Food Hygeine rating

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Food Hygeine rating

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:01 pm

RichieRiv wrote:The men ain't much better.

Tell me about it, the ones that have both parents who are Greek are nuts, luckily we had a Northern Irish mother who put my dad in his place :)
nickkarkie

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
There’s a Greek restaurant / takeaway round the corner from where I used to live. It had quite a good reputation with lots of “stars” (Z-list celebrities and the odd football manager) visiting the place. The food was reasonable but a bit overrated IMO. Anyway, on more than one occasion I’d go in there and the staff (all Greek) would be arguing amongst themselves. Not a quite passive disagreement but a full blown shouting match, right in front of the customers. I always wondered what went through their minds in terms of what the customers thought, maybe they just didn’t give a ****. It looked terrible from a customer’s point of view. I stopped going there in the end and went to the Turkish place which was much nicer and the food was a whole lot better too.

You are spot on with your analysis, they don't even think about what's around them when they argue as they are so stubborn and always have to be right that they get some sort of tunnel vision.

Denzil, I wouldn't go near any place with a 1 star, to get a one the place would have to be so skanky, probably old food on the floor, mice droppings, fridges that have never been cleaned, structural damage allowing pests in, rotten stock in fridge etc..
nickkarkie

Postby Fishbone on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:52 pm

There is a place near my work in St. Albans, that seems to have had a zero rating for years, even taken to court for bad hygiene, yet is is still open.

http://www.stalbansreview.co.uk/news/14404869.Takeaway_manager_sentenced_for_12_food_hygiene_offences/

Used to go there all the time and never had any problems, although with that rating, it probably made my immune system into something you would see in a Marvel comic.
Fishbone

Postby screech on Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:05 pm

a quick question, are restaurants and takeaways obliged to put down mice box/traps just in case?
i ask as there is a really nice mexican place that i usually get lunch from and recently i noticed under one of the fridges a mouse box.
does this mean the shop has mice or is it just a precaution?
screech

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:07 pm

screech wrote:a quick question, are restaurants and takeaways obliged to put down mice box/traps just in case?
i ask as there is a really nice mexican place that i usually get lunch from and recently i noticed under one of the fridges a mouse box.
does this mean the shop has mice or is it just a precaution?

Yes you have to have either a pest control contract or do your own pest control.
nickkarkie

Postby simonpaulthomas on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Diverting slightly, but it's getting the same with tattoo shops Nick - our local EHO is trying to bring in a 5 star rating for hygiene (not skill), and what you have to do to get the maximum is crazy - every different colour you used is to be written down, with a batch number, a separate clean and dirty sink for every artist in the shop... it's not been warmly welcomed as you can imagine!
simonpaulthomas

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:32 pm

Exactly Simon, what they should do if they want to give you advice is to learn the trade as well as you do. Most of the hygiene officers have never cooked food commercially in their lives. I'm all for the inspections but health and safety has gone to extreme levels in this country to the detriment of business.
nickkarkie

Postby sendô on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:05 pm

nickkarkie wrote:health and safety has gone to extreme levels in this country to the detriment of business.

On building sites we call the health and safety managers work prevention officers.
sendô

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Sounds about right :)
nickkarkie

Postby djclipz on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Goes with the times though doesn't it. We have become a more litigious society. Covering arses is no1.
djclipz

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 pm

sendô wrote:On building sites we call the health and safety managers work prevention officers.

To be fair, it was needed on building sites. When I was on the trowel, I saw some terrible accidents. In the six years I was bricklaying and hod carrying, I saw a bloke get his foot taken off by a digger, a scaffold clip hit someone on the head and almost kill them and I nearly fell through some scaffold boards that were rotten and unfit for purpose. This was just the tip of the iceberg too. Some of the mad stuff I'd done and was expected to do when I was hod carrying now send shivers down my spine when I think about it. All just wouldn't have happened now with the H&S in place.

I will admit that at times they can be over-officious but I don't think we should return to how it used to be back in the 80s and early 90s.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Kitt the car on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Big George wrote:
I know in Westminster the council punished restaurants with zero rating if they were serving rare burgers,

Think it may be all London councils with that rule, I've heard of quite a few great burger places that have been given 0 purely because they sell rare burgers,
Kitt the car

Postby pablo jaye on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Good post by Nickkarkie, explaining how the rating system works, it gives it a proper context. My kids and a mate all got food poisoning a couple of summers ago from a place that was 4/5. We were camping and their vomming kept everyone up all night until we packed up and left at 5.30am!!
pablo jaye

Postby nickkarkie on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Sounds like poor hygiene practices Pablo. Probably touching raw meat and then handling food that isn't cooked like salad or rolls, see these are the most important things that are covered by training but lazy arseholes don't want to follow them, the same type of people who probably don't wash their hands after going to the toilet.
nickkarkie

Postby RichieRiv on Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I will admit that at times they can be over-officious but I don't think we should return to how it used to be back in the 80s and early 90s.

Mate of mine is working on Attaturk airport extension - in the last 18 months there have been 17 deaths. It's considered a success and one of the safest sites in Turkey. I won't even go into the projects he's worked on in the Middle East.
RichieRiv

Postby Happyhammer93 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:50 am

For me I do care, like nickkarkie, I work in a pub/restaurant, however we are all have had (wether it's a crew member or a manager) a high level of training.

We are fortunate to have a good core core of staff who care about FHR, TripAdvisor, Facebook and any complaints.. we are a big company so obviously that helps, but we are due our next visit and everyone is being extra cautious and we have crew members who are testing our managers on a this stuff and pulling them up when things aren't right...

We are the only one out of 8 in the company in our area with a five star rating, second highest rated on trip advisor, best on Facebook ratings and have the lowest level of complaints per person.

It obviously helps that we get paid bonus for this stuff, so we do our best to follow this at all times... and the bonuses for the crew members bump their wages by a fair bit, enough to make it worth their while to do these things.

However like nickkarkie says you lose points for stupid stuff and a lot of the time I reckon they'd be better off actually investigating certain places that look, and serve, food that shouldn't be.

The probes in a fridge is my biggest gripe, what's the point in buying the ones we do if we're just gonna ignore what's actually displayed on the fridge that has been tested in various situations and generally reads the same as the probe...
Happyhammer93

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:31 am

RichieRiv wrote:Mate of mine is working on Attaturk airport extension - in the last 18 months there have been 17 deaths. It's considered a success and one of the safest sites in Turkey. I won't even go into the projects he's worked on in the Middle East.

I can well imagine. The corners that are cut in some countries is shocking and even back in the 80s, our sites were a whole lot safer than these ones are today. H&S just doesn't seem to exist in the Middle East.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Kitt the car wrote:Think it may be all London councils with that rule, I've heard of quite a few great burger places that have been given 0 purely because they sell rare burgers,

Good. Rare burgers are nasty.
DasNutNock

Postby 3times on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:36 pm

In Hornchurch there is a popular Turkish Restaurant nr Emerson Park station. Here is its latest rating

http://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/en- ... t-Havering
3times

Postby sendô on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:53 pm

They tried to stick me on the table right next to the khazi in there once, I made them give us a table at the back. Nice food but too loud and a bit posy.

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:To be fair, it was needed on building sites.

The vast improvements to safety on building sites has been made through years of legislation, and a continual improvement in attitudes. However it should be noted that most H&S officers now are little more than administrators, don't fully understand most tasks, and seem to exist only to justify their own existence. It is the PMs and supervisors who are making the sites safer, not the H&S managers.

UK death rate still averages 155 though.
sendô

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug