The Training Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Training Thread

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:37 pm

PF. wrote:Mate, download the app freeletics - all you need.

Will take a look. Cheers :thup:
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby ironstu on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 am

Pre-Season well and truly underway. A couple of good sessions and a few good conditioning examples taken from them that I can share that may be good ideas for some of you doing HIIT workouts or looking for an alternative to slow cardio.

1) Run 70m in 12 seconds. Rest for 24 seconds. Repeat x 6. 2 minute rest, then repeat x 6 again.

2) The dreaded "up-downs"! Set out cones 40m apart. Put cones on the 5m, 10m, 15m, 25m, 30m, 35m marks in between. Start on the first cone laying on your stomach, explode up and sprint to the next cone, down on your stomach for 2 seconds and then again to the next cone. All the way through to 40m stopping on each cone to go down to stomach including the 40m cone. Once you reach the end, rest 30 seconds and go back the other way. There and back is 1 set. Do 3 sets, rest 1 minute between each set.

Would be good to know if any of you try them out. Simple conditioning exercises to do, barely any equipment, use a few shoes or something if you don't have cones. Add 2 of these a week to your programmes and you will see fat loss accelerate.
ironstu

Postby Marky on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 pm

ironstu wrote:Pre-Season well and truly underway. A couple of good sessions and a few good conditioning examples taken from them that I can share that may be good ideas for some of you doing HIIT workouts or looking for an alternative to slow cardio.

1) Run 70m in 12 seconds. Rest for 24 seconds. Repeat x 6. 2 minute rest, then repeat x 6 again.

2) The dreaded "up-downs"! Set out cones 40m apart. Put cones on the 5m, 10m, 15m, 25m, 30m, 35m marks in between. Start on the first cone laying on your stomach, explode up and sprint to the next cone, down on your stomach for 2 seconds and then again to the next cone. All the way through to 40m stopping on each cone to go down to stomach including the 40m cone. Once you reach the end, rest 30 seconds and go back the other way. There and back is 1 set. Do 3 sets, rest 1 minute between each set.

Would be good to know if any of you try them out. Simple conditioning exercises to do, barely any equipment, use a few shoes or something if you don't have cones. Add 2 of these a week to your programmes and you will see fat loss accelerate.

That's amazing.

12 seconds :o
Marky

Postby ironstu on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:39 am

The first few are pretty comfortable, the second set of 6 is disgusting.

The "up-downs" are much worse though.
ironstu

Postby Patito on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 am

Leg DOMS really kicking in after squatting on Tuesday. I'm going to give your up-downs a go tonight ironstu. Pain is pleasure.
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby PF. on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 am

Patito wrote:Shoulders fatigue really easily. Depending on what your goal is, often you'll get better results dropping the weights and going to volume.

Work on the stabilising muscles, focusing deeply into each muscle as you run through the form.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby Patito on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:30 am

Up and downs were horrific and did the the job cheers ironstu.

Upper body session tonight consisting mainly of chest/back GVT :oops:

Can anyone recommend any decent bicep/tricep supersets or exercises to finish off a session with that really works for them? (Outside of the usual 21's / curls to skullcrushers)
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby Jeffcoate321 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:04 pm

Patito wrote:Can anyone recommend any decent bicep/tricep supersets or exercises to finish off a session with that really works for them? (Outside of the usual 21's / curls to skullcrushers)

Got this from Arnold's The Encyclopedia to Modern Bodybuilding - must have for anyone that is interested in lifting.

I quite often do this as a finisher.

1-10 method.
Basically, you pick an exercise and do 1 rep of the heaviest you can do. Then take some off and do two and repeat down to 10 reps. No rest.
Works best if you are using a cable machine, that way you can quickly remove weight in equal increments. That's a cool 55 reps. You can basically do this with any exercise. Perfect finisher.
Not sure what your particular goal is, but that's a method I love.
Jeffcoate321

Postby kenthammer1984 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:13 pm

i have used something similar in the past with cable machines - i set one side up for bicep curls and the other side is set up for tricep pushdowns.

you want to start one of the sides (doesn't matter which) with a really light weight, and the other side at a heavy weight.

the idea is you start with 18-20 reps on the light side (say bicep curls) and then move straight over to the tricep pushdown and aim for 6-10 reps
you then increase the weight of the light side by a few notches and decrease the weight of the heavy side, and go again. maybe 16-18 reps of the light side and 8-12 reps of the heavy side.

and you keep adding weight to one and reducing the other until your original light side becomes the heavy side and vice versa and decreasing the rep range on the side thats becoming heavier and increase for the side thats becoming lighter.

do this with no rest (just going from one side to the other, adjusting weight and then more reps, adjusting weight etc) - certainly burns at the end.
kenthammer1984

Postby Patito on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:26 pm

Nice one J & K

Will try one of those out tonight, can't try both as my arms won't be able to take it :D
Patito

Postby bunk on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:05 pm

How difficult is it to go from being able to do 13 miles without too much difficulty to doing a whole marathon? At the moment I'm doing 11 - 13 mile runs every few days after work but I know that a marathon is an entirely different beast. I imagine every few miles extra would open yourself to more potential injuries that might derail the entire process, which would be rather annoying.
bunk

Postby Clucking Bell on Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:57 pm

It depends on the length of your long run at the moment. If you're currently doing 16+ mile long runs to race half marathons, stepping up to a full marathon is no biggie. If your longest run is 13 miles, you could probably step up to a marathon with 16-20 weeks of focused training.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby view from the shires on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:41 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Waste of money. Learn how to do squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, chin ups & pull ups first. Then some of the olympic lifts once you've added some meat to your frame.

Re personal trainers I tend to agree. My niece is one and she went to agricultural college. If you do go for one check out their qualifications first.

VFTS. BSc Physical Education & Sports Science :D
view from the shires

Postby Briggsy on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Quick question to those on here who are experienced weight lifters. I usually do 4 days, in this order.

1) Back & Bis

2) Legs

3) Chest & Tris

4) Shoulders & abs.

I've been thinking of mixing it up a little, can anyone recommend any orders I should, and shouldn't do? for example I've heard people say never do bis before tris.

Does it really matter what order I do, as long as I give each muscle group 48 hours rest?
Briggsy

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:35 pm

My 7 year old daughter did 23 miles on her bike today. I'm aiming to get her past 40 by the end of the summer holidays.
DasNutNock

Postby White Goodman on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:44 am

That's immense and really funny at the same time.

23 miles!!!
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby PF. on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 am

Briggsy wrote:Does it really matter what order I do, as long as I give each muscle group 48 hours rest?

Are you plateauing? If so, try to overload core muscle groups and rest the others for a week, then flip.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 am

White Goodman wrote:That's immense and really funny at the same time.

23 miles!!!

I don't want her growing up with any paradigms where physicality is concerned. Gonna get a sub-30 5k out of her before term starts, too.
DasNutNock

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 am

DasNutNock wrote:My 7 year old daughter did 23 miles on her bike today. I'm aiming to get her past 40 by the end of the summer holidays.

Where do you take her?

I don't trust the roads anywhere I've ever been in the UK to have my children on them
Mega Ron

Postby ironstu on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 am

Patito, glad you enjoyed the up-downs.

We did a slight variation on them yesterday:

Start on your stomach. Sprint 30m, as you get to the 30m mark, go down on your stomach facing where you started, get up immediately (ensuring that your chest touches the floor), sprint back to the start. 30 second rest, repeat ten times.
ironstu

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug