Private car leasing

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Private car leasing

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:29 am

It will be in the lease agreement, so if it's anything like mine, yes you have to notify them.
RichieRiv

Postby rottiel on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:12 am

Is it still better to lease if you plan to keep a car for longer than 3 years.

If for instance you keep it for 6 years would buying then not be the better option ?
rottiel

Postby whuben on Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 am

RichieRiv wrote:It will be in the lease agreement, so if it's anything like mine, yes you have to notify them.

Cheers mate. Im guessing it wont be an issue just a case of telling them
whuben

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:04 am

rottiel wrote:Is it still better to lease if you plan to keep a car for longer than 3 years.

If for instance you keep it for 6 years would buying then not be the better option ?

Why would you want to lease a car for longer than 3 years? The point is your repayment remain pretty static and you can get a brand new car every 2-3 years. That's sort of the point.
RichieRiv

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:49 am

RichieRiv wrote:
Is it on Personal Contract Hire or Business Contract Hire?

Personal Contract
Mileage allowance isn't very high, only 16,000 in total across the two years, but we don't really use it that much so can't see us going over by much, if at all
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby rottiel on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 am

RichieRiv wrote:Why would you want to lease a car for longer than 3 years?

I don't,

What I meant was if your planning to keep a car for say 6 years or longer is it then a better bet to buy ?
rottiel

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:16 pm

I would say yes because you'll be paying for 6 years of depreciation opposed to 2 or 3. I am not sure why you would want to keep a lease car for 6 years. The best thing about leasing is you get a brand new motor ever 2 to 3 years.

Leasing a car requires a change of mindset. In this country peoplel ike having the asset sitting on the drive , albeit one that depreciates every day. By leasing you don't have that asset you have a liability, but one that costs you approximately the same month on month.

It doesn't suit everyone. Most of my friends think I am mad "not owning" a car.
RichieRiv

Postby -DL- on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:33 pm

^^^^^ That's the difficulty my wife has in getting her head around leasing. 'I'm not paying £300 a month for something that's not going to be ours'.

Good job I have the final say :D

I'm going to be in the market again in around 6 months time. I've spotted some cracking deals about now. Shame I can't do it earlier.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:08 pm

I assume that the "best" comparison is to buying a new car every 2 or 3 years on credit, in which case leasing is a good option.

If you are the type of person who buys second hand, even just a year old, it perhaps doesn't look so competitive price wise.

Not having to sell your old car, or negotiate a trade-in must also be a plus for some people.
Hampshire Hammer

Postby -DL- on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Hampshire Hammer wrote:I assume that the "best" comparison is to buying a new car every 2 or 3 years on credit, in which case leasing is a good option.

If you are the type of person who buys second hand, even just a year old, it perhaps doesn't look so competitive price wise.

Not having to sell your old car, or negotiate a trade-in must also be a plus for some people.

If you're going on the ladder for the first time, if you lease through PCP from a main agent, you can still PX - which of course can bring your payments down and reduce the amount you pay up front.

I'm certainly not going down the main agent route next time. I'm very peeved with them for (deliberately?) failing to mention that there was a brand new model of my car being released 6 months after I'd got it - and as such, used values have plummeted, and it's currently in negative equity - which is why I can't change now.

I won't be using them again, and more than likely will be changing brands next time too - due to an issue with a warranty claim on the paint that I've been fobbed off over. I'm very brand loyal until the said brand pisses me off and generally never go back.

I'm hankering after a new Civic Type-R, and there are some lovely deals about at the moment. I do around 15k a year, which bumps the price up, but considering what I'm paying now for mine, a top range albeit only a 1.5D Megane Tourer, the not much extra for a Type R is a no brainer.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby FortuneZ on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm

My car lease ends in September this year, but I love this car, don't really want to change it just yet. Sent them an email, and they have agreed to extend it for an additional 12 months after, with the same monthly fee. :thup:
FortuneZ

Postby White Goodman on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:15 pm

-DL- wrote:
I'm hankering after a new Civic Type-R, and there are some lovely deals about at the moment. I do around 15k a year, which bumps the price up, but considering what I'm paying now for mine, a top range albeit only a 1.5D Megane Tourer, the not much extra for a Type R is a no brainer.

I'm liking the 2017 Type R much more than the last re vamp they did.

It's a little garish for a family car though wouldn't you say?? :)
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby -DL- on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:37 pm

White Goodman wrote:
I'm liking the 2017 Type R much more than the last re vamp they did.

It's a little garish for a family car though wouldn't you say?? :)

me too, it looks the part.

A little garish? Sure, but who cares? It's 316 bhp through just the front wheels. Every journey, the kids are going to get out with a huge grin on their faces. And so am I...
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 pm

I ventured into the lease market last year. Got a nice focus with appearance pack and a corsa Sri for the Doris. Inc servicing for the corsa £385 a month for 2 years with nationwide.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Big George on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:56 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I ventured into the lease market last year. Got a nice focus with appearance pack and a corsa Sri for the Doris. Inc servicing for the corsa £385 a month for 2 years with nationwide.

Plus VAT?
Big George

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:02 pm

No mate. Inc.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Big George on Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:08 am

:thup:
Hugh Jargon II wrote:No mate. Inc.
Big George

Previous