The Training Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Training Thread

Postby BalaamBoy on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:12 am

Thanks Jeff, but it's not so much the way I look as the way I feel, which is just as well 'cos I'm starting to look like Roy Kinnear.

I still play squash competitively, and the extra weight slows me down, so I am fixating a little on that number, I know. BUT whilst it hasn't changed in the last few weeks, I have noticed that my resting pulse is going down, and I've had to tighten my belt by one extra notch, so maybe the hard work is beginning to show dividends. I will up my objectives when I am happy I can meet all of mine, all of the time.

When the new season starts in September we'll see ... .. . . finger's crossed!

I should add that I allow myself the 'weekends off' (a bit) so that I can make the most of the regional wines in the good weather.
BalaamBoy

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 am

White Goodman wrote:Has to be said, when you look at the multi medal winning Eastern European gymnasts of the 70s/80s , you don't get the feeling those girls were greeted each morning with a cup of tea and crumpet before enjoying a lie in until 11am.

Whether people find it uncomfortable or not, these methods are quite effective although the long term chance of psychological damage is probably quite high.

That's not an issue though as you'll get yourself on tv being interviewed by Clare Balding in 2032 as your daughter laps the entire field in the 10000m .

Aye, it's a tricky balance between propping her up and breaking her down. One I suspect I'm not getting quite right, but I haven't put her completely off yet.
DasNutNock

Postby Score22 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 pm

Didn't know if anyone could advise me.

I suffer from depression and spend a lot of days feeling extremely lethargic. When I'm in the gym it leads me to feeling exhausted really early on into my sesssion. I've tried upping my carb intake beforehand and it's not seemed to have much of an effect. I've taken a preworkout before and I was wondering if this could perhaps give me the boost that I require at the moment? I've always been sceptical of taking them for no real reason.
Score22

Postby Marky on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Score22 wrote:Didn't know if anyone could advise me.

I suffer from depression and spend a lot of days feeling extremely lethargic. When I'm in the gym it leads me to feeling exhausted really early on into my sesssion. I've tried upping my carb intake beforehand and it's not seemed to have much of an effect. I've taken a preworkout before and I was wondering if this could perhaps give me the boost that I require at the moment? I've always been sceptical of taking them for no real reason.

Sorry to hear that Score. Do you have a structure for your sessions i.e. cardio first then weights or vice versa.

I start with heavy weights going lighter but always focus on area. When I am lethargic I start with a Monster Energy zero calorie drink and BCAAs. Works for me.
Marky

Postby WHU Independent on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:46 pm

I've changed my routine and added this to my exercises:

10 reps x 3 sets Standard dead lift
10 reps x 3 sets Romanian dead lift - straight legs.
30 reps x 3 sets good mornings with kettlebell behind my neck
30 rep x 3 sets Kettlebell swings
20 reps x 3 sets bent over inclined dumbbell rows at 45 degree angle

I feel fine in the morning except I have tight and sore hamstrings. Is this normal or is this because of poor form? I try to do the best form I can and I am not lifting mega weights.
WHU Independent

Postby richard99cook on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 am

WHU Independent wrote:I've changed my routine and added this to my exercises:

10 reps x 3 sets Standard dead lift
10 reps x 3 sets Romanian dead lift - straight legs.
30 reps x 3 sets good mornings with kettlebell behind my neck
30 rep x 3 sets Kettlebell swings
20 reps x 3 sets bent over inclined dumbbell rows at 45 degree angle

I feel fine in the morning except I have tight and sore hamstrings. Is this normal or is this because of poor form? I try to do the best form I can and I am not lifting mega weights.

Standard, those deadlifts and good mornings are going to hit your hamstrings.
richard99cook

Postby Patito on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:25 am

Score22 - a few things that I've found work for me personally if I'm feeling lethargic:

Pre workout:
Either 1/2 bananas + a double espresso + tbsp of peanut butter
or "Moose Juice" energy drink + tbsp of peanut butter

Intra-workout
BCAA's (can recommend some if you need)

With regard to carbs: they're important, try and stick to these carb sources; rice(all types), potatoes(all types), beans(all types), oats, buckwheat, fruit and veggies. (Pasta is ok pre-workout)

Eat some high GI carbs between 1-2 hours before a workout.
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby richard99cook on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:53 pm

First went to the gym last winter and when I first did squats, I did 4 sets of 6 at 40kg, then 2 sets of 50kg and on my second set failed my fourth rep nearly smashing the bar into the mirror.

Just did my first squats since then (leg day since has just been hamstring stuff and leg press) and comfortably managed 2 sets of 10 reps at 60kg, along with sets of lower weight before then.

Nice to see all the trap bar deadlifts I'm doing on back day and the other stuff since has strengthened me up! Happy to put squats back onto my agenda now, confidence back :scarfer:
richard99cook

Postby Patito on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:49 pm

Nice one richard99cook

I hadn't squatted in 2017 until last week, I'd done purely front squats all year. Saw plenty of quad development and my front squat numbers shot up but back squats are so difficult now.
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby Centre Half on Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Sub 42 10k last night

Getting closer and closer to the 40min mark :scarfer:
Centre Half

Postby Centre Half on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:05 am

First 5k in little while last night, nice to get it done in sub 20 mins.

All this running though means I'm really neglecting weight training and the gym. Don't get anywhere near the endorphin boost post gym though as I do after a run
Centre Half

Postby NottingHammer6 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Having trouble with Bulking up, I have noticed slow progress and I'm definitely bigger than when I started. However it is giving me a bit of a pot belly, any suggestions for this, obviously I still want to get bigger but preferably without the belly.
NottingHammer6

Postby Score22 on Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:35 am

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to try them out :thup:

Need to get back to my routine sharpish, it's been far too sporadic lately!
Score22

Postby Patito on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:42 am

NottingHammer6 wrote:Having trouble with Bulking up, I have noticed slow progress and I'm definitely bigger than when I started. However it is giving me a bit of a pot belly, any suggestions for this, obviously I still want to get bigger but preferably without the belly.

It's near impossible to lose fat whilst simultaneously building muscle without a bit of "help".

My advice would be to tighten up diet us much as possible and perhaps try German Volume Training for a month or two.

Building muscle is an extremely slow process anyway don't let that dishearten you at all.
Patito

Postby fmgod on Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:59 am

Patito wrote:It's near impossible to lose fat whilst simultaneously building muscle without a bit of "help".

Yep, something a lot of top sportsmen seem to be able to do.....
fmgod

Postby Patito on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:07 am

fmgod wrote:
Yep, something a lot of top sportsmen seem to be able to do.....

Yeah it's hard to tell who is using and who is just working hard/genetically gifted etc.
Patito

Postby Yea Why Not on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:50 am

Tore my meniscus in my left knee a few months back playing football. It hasn't heeled well and I'm now awaiting surgery. Recently I've returned to leg training but have been using the smith machine to squat and deadlift as it's easier on the knee. Funny thing is though, even post surgery I can see myself continuing to use the smith machine on occasions to squat and deadlift. It feels great. I have looked online though and it seems almost everyone is massively against it. Anyone else use the smith machine or know of why so many people seem to be against it? I'm fully aware that it's an assisted movement but I've always preferred the overhead press machine over an overhead barbell/dumbbell press and have always got good results with it
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Previous

Return to The Snug