2017 BBQ Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

2017 BBQ Thread

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Kicking off the season with the undemanding classic of offset smoked wings & directly grilled burgers. Delighted to see that the hefty clean I gave the kettle before parking it for the winter paid dividends, with none of the nasty fur build up you get when you're less than judicious in your pre-hibernation prep. New cover probably didn't hurt.

Am intending to get better at brisket this year, something I rarely bother with outside of competition. Planning on dispelling a few of the myths around smoking it that tend to put people off.
DasNutNock

Re: 2017 BBQ Thread

Postby nickkarkie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:58 pm

I bought a commercial smoker, I installed it yesterday and I've had beef forequarter flank and point end brisket soaking in brine (pickling spices etc) for a week, I will be leaving one of those in the brine for 2 more weeks but tonight overnight I will cook some usda briskets, pastrami, Beef short Ribs etc.

I will be launching the new menu at the takeaway in July/August and I won't stop cooking until I can get brisket as good as Aaron Franklin from Franklin BBQ in Austin.
nickkarkie

Postby White Goodman on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:03 pm

had brisket for the first time from some barbecue joint called Porky's in Memphis in February.

Was expecting massive things but was a bit of disappointment. I just don't think that it was done very well, as it always looks amazing on Man vs Fodd.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby White Goodman on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:05 pm

nickkarkie wrote:
I will be launching the new menu at the takeaway in July/August and I won't stop cooking until I can get brisket as good as Aaron Franklin from Franklin BBQ in Austin.

This is from Barringtons??
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Postby nickkarkie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:09 pm

DasNutNock wrote:
Am intending to get better at brisket this year, something I rarely bother with outside of competition. Planning on dispelling a few of the myths around smoking it that tend to put people off.

From what I can gather from my short time learning bbq, the following are necessary for amazing brisket:

- you can not use English grass fed beef, it has that more gamey flavour that gives a brisket bitterness, it needs the grain fed fat that US and Australian beef have.

- beef must be at least Choice quality and preferably Prime for its marbling or brisket will be dry in the flat.

- rub is not important, simple rub like salt and pepper is fine

- Temps between 225f and 275f, the higher temperature seems to be producing better results as the "Hot and fast" method.

- Smoke until it hits the stall around 165f and then wrap in butcher's paper or foil and return to smoker until the brisket reaches tenderness which is anywhere between 195f and 205f

- pull the brisket when it is pliable to touch and probe enters with ease

- rest it still covered in butcher's paper for 2-4 hours until it drops to 145f and then keep it in a moist environment (we have professional holding cabinets) at 145f-165f for another 5-6 hour
nickkarkie

Postby nickkarkie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:10 pm

White Goodman wrote:had brisket for the first time from some barbecue joint called Porky's in Memphis in February.

Was expecting massive things but was a bit of disappointment. I just don't think that it was done very well, as it always looks amazing on Man vs Fodd.

Check out YouTube and search for "24 hours at franklin bbq" and watch that video.
nickkarkie

Postby nickkarkie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:13 pm

White Goodman wrote:

No, I sold the restaurant, it's technically still mine until contracts are signed but I haven't worked there for 2 weeks. I'm really enjoying my time off and learning bbq. I will be launching it in Brentwood in August, I want to do Brisket like they do in Texas, Pastrami like they do at Katz's or Harry & Ida's in New York, Salt Beef like Brick Lane and Beef Short Ribs and Pulled Pork.
nickkarkie

Postby somerset-hammer on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Bad thread to look in on, when you are hungry!!

:oops:
somerset-hammer

Postby White Goodman on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:36 pm

nickkarkie wrote:No, I sold the restaurant, it's technically still mine until contracts are signed but I haven't worked there for 2 weeks. I'm really enjoying my time off and learning bbq. I will be launching it in Brentwood in August, I want to do Brisket like they do in Texas, Pastrami like they do at Katz's or Harry & Ida's in New York, Salt Beef like Brick Lane and Beef Short Ribs and Pulled Pork.

Sounds like it will be worth the trip :thup:
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Postby Francoisvander or else on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:10 pm

nickkarkie wrote:

No, I sold the restaurant, it's technically still mine until contracts are signed but I haven't worked there for 2 weeks. I'm really enjoying my time off and learning bbq. I will be launching it in Brentwood in August, I want to do Brisket like they do in Texas, Pastrami like they do at Katz's or Harry & Ida's in New York, Salt Beef like Brick Lane and Beef Short Ribs and Pulled Pork.[/quote]

I love Katz's pastrami, good luck Nick, keep us updated and let us know when your happy with it
Francoisvander or else

Postby whuben on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:51 pm

Treated my mum and family to a Mother's Day BBQ on Sunday. 1st one of the year so kept is simple, 4 hour smoked ribs with ribman rub, chicken drumsticks, sausages and lamb steaks.

Went down very well
whuben

Postby nickkarkie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:58 pm

Francoisvander or else wrote:I love Katz's pastrami, good luck Nick, keep us updated and let us know when your happy with it

Yep, pastrami is my favourite, I can't wait to try the food tomorrow. I've just seasoned the 12 beef ribs, point, 2 flat briskets and I have the pastrami soaking in water to remove excess salt awaiting its coriander seed and black pepper rub. That's a lot of meat to waste if I screw up the first cook :)
nickkarkie

Postby nickkarkie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:16 pm

Meat on overnight :)
nickkarkie

Postby Lee_WHU on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:02 am

Pucker Nick, please keep us updated.
Lee_WHU

Postby nickkarkie on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:25 am

Checked all the briskets/pastrami, 2 were done, I've pulled them off and wrapped them and put them to rest for 2 hours before then transferring to a holding cabinet, the others needed a couple more hours. The ones that are done are very tender when the probe enters.
nickkarkie

Postby Hummer_I_mean_Hammer on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:08 am

nickkarkie wrote: The ones that are done are very tender when the probe enters.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to travel down to Brentwood and grab me some of this!! Sounds bloody lovely.

Love salt beef, Pastrami and all that kind of stuff. What you going to serve it with? you now doing a sandwich shop or what?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

Postby nickkarkie on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:27 am

Will be part of my fish and chip shop menu, going to have a smoked foods and deli section on it. served in a roll (maybe a bagel or brioche) with pickles and mustard and possibly a reuben option with Swiss cheese, slaw and Russian dressing.
Last edited by nickkarkie on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickkarkie

Postby nickkarkie on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:47 am

The cook went really well, some great, some not so. The point brisket was amazing, so moist with plenty of fat. The flats were very tender but probably overcooked by an hour which makes them go chalky. The beef Ribs were very nice, tender and delicious. Pastrami is still cooking as it hasn't reached 93c yet. Next time I will try a higher temperature to render more of the fat.

Last edited by nickkarkie on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickkarkie

Postby twixy on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:48 am

nickkarkie wrote:Will be part of my fish and chip shop menu, going to have a smoed foods and deli section on it. served in a roll (maybe a bagel or brioche) with pickles and mustard and possibly a reuben option with Swiss cheese, slaw and Russian dressing.

This has made me happy. Good luck with it mate, looking forward to trying it when it's up and running!!!
twixy

Postby Mega Ron on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:48 am

nickkarkie wrote:Will be part of my fish and chip shop menu, going to have a smoed foods and deli section on it. served in a roll (maybe a bagel or brioche) with pickles and mustard and possibly a reuben option with Swiss cheese, slaw and Russian dressing.

:scarfer:
Mega Ron

Next

Return to The Snug