The Training Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Training Thread

Postby Marky on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Agreed, I think experience is a big factor.
Marky

Postby Gormalysis on Wed May 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Normally around an hour, split chest/back/arms/legs/shoulders traps abs (that's 5 not seven)

Found taking shorter rest periods to be more effective than lifting really heavy. Mix it up often, as long as deadlift, overhead press, bench and squat are always included
Gormalysis

Postby WHU Independent on Fri May 05, 2017 7:49 pm

Not been able to train for two weeks as I was being treated for a suspected stroke - luckily for me it was an inner ear problem and not a stroke. That said,I still couldn't look down or sideways or put my head back without it seeming like I was in a car with Lewis Hamilton lapping at 1000 laps a second!

The dizziness has mostly left so I started training on Tuesday. I have managed 3 days so far this week, doing Sholuders/ Arms/ Legs and Back.Might do chest tomorrow if I feel good.

Doing the same weights/reps and sets, but a lot slower and have to maybe do reps of 20 then 10 rather than 30 reps straight off. I can't believe two weeks off of exercise makes me so weak!

One question: when I bought some protien powder, I also bought some L'gutamine to make up the free postage. Any advice on how/when to take this and what it's good for please?
WHU Independent

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat May 06, 2017 12:16 am

Used to do
daily:
5 miles mon - friday
300 sits
300 press ups
300 squats
etc
5 km on the exercise bike including hill climb
sat 90 mins football
sun 90 mins football

Then a couple of ***** road racing ploughed into me , broke 2 vertebrae in my neck and displaced my hip

now the allotment is my only exercise, about 3 hrs is the max before I struggle
FreeWheeling

Postby Yea Why Not on Sat May 06, 2017 5:43 am

Tore a ligament in my knee playing football on Thursday :( MRI next Tuesday to see how bad it is

****ing fuming
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby White Goodman on Sat May 06, 2017 9:56 am

WHU Independent wrote:Not been able to train for two weeks as I was being treated for a suspected stroke - luckily for me it was an inner ear problem and not a stroke. That said,I still couldn't look down or sideways or put my head back without it seeming like I was in a car with Lewis Hamilton lapping at 1000 laps a second!

The dizziness has mostly left so I started training on Tuesday. I have managed 3 days so far this week, doing Sholuders/ Arms/ Legs and Back.Might do chest tomorrow if I feel good.

Doing the same weights/reps and sets, but a lot slower and have to maybe do reps of 20 then 10 rather than 30 reps straight off. I can't believe two weeks off of exercise makes me so weak!

One question: when I bought some protien powder, I also bought some L'gutamine to make up the free postage. Any advice on how/when to take this and what it's good for please?

Glad to hear you're on the mend WHU.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby WHU Independent on Sun May 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Cheers Whitey, much appreciated mate.

I have to take it day by day. The dizziness went away for a few days but returned a few days later. It's gone again but I have to take it day by day to see if I can train. I've decided to have the weekend off and have a few beers to see if that helps. So far no dizziness! :)
WHU Independent

Postby Patito on Mon May 08, 2017 12:23 pm

WHU Independent wrote:One question: when I bought some protien powder, I also bought some L'gutamine to make up the free postage. Any advice on how/when to take this and what it's good for please?

Put a scoop or two in your post workout shake, I don't know too much about it but it's an amino acid and people normally take it when they are looking to bulk up.
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby WHU Independent on Mon May 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Thanks Patito - appreciated.

Today was chest and it was tough as I hadn't done for two weeks.

30 X flat dumbbell flyes supersetted with 30 x Dumbbell bench press supersetted with 30 x lying dumbell pullovers - 2 sets.

30 x benchpress for 6 sets. Actually 5 sets and a few reps to failure as I was never gonna do another 30 reps for set 6, felt very weak at this point.
WHU Independent

Postby Patito on Tue May 09, 2017 9:17 am

Some serious volume in there I bet you're sore this morning!
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby Marky on Tue May 09, 2017 12:47 pm

WHU Independent wrote:Thanks Patito - appreciated.

Today was chest and it was tough as I hadn't done for two weeks.

30 X flat dumbbell flyes supersetted with 30 x Dumbbell bench press supersetted with 30 x lying dumbell pullovers - 2 sets.

30 x benchpress for 6 sets. Actually 5 sets and a few reps to failure as I was never gonna do another 30 reps for set 6, felt very weak at this point.

Thats massive volume what weights did you do?
Marky

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue May 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Back in the gym tonight after 4 weeks off due to injury and holiday. I am not looking forward to the morning pain.........but, looking forward to the endorphins that will hit my nut tonight :thup:

Amazing how quickly the body loses definition, but takes so feckin long to get back! longish road ahead starts tonight!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Patito on Tue May 09, 2017 1:30 pm

Muscle memory Clacton, you'll be fine :thup:
Patito

Postby WHU Independent on Tue May 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Pattio: You were spot on mate, my chest ached like a mofo this AM. I didn't think I could train today, but it loosened up during the day with some stretching.

I do what I consider to be "medium range" weights. I can't go heavy as a) I train at home and although I have the weights I don't have the proper equipment to do this safely and b) My old joints just won't take heavy weights any more. I get serious joint pain if I even try. Yesterday I even had a bit of a niggle in my shoulder after training yesterday but it went overnight.

I am definitely not a body builder and I am not and do not want to be a heavily muscled guy. If I could get there ( and I can't! - without resorting to "pharmaceutical means",) I'd like a sort of stripped down Frank Zane look - but even at his heyday he was too big IMHO - as opposed to Dorian Yates! Ryan Reynolds is an inspiration I suppose. I'd love to know how he gets in shape! May cardio is limited as I have a calf muscle (left) which is prone to tear if I run. I'd love to get a decent stationary bike but I don't have the room at home. This is why I do high volume weights.

Today was Shoulders :

3 sets x 20 rep front dumbbell raises supersetted with 20 rep x side dumbbell raises.

2 sets x 30 Front barbell shrugs suppersetted with 30 x rear barbell shrugs.

2 sets x 30 Dumbbell behind the neck press.

2 sets x 30 Dumbbell front pull ups to neck. (these guys kill me)
WHU Independent

Postby Clacton-ammer on Wed May 10, 2017 12:56 pm

Patito wrote:Muscle memory Clacton, you'll be fine :thup:

I wasn't and am not *as I type with my nose"
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby Ben on Wed May 10, 2017 2:30 pm

I've signed up to play an 11 a side game at the end of the month at the MK Dons stadium so trying to get fit for it.
I play 5 a side once a week currently and now and then cycle to work but have tried to up it so playing twice a week and cycling 3 times a week which is 30 mins each way with plenty of hills etc

yesterday my knee was really hurting at the front just under the knee cap whenever I put any weight on it,
had to stand in goal the whole game as don't want to risk injuring it before the game, cycled today and it was fine mostly but felt it on the tough hills - also when walking up the stairs when I got to work but has eased off through the day.

any ideas? what should I do to maximise my chances of being able to play the game?

sorry this doesn't really fit perfectly in here!
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby Patito on Wed May 10, 2017 2:36 pm

You probably won't want to hear this but sounds like it needs rest, Ben!
Patito

Postby Ben on Wed May 10, 2017 2:39 pm

I figured that and am playing no football for a couple of weeks, do you think cycling is okay if I keep it fairly casual? (which I do anyway to be fair)
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby Mega Ron on Wed May 10, 2017 2:42 pm

I miss playing football but I quit once I started picking up injuries every time I played. I was almost as injury prone as AC.

I went for a run on Monday and it was the first time I'd been in a while so I thought I'd take it easy. I ran 3 miles and today I can barley move.
Mega Ron

Postby Patito on Wed May 10, 2017 2:57 pm

I'm no expert but cycling would be a better option in my unqualified opinion. Perhaps swimming as well as you're not putting much pressure on the knee/leg.
Patito

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug