants with zero rating if they were serving rare burgers,

Obviously only those with a five display their rating

You can check your local here http://ratings.food.gov.uk/
Big George

Re: Food Hygeine rating

Postby sendô on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:53 pm

My favoured local curry house (from which I had a very disappointing take away 2 weeks ago) is a 1/5. :(
sendô

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby wizzo_66 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Caution with these - some of the factors include external bird **** and all sorts.

It is quite often difficult to comply with some of the requirements if you are a smaller building.

Now don't get me wrong, you generally should score well if you keep a clean kitchen etc, but if anything was actually a danger to health following an inspection, it would be shut down, not open and trading.
wizzo_66

Location: Sunny Bournemouth & the Bobby Moore Lower on Matchdays

Postby Hammers Dad on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Favourite Chinese is 5/5
Local Kebab shop is 0/5 (why the **** is it still open?)
Pub my daughter works in is 2/5
Hammers Dad

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Peri Peri wold in elm park is 1/5

delicious pigeon tho
mumbles87

Postby maltab on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:42 pm

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/1 ... in_fridge/

Won many awards for its Real Ales etc. Had a major refit.Big media coverage, then does this.
maltab

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:50 pm

The Chippy, Indian & Chinese that I use all have at least a 4. (You wouldn't think so if you saw the Indian though)
Dover KUMB fan

Postby djclipz on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm glad you brought this up... All the time now, almost obsessed with it. I can't not look it up before deciding to go anywhere. Also will be on the look out if I go near anywhere, if they are clean and got a 5 star rating, which all food establishments should have in my opinion it will be easily seen on the front door or window in full view. If it isn't obvious, they are hiding something the dirty buggers. I will not eat in that restaurant.

Seen a couple of of 0's recently... i mean what the ****, that's disgusting and they obviously don't give a **** about the people they are trying to sell food for. They should not be allowed to sell food to the public period.

Now despite all this, i will occasionally pay a visit to my favourite kebab van after some beers... He is repping a 5 star rating though. :D
djclipz

Postby delbert on Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:43 pm

I was watching one of those CCTV programs last night when they showed some manky pissed up illegal street vendor with a mobile hot dog stand. The disusting old git wiped his nose with a serviette which he then put back round a roll, when the plod arrived they chucked his wares into a bin, gave him a lecture then buggered off.
The bloke then dragged the bin out of sight before carrying on with business as usual, presumably after getting his goping food back out of the bin.

Barking & Dagenham would no doubt give him 5 Stars......... :)
delbert

Postby nickkarkie on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:51 pm

See this is where the government really need to wake up and cut out the bull****.

I'll tell you how it works for those of you who do not know. They come round to do an inspection, they will score you a zero if you do not have paperwork showing the temperatures of your fridges and random food temperatures taken every day, yes that's right, you pay £10,000 for fridges and they want you to buy a £50 thermometer and probe something in the fridge to check that it's working properly, now I'm not Einstein but a fridge made by foster has an internal thermometer and controller that are ten times better than any cheap probe.

They expect every part of your shop to be spotless even during service, it's absolutely impossible when you are serving 100 customers an hour to be spotless.

They expect every product you cooked to be labelled with the date you cooked it and put a use by date on it, now come on, why do any of us bother to do our health and hygiene course to then be treated like babies with stock rotation. It's all about covering your arse when some moron who has just eaten your food complains to the council that he has just got food poisoning about 1 hour after he ate it, when the reality is it could have been anything he ate in the previous 5 days.

Be more worried about the places that have 2 or 3 rating rather than those with 0 or 4. 4 can be something very basic like they didn't pull out one of their fridges and clean behind it, zero can be a clerical error by the inspector who has made you recommendations and is returning to do a retest and then forgets to file the paperwork.
nickkarkie

Postby nickkarkie on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:53 pm

delbert wrote:I was watching one of those CCTV programs last night when they showed some manky pissed up illegal street vendor with a mobile hot dog stand. The disusting old git wiped his nose with a serviette which he then put back round a roll, when the plod arrived they chucked his wares into a bin, gave him a lecture then buggered off.
The bloke then dragged the bin out of sight before carrying on with business as usual, presumably after getting his goping food back out of the bin.

Barking & Dagenham would no doubt give him 5 Stars......... :)

If the place looks dirty, the staff look scruffy and the equipment and surfaces don't look clean then chances are the owner is a dirty git and you really shouldn't eat in those places
nickkarkie

Postby nickkarkie on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:01 pm

Big George wrote:Does anyone ever check these before choosing where to eat?

After going away with my wife's brother's family I've had my eyes opened. His wife checked everywhere online before we ate and refused to eat anywhere that wasn't a five out of five

Ask her what she uses to clean her plates, if it's fairy liquid then tell her that's not acceptable either and she shouldnt be eating off of those plates, also needs 2 sinks, she must wash with a professional detergent, then soak in a disinfectant and then rinse in cold water. When she cleans her surfaces she must also spray and leave the chemicals on them for a minimum of 2 minutes and most probably 5 minutes. :)
nickkarkie

Postby Big George on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:35 am

nickkarkie wrote:
Ask her what she uses to clean her plates, if it's fairy liquid then tell her that's not acceptable either and she shouldnt be eating off of those plates, also needs 2 sinks, she must wash with a professional detergent, then soak in a disinfectant and then rinse in cold water. When she cleans her surfaces she must also spray and leave the chemicals on them for a minimum of 2 minutes and most probably 5 minutes. :)

She's a fierce Millwall supporting Greek woman, instead I'll give her your number.

Seriously though, it does sound a massive job creation industry. Good luck to you for trying to keep on top of it
Big George

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:05 am

Haha George, yes I know full well what Greek women are like with my dad's side of the family lol, I could never be with a Greek woman, many are highly strung and so opinionated :)
nickkarkie

Postby RichieRiv on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:55 am

The men ain't much better.
RichieRiv

Postby chigwells finest on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:01 am

5 of the 6 eating establishments within a 100 yards of my workplace are 1/5 , ffs and the other is 3/5 , one of them is a huge national supermarket
chigwells finest

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:48 am

nickkarkie wrote:Haha George, yes I know full well what Greek women are like with my dad's side of the family lol, I could never be with a Greek woman, many are highly strung and so opinionated :)

There’s a Greek restaurant / takeaway round the corner from where I used to live. It had quite a good reputation with lots of “stars” (Z-list celebrities and the odd football manager) visiting the place. The food was reasonable but a bit overrated IMO. Anyway, on more than one occasion I’d go in there and the staff (all Greek) would be arguing amongst themselves. Not a quite passive disagreement but a full blown shouting match, right in front of the customers. I always wondered what went through their minds in terms of what the customers thought, maybe they just didn’t give a ****. It looked terrible from a customer’s point of view. I stopped going there in the end and went to the Turkish place which was much nicer and the food was a whole lot better too.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Denzil on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:21 am

Bane of my F'ing life this. My Mrs found out about this website, my favourite Thai gaff in chelmsord is a 1, can't get takeaway from there anymore. Anything below a 4 is out the question now. She checks everywhere we plan to go now.

FWIW I would still eat at a 1, but I've eaten from little carts on the side of the road in deep Asia so my standards are pretty low.
Denzil

Postby Big George on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:47 am

nickkarkie wrote:Haha George, yes I know full well what Greek women are like with my dad's side of the family lol, I could never be with a Greek woman, many are highly strung and so opinionated :)

they have firm views
Big George

Next

Return to The Snug