How "East London" are you?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: How "East London" are you?

Postby hemelite on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:35 pm

Mother's family from Forest Gate (4 Generations) Father's family from East Ham (7 generations).
I was born in West Herts.
Like all of the family I'm West Ham. But unlike them not East End and have never considered myself as such.
hemelite

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Born in Chatham as were my parents. My only connection to London is on my Dad's side of the family, his Nan came over from Cork and lived in Deptford before getting married to a Man of Kent and moved to Chatham.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby WHU_Del on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:08 pm

East London (-ish), but not East End
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby sendô on Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Born in the old Rush Green hospital and raised in sunny Hornchurch, I consider myself Essex. Old man grew up in Kennington then later Hornchurch, mum grew up in Collier Row. That's mostly East London if not east end but I still see it as Essex.
sendô

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Mam was from Amlwch , Dad from Rhosybol 3 miles outside of Amlwch - I grew up in Amlwch - the nearest we got to the East End of London was when watching ' Till Death Us Do Part ' .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby 3 Hopes on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:56 pm

Both parents from Southend and grand parents from Newham. Grew up in Thurrock but was born in Los Angeles (Probably the first person to make that move!).
Never lived in East London but do feel a connection whether it be through family or West Ham.
Plastic cockney, not really too bothered about being called that as well!
3 Hopes

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Not at all east end/London myself

Nan was born in Stratford, my Grandad in Bow, Reeves Road to be exact, right behind Bromley by Bow station. He's too old to visit the ground now but can't work out why me and my dad stand on purpose when there are seats there to sit on!

They grew up on Cromwell Road and Strone Road respectively, just off Green St. Havent been back in years. Still got the dulcet cockney tone though!

Love talking to them about their memories of the old east end. This is the generation who never went further than the bottom of Green st! My nan openly admits that if she was stranded at Plaistow station, she wouldn't know how to get back to Cromwell Rd! Only lived there for 25 years :D
LincolnshireHammer

Postby pablo jaye on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Born in Chatham as were my parents. My only connection to London is on my Dad's side of the family, his Nan came over from Cork and lived in Deptford before getting married to a Man of Kent and moved to Chatham.

All Saints Hospital?
pablo jaye

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Yes. Long since gone and now a housing estate.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby mushy on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:58 pm

To my eternal shame, I have never lived anywhere else then a 'E' postcode.
Not something to be proud of I would have thought.
mushy

Postby pablo jaye on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 am

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Yes. Long since gone and now a housing estate.

I've not been back to Chatham since leaving in the late 60s, but I read that the hospital used to be a workhouse and was the inspiration for Charles Dickens' 'Oliver Twist'.
pablo jaye

Postby Al the Airborne Dog on Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 am

mushy wrote:To my eternal shame, I have never lived anywhere else then a 'E' postcode.
Not something to be proud of I would have thought.

Same here mushy, born E13, lived in E13, E16, E16, E14 and still in E14 now.

But I'm proud of it :lol:
Al the Airborne Dog

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 am

Born in Forest Gate hospital, lived in East Ham (0.3 miles from the ground) for 24 years from birth, so always been an East Londoner. Used to sit up in the loft room, looking above the pyramid roofs of my old Central Park primary school at the huge glow from the old floodlights listening 1548am commentary, then hearing the roar around 2-3 seconds after we scored :)

All family from Silvertown, Custom House, Forest Gate and Wanstead.

East End is a different kettle of fish to East London, obviously and also find it curious that Cockneys are strongly associated with West Ham when, I believe that it's closest to Arsenal, of all clubs.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55 am

pablo jaye wrote:I've not been back to Chatham since leaving in the late 60s, but I read that the hospital used to be a workhouse and was the inspiration for Charles Dickens' 'Oliver Twist'.

This is how I remember All Saints Hospital, bit like St Swithins from the old Dirk Bogarde Doctor movies...

Originally Medway Union Workhouse as you say, closed as a hospital in 1999 with all services transferred to Medway Maritime Hospital in Gillingham and now just another sprawling housing estate.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby Shy Ted on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:12 pm

I was born in Stratford at Queen Mary's Hospital, Bancroft Road.
The Hospital buildings have all been demolished apart from the preserved entry archway in Bryant Street.
It is now a housing estate.

Mum took me to where she lived with Gran and Grandad and they lived in Colvin Road East Ham.
Shy Ted

Postby WestHamIFC on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:54 am

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:East End is a different kettle of fish to East London, obviously and also find it curious that Cockneys are strongly associated with West Ham when, I believe that it's closest to Arsenal, of all clubs.

Spot on. Based on location it should be Arsenal who are the 'Cockney' club but I wonder whether this has never happened because of their original Woolwich home?

I also find it curious that often the same people who understand there's a difference between the 'West End' and 'West London' in turn fail to understand there's a difference between the 'East End' and 'East London'...
:think:
Last edited by WestHamIFC on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestHamIFC

Postby WestHamIFC on Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 am

RichieRiv wrote:The East End finishes at Bow Flyover, so anyone born east of there and claiming to be East End is blatently not.

I've always understood the cut-off point to be the River Lea, the old pre-1965 border between Middlesex and Essex, but close enough!

The early years of the club, Syd King wrote about the "distinction of being the first professional club in Essex" and certainly the pride displayed by the West Ham Pals in WW1 identified with this rather than London:

WestHamIFC

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Shy Ted wrote:I was born in Stratford at Queen Mary's Hospital, Bancroft Road.
The Hospital buildings have all been demolished apart from the preserved entry archway in Bryant Street.
It is now a housing estate.

Mum took me to where she lived with Gran and Grandad and they lived in Colvin Road East Ham.

I'm fairly sure my Nan was born at Queen Mary's in Stratford.

I'd love to see the area where she was born, having never ventured down there on a matchday. Is there anything there worth seeing? Any plaques? Would love to get a pic for her.
LincolnshireHammer

Postby Centre Half on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:36 pm

East London (ish)

Born in Leytonstone, grew up in Chingford, went to school & now live in Woodford (Essex I know)
Centre Half

Postby Shy Ted on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:49 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:I'm fairly sure my Nan was born at Queen Mary's in Stratford.

I'd love to see the area where she was born, having never ventured down there on a matchday. Is there anything there worth seeing? Any plaques? Would love to get a pic for her.

Only the archway is there now.
The Out-Patients Department also gone, that was built as a war memorial to the dead of WW1, there was a tablet but it was lost.
The last time I was in East Ham was to visit Nan's grave at Woodgrange Park Cemetery. but they had scraped all the tombstones into a large heap for new graves, so sad to see all those people names all piled up.
I spoke to the caretaker there and he said Nans grave would not be touched as it was buried deep.
Shy Ted

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug