The Training Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Training Thread

Postby 3times on Wed May 10, 2017 3:00 pm

I want to get some weight off but hate cardio with a passion. May aim being to reduce the love handles!!

I run 5k 2 or 3 times a week but that about as far as I go before my boredom threshold has been reached. Because of dodgy knees I run mostly on a treadmill.

Play 'how ever many a side' once a week, we normally play between 60 & 90 mins and ache like crap the next day so would normally mix up bike. cross trainer and rowing the next day.

Would ideally like to do more weights but the weight loss is more important to be honest. I did do a few months on a 5x5 workout using a 3 day week which would be day 1 squats, bench, bent over row, dumbell curls - day 2 squats, standing shoulder press, dead lift (only 1 set of 5), tricep extensions then back to day 1.

Had a rotator cuff injury a few years ago that sometimes plays up so have to hold off for a while.

Any program ideas for no more than 3 sessions a week.

Thanks
3times

Postby DasNutNock on Wed May 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Everyone aches when they do some exercise, after an extended period out. Push through it, and you'll be back in the swing before you know it.

For the record, I'm up to around 430 miles for 2017. My consistency is mental - I do 11km in pretty much 55 minutes, give or take a minute or so. It's just that some days it feels much harder than others. Today was a stroll, yesterday was a slog.
DasNutNock

Postby Patito on Wed May 10, 2017 3:11 pm

3times wrote:
Any program ideas for no more than 3 sessions a week.

Thanks

Keep playing 5 a side and train twice a week in the gym. I'd advise doing a 'full body' split both sessions. Stick to your compound lifts, don't focus on curls etc if your main aim is to lose some fat. Make sure you squat (heavy) in one session and deadlift (heavy) in the other. That should be more than adequate to begin with!

Diet is probably the most important factor though when it comes to weight loss so I'd advise getting that sorted first (if you haven't already). :thup:
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby Centre Half on Wed May 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Really started to turn my attention to running since watching the mrs do the marathon the other week. Signed up to the southend half marathon in July! Still carrying on with my 5k post weights on the treadmill during the week and a longer run outside on weekends,

After never usually passing the 5 mile mark, on Saturday managed 7 miles in 53 mins. Thinking a good way of going about is probably adding a mile each week. Enjoying the long runs so far!
Centre Half

Postby 3times on Wed May 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Patito wrote:
Keep playing 5 a side and train twice a week in the gym. I'd advise doing a 'full body' split both sessions. Stick to your compound lifts, don't focus on curls etc if your main aim is to lose some fat. Make sure you squat (heavy) in one session and deadlift (heavy) in the other. That should be more than adequate to begin with!

Diet is probably the most important factor though when it comes to weight loss so I'd advise getting that sorted first (if you haven't already). :thup:

To be honest when I was into the 5x5 it did seem to be paying dividends so may go back to that without the isolation exercises.

Football is a tuesday which is a bit of a pain but I may go for weights monday morning, football tuesday night, cardio (bike, rowing etc) wed morning and weights friday morning.

I am quite poor diet wise even though the Mrs does her best for me - more self discipline needed!!
3times

Postby Patito on Wed May 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the cardio. :thup:
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby ironstu on Wed May 10, 2017 4:32 pm

3times, steady-state cardio is no longer the go to for losing fat. Not only does it take a huge volume of it to make any difference, it is probably the most boring way of doing it so I wouldn't recommend it at all. When I say steady-state, I mean running 5/10/15km etc.

I would really recommend HIIT training. Basically training at a high intensity for a short period, resting for a short period, then repeating. The best comparison to take is running: interval sprints at 90%-100% speed woulod be much more efficient at burning calories/fat than a slow 5km jog.

You can have great fun with HIIT training as well, no end to the variation of exercises that you can use. Battle ropes, prowler pushes, sled pulls or for ideas with less equipment - press-ups, burpees, squats etc.

The real key to losing fat is your diet though...
ironstu

Postby 3times on Wed May 10, 2017 5:44 pm

ironstu wrote:3times, steady-state cardio is no longer the go to for losing fat. Not only does it take a huge volume of it to make any difference, it is probably the most boring way of doing it so I wouldn't recommend it at all. When I say steady-state, I mean running 5/10/15km etc.

I would really recommend HIIT training. Basically training at a high intensity for a short period, resting for a short period, then repeating. The best comparison to take is running: interval sprints at 90%-100% speed woulod be much more efficient at burning calories/fat than a slow 5km jog.

You can have great fun with HIIT training as well, no end to the variation of exercises that you can use. Battle ropes, prowler pushes, sled pulls or for ideas with less equipment - press-ups, burpees, squats etc.

The real key to losing fat is your diet though...

I will quite often during a run or row put in some sprint and rests. maybe time to start doing more of it.
3times

Postby PC Hammer on Wed May 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Do any exercise at 65% of your max heart rate and you will burn the fat and so lose the weight.

The formula is 220 - your age x 0.65.

You can use the treadmill, static bike, rowing machine in the gym or set your heart rate monitor to your level for your run.

By working at this level you do not burn yourself out / build up huge levels of lactic acid and so recover very quickly so that you may repeat the activity later in the day if you worked out in the morning or easily the next day.

Try it - you will lose weight as long as you keep to 1,000 - 1,500 max calorie intake daily, drink at least 2 litres of water and support West Ham.
PC Hammer

Postby Marky on Wed May 10, 2017 8:07 pm

Agree, jogging doesnt work as well as sprinting. I have lost a stone and a half in a year and its been mainly through booze cut down and High intensity.
Marky

Postby WHU Independent on Thu May 11, 2017 1:33 am

Arms today -

2 x sets of 30 X Hammer Kettle bell curls super setted with 30 x triceps dips.

2 sets of 30 x concentration curls super setted with 30 x triceps kickbacks.

2 sets of 30 x standing dumbbell curls super setted with 30 x over head triceps dumbbell extensions.

Felt good although the last reps were a bit wobbly and not great form.
WHU Independent

Postby Marky on Thu May 11, 2017 10:57 am

WHU Independent wrote:Arms today -

2 x sets of 30 X Hammer Kettle bell curls super setted with 30 x triceps dips.

2 sets of 30 x concentration curls super setted with 30 x triceps kickbacks.

2 sets of 30 x standing dumbbell curls super setted with 30 x over head triceps dumbbell extensions.

Felt good although the last reps were a bit wobbly and not great form.

I always use the cable for tricep kickbacks for some reason makes me feel like its harder.

Did 2 hours of weights today.
3 sets of 15 on all muscle groups trying to do compound where possible.
Marky

Postby ironstu on Thu May 11, 2017 11:18 am

Upper Body session this morning:

Bench Press 4 x 10
Pull Ups 4 x 4-6
Butterfly Twists 4 x 30

Single Arm DB Press 4 x 8/arm
DB Bent Over Row 4 x 10/arm

Metabolic session tomorrow, 30 minutes of hell but I love it.
ironstu

Postby Yea Why Not on Thu May 11, 2017 11:45 am

I often hear people saying they weight train for 2 hours and can't get my head around it personally. If they're going hard then fair play to them, I guess they're lucky. I'm stuffed after an hour. 45 minutes if I've got an empty gym to work with
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby Marky on Thu May 11, 2017 1:39 pm

YWN, I hadnt been since Monday and cant go tomorrow so did 3x 15 on the muscle groups. That takes ages and doesnt hurt too much if you do 3 on biceps, 3 on shoulders etc.
Marky

Postby Patito on Thu May 11, 2017 3:26 pm

ironstu wrote:Butterfly Twists 4 x 30

What are those, ironstu?
Patito

Postby richard99cook on Thu May 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Patito wrote:What are those, ironstu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isabed1EmaM
richard99cook

Postby WHU Independent on Thu May 11, 2017 11:37 pm

Marky wrote: I always use the cable for triceps kickbacks for some reason makes me feel like its harder

I agree mate, but I train at home so don't have access to cables. :(

No training today as I had a bad nights sleep, got up late and then got a quick call from my local hospital to say they had a spare slot at 5:30 for my head and neck MRI, and I took the offer there and then. Factor in the scan, lunch, a trip to the barbers for a shave, meeting a mate for a chat I haven't seen for donkeys and late arrival home it went by the wayside.

That said I am determined to copy Whitey if I can't sleep tonight. i.e I'll be up at 3:45 am and getting ready for training!
WHU Independent

Postby White Goodman on Fri May 12, 2017 9:15 am

WHU Independent wrote:
That said I am determined to copy Whitey if I can't sleep tonight. i.e I'll be up at 3:45 am and getting ready for training!

Go for it mate but if you intend to keep it up, you need to be absolutely ruthless with your time turning in the night before. Don't try and stretch it out half an hour here or there.

I'm kind of adjusted to it now but if honest, I only do it because I have things I want to achieve and not enough time to do all of them, I'd prefer not to be up rowing in the dark :-)
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby ironstu on Fri May 12, 2017 10:14 am

Patito wrote:What are those, ironstu?

richard99cook wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isabed1EmaM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That must be a different "Butterfly Twist" Richard!

Patito...

Lay with your back on a flat bench as if you are going to bench press. Hold the part of the bench that is under your head with your hands. Lift your legs up as if you are doing a leg raise but in one motion lift your bum off of the bench so that you are pretty much on your shoulders with the rest of your body in the air. As you reach the vertical, twist your body from the core, you'll feel it immediately in your obliques. Return to laying on the bench and repeat but twist the other way, alternate for 30. It's a killer but very good for core stability.

Lose the twist and just do the raise for mid section.
ironstu

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug