The Training Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Training Thread

Postby claretandblue82 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:48 pm

DasNutNock wrote:My 7 year old daughter did 23 miles on her bike today. I'm aiming to get her past 40 by the end of the summer holidays.

Are you Chinese? You'll be tying weights to her legs and sticking a 15kg bag on her back next!
claretandblue82

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Mega Ron wrote:Where do you take her?

I don't trust the roads anywhere I've ever been in the UK to have my children on them

Lots of segregated off-road paths round our way, a lot of them are alongside the river and canals. Yesterday was Weybridge to Kingston along the Thames, then back through Surbiton, past Sandown Park, Esher and Hersham.

I rarely cycle on the road either and am lucky to be able to commute along the Thames if I want to.
DasNutNock

Postby Patito on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 am

Briggsy wrote:Quick question to those on here who are experienced weight lifters. I usually do 4 days, in this order.

1) Back & Bis

2) Legs

3) Chest & Tris

4) Shoulders & abs.

I've been thinking of mixing it up a little, can anyone recommend any orders I should, and shouldn't do? for example I've heard people say never do bis before tris.

Does it really matter what order I do, as long as I give each muscle group 48 hours rest?

Personally I think pull/push is the best way to go. Frequency over volume per session for me.

Never heard that bis before tris rule before but ignore that. :D
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby Patito on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 am

ironstu wrote:Patito, glad you enjoyed the up-downs.

We did a slight variation on them yesterday:

Start on your stomach. Sprint 30m, as you get to the 30m mark, go down on your stomach facing where you started, get up immediately (ensuring that your chest touches the floor), sprint back to the start. 30 second rest, repeat ten times.

I have training tonight and will make sure I suggest this, cheers.
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby richard99cook on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:28 pm

The bis/tris thing is the other way around imo, triceps tend to fail quicker in my experience
richard99cook

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:42 pm

claretandblue82 wrote:Are you Chinese? You'll be tying weights to her legs and sticking a 15kg bag on her back next!

We're not Chinese, but there's a good chance she'll end up working for them, hence what I'm pushing her to achieve big when she's still young.

She posted a disappointing 5k time today, so we agreed she wouldn't be getting any ice cream, sweets, chocolate or cakes and will be restricting calories at mealtimes until her times improve significantly.
DasNutNock

Postby PF. on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Managed decent form with single-arm row TRX / single-leg (which was standing on a Bosu) this morning - it's been my nemesis for donkeys that one, so over-chuffed that I've finally managed to crack it.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby Patito on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Tonight
Bench
Push press
Pull-ups
T Bar row
Dips + hammer curls
Front raises + lat raises

Tomorrow
Power clean
Squat
RDL
Back extensions
Patito

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:21 pm

My daughter posted a 34 minute 5k today. I told her how disappointed I was.
DasNutNock

Postby Patito on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:36 pm

DasNutNock wrote:My daughter posted a 34 minute 5k today. I told her how disappointed I was.

Patito

Postby Marky on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Any ideas on how to increase biceps ?

I probably work them 3 times a week doing 5 exercises. Obvious stuff like barbell curls, pull ups, rope hammer curl.

Mine are alright but should be better for time I put in.
Marky

Postby WHU Independent on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:43 pm

I gave training a miss for a week or two as I was falling out of love with it. Now I have been back for a month training Mon to Friday each week with weekends off and I am liking it all over again. I'm still doing high volume low/med weight and it's paying off. I can see the change in my body but that is also because I am eating well again and not drinking that much.

I also started stomach exercises again and am really enjoying them. With the diet, low drinking and exercise, I am beginning too see less belly and more potential 6 pack ! :)

One thing that has made a difference. A friend has an allotment and she keeps me stocked up with a shed load of organic veg. I'm eating stuff I would never buy - cauliflower/cabbage/kale/Broccoli - plus lots staples such as toms, asparagus, potatoes, carrots etc. You can really taste the difference when you cook with them. I'm making lots of soups - the latest one, Courgette, my Dad described as one of my best ever! - and roasting Cauliflower in chille and garlic, as well as roasting Broccoli in garam masala and curry!

Decent diet: check. Training hard: check. Alcohol consumption: reduced by at least 50%.
WHU Independent

Postby westhamgardner on Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:25 am

Marky wrote:Any ideas on how to increase biceps ?

I probably work them 3 times a week doing 5 exercises. Obvious stuff like barbell curls, pull ups, rope hammer curl.

I had massive problems increasing size in my biceps for a couple of years. After about four months with a proper trainer I saw success due to two main changes to my training:

1) Full reps. Sounds simple but about 80% of the people that work out in the gym don't go through the full motion. For example basic bicep curls; its very common to see people use 70% of the range of movement in their arms especially towards the bottom half of the rep. Making sure you hit the full movement is key.

2) Tempo training. Manipulating the tempo of a rep to maximise the time under tension is great way to get the most out of an exercise.

Hope this helps
westhamgardner

Postby Patito on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 am

Marky wrote:Any ideas on how to increase biceps ?

Back exercises normally trigger the most bicep growth - Heavy rows and pull-ups/chins.

Hammer curls and BB curls with an overhand grip (it feels strange but try it) will recruit your brachialis (elbow flexor) and help make your biceps appear bigger too.

You probably already knew the above so sorry if repeating knowledge again!

I'd say try this at the end of a workout 3 times a week; Narrow grip barbell curl (heavy) - 5 sets of 5 reps with 120 seconds rest between sets. Then DB hammer curls 3 sets of 12 reps - 30 seconds rest between sets, light dumbbells focussing on a slow tempo.
Patito

Postby White Goodman on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:32 am

DasNutNock wrote:
She posted a disappointing 5k time today, so we agreed she wouldn't be getting any ice cream, sweets, chocolate or cakes and will be restricting calories at mealtimes until her times improve significantly.

Very wise Dan. Sounds like she is carrying too much weight.

I would advise a 6 month period of alternate day fasting until she improves her power to weight ratio.

Use advanced motivational techniques as well, such as riding alongside on a bike as she runs with a megaphone shouting "faster fatso, faster"
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:36 am

I find bellowing at her as tears roll down her cheeks to be a constructive technique.
DasNutNock

Postby White Goodman on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:37 am

PF. wrote:Managed decent form with single-arm row TRX / single-leg (which was standing on a Bosu) this morning - it's been my nemesis for donkeys that one, so over-chuffed that I've finally managed to crack it.

:thup:

Mine is the standing rollout with a weight vest on. Visually, I'm so nearly there but reckon possibly still months to go.

Doesn't help that I overcook it occasionally and mangle my lower back for a week at a time
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Postby White Goodman on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:42 am

DasNutNock wrote:I find bellowing at her as tears roll down her cheeks to be a constructive technique.

Has to be said, when you look at the multi medal winning Eastern European gymnasts of the 70s/80s , you don't get the feeling those girls were greeted each morning with a cup of tea and crumpet before enjoying a lie in until 11am.

Whether people find it uncomfortable or not, these methods are quite effective although the long term chance of psychological damage is probably quite high.

That's not an issue though as you'll get yourself on tv being interviewed by Clare Balding in 2032 as your daughter laps the entire field in the 10000m .
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Postby BalaamBoy on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Mrs BB bought me a FitBit for my birthday two weeks ago.

Every day since I have hit my objectives for

Steps > 10000/day
Active exercise > 60 minutes/day
Calorie Burn 500 greater than calorie intake
2 litres of water/day

AND . . . .

I've put on 1.5 kilos . . . !!
BalaamBoy

Postby Jeffcoate321 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:27 pm

BalaamBoy wrote:Mrs BB bought me a FitBit for my birthday two weeks ago.

Every day since I have hit my objectives for

Steps > 10000/day
Active exercise > 60 minutes/day
Calorie Burn 500 greater than calorie intake
2 litres of water/day

AND . . . .

I've put on 1.5 kilos . . . !!

Don't look at the scales, look in the mirror. Unless you train to meet a particular weight (boxing etc), its only a number.
Be happy in the way you look.

Also, if you are hitting your objectives every day, make them harder! Push yourself to be the best you can be!!!!
Jeffcoate321

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug