The Training Thread

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Training Thread

Postby Gormalysis on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Percentages are more important than weight IMO, a 50kg bloke lifting 100kg is more impressive than 100kg bloke lifting 180kg
Gormalysis

Postby Marky on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Agreed, I tend to think you should be able to dead lift 125% of your body weight to be 'strong'
Marky

Postby kenthammer1984 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:00 pm

Marky wrote:Agreed, I tend to think you should be able to dead lift 125% of your body weight to be 'strong'

Having a blonde moment here, but do you mean if you weigh 100kg then you should be able to deadlift 125kg, or 100kg + 125%, so be able to deadlift 225kg?

I used to work towards double body weight for a deadlift target. Never quite got it though, with my PB being 190kg
kenthammer1984

Postby Marky on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 am

In my example 125kg. That is the 'Men's Health Definition'

190kg is brutal you must be stacked !
Marky

Postby Nesticles on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:02 am

Gormalysis wrote:Percentages are more important than weight IMO, a 50kg bloke lifting 100kg is more impressive than 100kg bloke lifting 180kg

Marky wrote:Agreed, I tend to think you should be able to dead lift 125% of your body weight to be 'strong'

Probably a bit of "bro-science", but I've always believed I should be able to deadlift, squat and bench my own body weight.
Nesticles

Postby shifty on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:47 am

shifty

Postby Jeffcoate321 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Nesticles wrote:Probably a bit of "bro-science", but I've always believed I should be able to deadlift, squat and bench my own body weight.

agree with this. if you take your training seriously, even if it isn't a strength-based program you follow, I feel like this should be the bench-mark for a one-rep max.

My session this morning consisted of a one rep-max on deadlift funnily enough. I am starting a new strength program next week, so I'm going to test squat and bench this weekend too, and build the program around those weights.

I weigh around 92kg, and hit 190kg on my final set today for one rep, with wraps mind. My hands were demolished from the prior sets. The form wasn't too sloppy, but it took more than 1 attempt, thus the wraps. You might see me plotted around the ground tomorrow before the game struggling to hold a pint :D

Finished with some leg work after that, doing my best to take the load off of my lower back.
Will post my program on here once finalised, will be the beginning of next week.
Jeffcoate321

Postby Jeffcoate321 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:25 pm

shifty wrote:http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/deadlift" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good link that, cheers.
Jeffcoate321

Postby fmgod on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Best dead lift was 160KG but no one near that now, don't weights but don't enjoy cardio unless it's a sport. also can't properly pronate my right wrist due to an injury so benching or trying to curl with a straight bar is neigh on impossible after a few reps.
fmgod

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Stopped weight training late 2015 after:

1) Shoulder stopped working. Not a labral tear, but physio did nothing and I didn't fancy a cortisone jab.
2) Calf detatched.
3) Tore ankle ligaments.

Had a few months off & switched to pure cardio. Doubt I could bench more than 90Kg now, having peaked around 110Kg in 2015, when I weighed more like 77.

For the first time since I took up running for weight loss/mgt in 2004 I decided to try to track every mile I ran in a calendar year. Hit 600Km for 2017 this morning, and am well on track to break 1600Km this year if I stay injury free. I suspect I've always been closer to 8-900 miles/year, but there's something in the "1000 miles in a year" thing I want to get to that's helping me stay on track.

Might go back to weight training next year - shoulder feels a lot better than it's done in a while, but I doubt I'll ever get close to my peak numbers again. Which I'm okay with because 12 years of weight training was a lot harder on my body than I thought it'd be. Switching to just running & bikes has ditched the worst of the training injuries.
DasNutNock

Postby kenthammer1984 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Lost so much strength over the past 6-12 months or so.

At my peak I could do 3 reps at 70kg standing strict overhead press, and I think I had a single at 75kg. Tonight I am struggling to do 5 reps at 50kg :(

Edit: gassed out at 160 on deadlifts tonight for a double. I need to get my arse back into gear!!
kenthammer1984

Postby Marky on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Benching your own weight is impressive
Marky

Postby Patito on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:28 am

Bench: 1.3 x body weight
Squat: 2.2 x body weight
Deadlift: 1.9 x body weight

My deadlift has always lagged way behind my squat, determined to change that over the next few months.

Anyone have any tips that have worked for them?
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby kenthammer1984 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am

Patito wrote:Bench: 1.3 x body weight
Squat: 2.2 x body weight
Deadlift: 1.9 x body weight

My deadlift has always lagged way behind my squat, determined to change that over the next few months.

Anyone have any tips that have worked for them?

that would give me the following lifts:

bench - 130kg (pb of 110kg)
squat - 220kg (pb of 140kg)
deadlift - 190kg (pb of 190kg)
:shock:

my squat is WAY off!
kenthammer1984

Postby Patito on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:51 pm

kenthammer1984 wrote:
that would give me the following lifts:

bench - 130kg (pb of 110kg)
squat - 220kg (pb of 140kg)
deadlift - 190kg (pb of 190kg)
:shock:

my squat is WAY off!

Don't worry my numbers are weird, my DL is very very low compared to my other lifts, but my squat is freakishly strong, always has been. First time I ever did squats I did over 100kg.
Patito

Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Postby WHU Independent on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 pm

I've had an accident which has stopped me training for week and a half - not training related btw. I first thought it was going to end my training for the rest of my life, as I had to go to hospital for a while, but apparently I've got to have a couple of weeks off before I can train again, and start light.

I really miss it and despite eating really healthy I feel really sluggish and chubby. I haven't had a drink of alcohol for week and a half either.
WHU Independent

Postby Monkeybubbles on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Question to all on this thread.....not having a pop at anyone. I daren't, tbh, given that you're all nails. Anyway, question is, what's the appeal?

I get that it's good to be fit, of course. But isn't the difference between fit, really fit, and really really really fit just kind of diminishing returns?

Interested, genuinely.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Patito on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:33 am

Everyone's reasons will be different. For myself;

First picked up weights as I played a lot of football and rugby and was fed up of getting bullied on the pitch. Always had a strong lower body but weak upper body. From there, I just really enjoyed gradually getting stronger and stronger, going from being one of the weakest lot out of my mates to the strongest, as well as from a bit of a vain point of view, looking a lot better too. I know that as a male, we're not supposed to be body conscious but I definitely used to dislike the way I looked.

I consider myself lucky because I get to do something I love doing (i.e. lifting weights) every single evening after work, pretty much every day of the year.
Patito

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:35 am

Monkeybubbles wrote:Question to all on this thread.....not having a pop at anyone. I daren't, tbh, given that you're all nails. Anyway, question is, what's the appeal?

I get that it's good to be fit, of course. But isn't the difference between fit, really fit, and really really really fit just kind of diminishing returns?

Interested, genuinely.

You'd be surprised by how addictive it can be. You get a good hit of brain chemicals off the back of a decent workout.
DasNutNock

Postby Patito on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:43 am

WHU Independent wrote:I've had an accident which has stopped me training for week and a half - not training related btw. I first thought it was going to end my training for the rest of my life, as I had to go to hospital for a while, but apparently I've got to have a couple of weeks off before I can train again, and start light.

I really miss it and despite eating really healthy I feel really sluggish and chubby. I haven't had a drink of alcohol for week and a half either.

Glad to hear that it perhaps isn't as serious as first thought, hope you make a full and swift recovery. :crest:
Patito

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug