2017 BBQ Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: 2017 BBQ Thread

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Does no one have sausages or burgers anymore then?

Seems like BBQing has moved on somewhat.

I like both, mate. Home made burgers, 20% fat beef, direct over very hot coals. Sausages dusted with a few base spices, done offset with a chunk of wood to impart some flavour and maybe finished with some sticky BBQ sauce. Served in cheap brioche buns (quickly warmed through).

I like em with that Bick's sweetcorn relish and French's neon yellow mustard.
DasNutNock

Postby FreeWheeling on Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:49 pm

BromleyHammer wrote:Can somone offer me guidance on cooking rack of ribs on a 57cm Webber kettle. I can never get them right. I'm looking for ideal temp, time, type of cooking (offset etc)

Foe general guidance check out the bbq pit boys channel on youtube, If you can kill it , they have a video on how to stick it on a grill
FreeWheeling

Postby whuben on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:24 am

Ordered the Weber rotisserie attachment yesterday. Cannot wait to try it out Friday
whuben

Postby Nesticles on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 pm

whuben wrote:Ordered the Weber rotisserie attachment yesterday. Cannot wait to try it out Friday

I thought the pricing for the attachment was ridiculous, does look like the kind of unnecessary thing I would usually buy though.

I've made beer can chicken a few times on the bbq now, might give that a go this weekend at some point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A1I8sK0LkQ
Nesticles

Postby 1875Hammer on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Nesticles wrote:I've made beer can chicken a few times on the bbq now, might give that a go this weekend at some point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A1I8sK0LkQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Done this but with cider and a turkey. You do need a monster Barbie and some spikes to balance it but well worth it.
1875Hammer

Postby Nesticles on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:12 pm

1875Hammer wrote:Done this but with cider and a turkey. You do need a monster Barbie and some spikes to balance it but well worth it.

I never use an overly large chicken for this, so it's usually not a problem. Could imagine with a big chicken/turkey it would be a nightmare trying to balance it.
Nesticles

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:47 pm

1875Hammer wrote:
Done this but with cider and a turkey. You do need a monster Barbie and some spikes to balance it but well worth it.

Got to be better than the batshit crazy deep frying thing the septics do with a turkey
FreeWheeling

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Make no mistake, a properly deep-fried turkey, done in peanut oil, like the mentalist septics do for thanksgiving, is quite sensational. Not greasy or oily - tender, succulent and flavoursome, and fully cooked in about half an hour.
DasNutNock

Postby whuben on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Nesticles wrote:I thought the pricing for the attachment was ridiculous, does look like the kind of unnecessary thing I would usually buy though.

I've made beer can chicken a few times on the bbq now, might give that a go this weekend at some point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A1I8sK0LkQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I paid 160 for it. You can get them cheaper but I though for that price I may as well get a make that I know will last. im going to try it out tomorrow and Ive got a feeling I will never cook a chicken in the oven ever again.
whuben

Postby FreeWheeling on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Make no mistake, a properly deep-fried turkey, done in peanut oil, like the mentalist septics do for thanksgiving, is quite sensational. Not greasy or oily - tender, succulent and flavoursome, and fully cooked in about half an hour.

Still would not be sure its worth the chance of a napalm explosion, loss of eyebrows and other extremities
It takes a bloody skilled chap to pull it off :D
FreeWheeling

Postby Vince on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:25 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Make no mistake, a properly deep-fried turkey, done in peanut oil, like the mentalist septics do for thanksgiving, is quite sensational. Not greasy or oily - tender, succulent and flavoursome, and fully cooked in about half an hour.

You're spot on Dan. My brother in law has a turkey fryer, the most moist turkey your will ever eat.
Takes longer than 30 mins though, about an hour for a 20lb bird. Hour and a half for a 30lb beast.
Vince

Postby southbrishammer on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 am

Forgive the intrusion of a BBQ simpleton, but I bought a cheap and basic BBQ last summer and know nothing more than grilling simple cuts of meat over direct heat. I'm interested in the whole smoking/slow cooking scenario, but need it explained in words of 2 syllables, with an understanding of any equipment I need. Point me in the direction of a website or book that can help me out, please.
southbrishammer

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 am

FreeWheeling

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:54 pm

Tomorrow
Stripped a whole leg of lamb, now bagged with cumin, Paprika, onion and oil (lemon and salt to go in tomorrow) Kebabs on high
rib-eyes to be seared at heats of hell
ribs pre seasoned with pepper , Paprika and garlic (low n slow)
made my own chilli sauce, not sure of that though, Mrs likes it
veggie kebabs and Prawn kebabs too
will do a a rice of red pepper and peas too

This cooking malarkey gets addictive, last night done proper BIR chicken jalfrezi, pain in the arse doing the curry gravy but well worth it
FreeWheeling

Postby Morocco Mole on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:35 am

DasNutNock wrote:We also realised that we can't be doing with this pulled pork roll nonsense. Why fill up on bread when you've got pulled pork to eat? Our new serving is pulled pork, home made chips & home made coleslaw, with bbq sauce on the side.

Pulled pork is massively overrated. Just a load of mush. I dropped it out years ago. Slice it, chop it, or just big old chunks of meat, is the way to go.
Morocco Mole

Postby whuben on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:56 am

Morocco Mole wrote:
Pulled pork is massively overrated. Just a load of mush. I dropped it out years ago. Slice it, chop it, or just big old chunks of meat, is the way to go.

I sort of agree with you on this. I think half the fun and challenge of pulled pork is actualling doing it, and doing it properly. Once you've nailed it on the BBQ it's a great feeling but there are much better things to cook. Ive still got to try and do brisket on my weber but Ive got a feeling once Ive nailed it, it's mission completed.

I used my rotisserie yesterday for the first time yesterday. It was amazing, used a basic rub of paprika, garlic salt, pepper and some thyme. 1 hour and 20 mins and I had the most succulent chicken Ive ever eaten.
whuben

Postby Nesticles on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:50 am

FreeWheeling wrote:Tomorrow
Stripped a whole leg of lamb, now bagged with cumin, Paprika, onion and oil (lemon and salt to go in tomorrow) Kebabs on high
rib-eyes to be seared at heats of hell
ribs pre seasoned with pepper , Paprika and garlic (low n slow)
made my own chilli sauce, not sure of that though, Mrs likes it
veggie kebabs and Prawn kebabs too
will do a a rice of red pepper and peas too

That sounds decent :thup:

I'm going to be on the bbq tomorrow.

Got homemade lamb burgers ready (lamb mince from Costco, seasoned with chilli flakes, mint and chopped garlic)
Racks of ribs from Costco. Seasoned and will glaze on the bbq tomorrow with some bbq sauce.
Loads of Chicken Wings (from Tesco, really impressed with the size and amount of meat on them). Seasoned with jerk seasoning.
Nesticles

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:17 pm

All done
But to be honest I over stretched myself trying to do too much at different cooking times
Kebabs were tip top as we're the ribs
Steaks over cooked as like I say tried to do too much
New chilli sauce needed as that got only a 6 out of 10
All in all being hard on myself as critical a 7 out of 10
Must do better
FreeWheeling

Postby nickkarkie on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:01 am

I've just cooked a Snake River Farms USDA Wagyu brisket as it is amazing. The leaner flat part is even tastier than the point part and it's so moist, has juice oozing out everywhere.

nickkarkie

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:03 am

nickkarkie wrote:I've just cooked a Snake River Farms USDA Wagyu brisket as it is amazing. The leaner flat part is even tastier than the point part and it's so moist, has juice oozing out everywhere.

Chop it into lines, and I'd snort the entire thing.
DasNutNock

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug