Nokia 3310

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Nokia 3310

Postby fandabidicksy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:21 pm

Apologies if this has already been discussed.
I've just returned from Cologne where I saw an advert for the Nokia 3310 which is being re released for €50.

The reasoning is for people who need or want a break from social media...

This got me and my pals thinking, is it worth it for an agreed time to give up the smart phone?
Life today seems to be ruled by a smart phone going off with Facebook, what's app and the like...

I run a building firm and phones are only allowed at lunch unless emergency. So much more work is getting done, I admit to being a culprit too but have stopped recently.

Wondered what the reaction would be like amongst you to giving it a go.

For what it's worth I'm not on Facebook as I find other people's lives boring and therefore think that people would think the same as mine. Nor snapchat, Instagram or Twitter.

I'm in what's app groups and visit kumb which I can do on my laptop...

Seems there is scope for going back to the days of snake.....?
fandabidicksy

Re: Nokia 3310

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:45 pm

I admire you for keeping off social media. How old are you? You'd think it would be virtually impossible for the under 25s!

I'd love to do it though and fit back to how it all is was before everything was recorded. Facebook is basically just going does nowadays, it's just but why does this mean I always get hooked in.

It's an addiction and it's ruining relationships worldwide:
LincolnshireHammer

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:58 pm

I packed in Facebook two years ago and I know it may sound sad but the freedom of it all is noticeable beyond doubt.

I'm 25 and everyone I know is on one thing or another but all I have is LinkedIn for business purposes. It's all a load of tosh and I get far more entertainment from here than the proper social media sites before.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby iLoveLasagne on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:04 am

Aged 35. Never got interested in social media at all. I use whatsapp but no more than the average person. My smartphone broke about 4-5 weeks ago. I have been using an old 'dumbphone' until I got myself a new one. I do miss YouTube whilst at the bus stop or train to work, knowing the bus times, checking the weather, googling stuff every 20 minutes but can live with it quite happily. I like the look of the new Android Nokias so am probably gonna get one of those when they are released. Until then I am ok without a smartphone. It really bugs me seeing people always on their phone all the time taking selfies and checking out instagram or snapchat even though its none of my business and doesn't affect me :-s
iLoveLasagne

Postby claretandblue82 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:57 am

Very little interest in social media from me too. I'm 34 and have a Facebook account which I might look at every now and then but don't bother posting anything because I don't hope that someone somewhere cares, if I want them to know I will tell them and not share it with someone I haven't seen for 15 years!! Also once it is online then that's it, anyone and everyone can use it without permission.

Don't do Twitter, Instagram or Snapchat either! I'll leave that to the youngsters and people who need to fill their lives will nothingness!
claretandblue82

Postby Tenbury on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 am

Never had a smartphone,got a pay as you go mobile about 4 years ago for £20(inc. £10 of credit),get about 1 call a week,but ran out of credit 6 months ago.Very useful as an alarm clock though.
Tenbury

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:55 am

I don't go on Facebook any more and have never used Twitter but i spend far too much time on WatsApp. I would rather not spend the time i do, but chatting **** with different groups of pals is very addictive

Pretty much everyone in the groups has wives and kids so all of us as bad as each other to be honest. My wife gets the hump when i am on my phone around the baby, and rightly so

I need to take myself out of the loops, but then I would miss the humour and the chat

Going to try and make a real conscious effort to only allow myself to be active on Wats App outside of the home
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:15 pm

People who sit on their phones in a pub around a group of people, or even just one other are total cretins.
LincolnshireHammer

Postby Gormalysis on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Ditched the only social media i was on (Facebook) about 2 years ago. Firstly because i found myself checking it far too often and secondly Cecil the Lion!

Do not miss it in the slightest
Gormalysis

Postby mushy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote: I do miss YouTube whilst at the bus stop or train to work, knowing the bus times, checking the weather, googling stuff every 20 minutes but can live with it quite happily

See I just dont get any of this. Not having a pop at you particularly but I just dont get any of that at all.
mushy

Postby warp on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 pm

fandabidicksy wrote:The reasoning is for people who need or want a break from social media...

that's the excuse, it's just another nostalgia operation.

i nicked my mum's smartphone when she needed a bigger one (you guys treat her too well!).
i pretty much only use whatsapp, as the camera is crap, internet is slow, and what else should i do with it?

i do not pay for data so it's just a regular phone unless there's a free network around.

and yourmumbook aside, i am not on any social network.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Return to The Snug