Has anyone cut up corrugated iron sheeting ?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Has anyone cut up corrugated iron sheeting ?

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:42 pm

We had our old corrugated iron byre knocked down by a digger last week - part of the roof had come apart and it badly needed pulling down , but it was too big a job for me alone - luckily we had a digger man preparing an area for an extension onto our old house so Jen very cheekily asked him to knock our old byre down ' seeing as he's here ' .
I've removed around 20 sheets but a lot of the building came down in huge panels / frames and I'm finding it difficult prising the sheeting away [ I'm using various iron bars , saws and sledgehammers ] - some will need cutting away - I've found this tool and am also considering buying an angle grinder .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... bw_c_x_2_w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone done this type of work before , if so , what did you use ?

Cheers ,

Peter .
The Old Man of Storr

Re: Has anyone cut up corrugated iron sheeting ?

Postby Clucking Bell on Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:53 pm

We just use reciprocating saws and metal- cutting circular saws for thin stuff. If we've got to go through beams or anything more than half an inch thick, out comes the plasma cutter.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby somerset-hammer on Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:36 pm

A grinder with a thin cutting disc in will do the trick.

Look for Klingspor cutting discs.

^^ Reciprocating saw will work too, as CB says.
There won't be any sparks either.

:thup:
somerset-hammer

Postby Iron-worx on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Angle grinder with thin cutting disk will rip through it...

But wear goggles...

I put on a full face mask when cutting an old long radiator in half once and a shard went up under the mask, hit my cheek, bounced onto the inside of the mask, bounced off that and stuck in my eye. Down the hospital to have it pulled out...

Unbelievable stuff that cannot happen with goggles.
Iron-worx

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Thanks for responding everyone , much appreciated -

I'll have to look up ' reciprocating saw ' - also which size of angle grinder would I require , a 4" or 9" ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:51 pm

"There's no such thing as a tool that's too big*

*this is the snug.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Clucking Bell on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:00 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote: I'll have to look up ' reciprocating saw ' - also which size of angle grinder would I require , a 4" or 9" ?

This is our favourite reciprocating saw https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCS387B-20-volt-Compact-Reciprocating/dp/B00ODN0S70/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1492288731&sr=1-9&keywords=reciprocating+saw ...... mostly 'cos we get DeWalt stuff with a serious discount.

Angle grinders are fine but, they do throw sparks everywhere. I wear my welding mask if I ever have to use one and I tell the blokes that they need to wear the gloves and protective sleeves we provide (sometimes the ***** even listen) As to size, there's a few considerations. Obviously, the bigger the grinder, the thicker the material you can cut. Also bigger = heavier which isn't a lot of fun if you're not used to it. Another thing to be aware of is that cutting wheels can be a bit fragile and they have been known to shatter and throw shrapnel around. Personally, I think the clue's in the name: they're better for grinding than they are for cutting.

Most of my blokes like the lightest, cordless tool for any given job - generally 'cos they're up ladders or in confined spaces and they don't want to **** about with extension cords. That said, we've also usually got two or three chargers on the go, so they don't have to hang around waiting for batteries to charge.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks , Clucking , that's very helpful indeed - so for corrugated iron you would prefer to use a reciprocating saw rather than a grinder ?
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Clucking Bell on Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:55 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Thanks , Clucking , that's very helpful indeed - so for corrugated iron you would prefer to use a reciprocating saw rather than a grinder ?

I probably would, yes. The other thing to consider is that these saws are pretty useful for general DIY and you'll get your money's worth. The chances are you'd never use an angle grinder again - it's a bit 'single use'
Clucking Bell

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:33 am

Clucking Bell wrote:
I probably would, yes. The other thing to consider is that these saws are pretty useful for general DIY and you'll get your money's worth. The chances are you'd never use an angle grinder again - it's a bit 'single use'

Yes of course , good point .

We planted all sorts of shrubbery 15-20 years ago for hedges , griselinia , quickthorn , escalonia , oleria and now they're all the size of trees - I bought a chainsaw but couldn't afford the protective clothing at the time so it's lay in its box - One of those reciprocating saws would be most useful .

Thanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions . :thup:
The Old Man of Storr

Postby ageing hammer on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Could you hire the tool needed Peter it will save you having to buy it. :)
ageing hammer

Postby The Collector on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Ah, my dad was stopped by a policeman carrying a sheet of corrugated iron on his head which he 'found'. If only you had been around then!

But, this was 1939 in Port Glasgow and he was let off because he told the polis man that he needed the sheet to help build an Anderson shelter.

What you need, mate, is for Germany to invade Poland and you'll be quids in.
The Collector

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:29 pm

Don't bother with a reciprocating saw, get an angle grider. They're designed to cut through metal. Yep, there'll be sparks, but they're harmless as long as there's no inflammable liquids around. They'll also cut through stone (with the right discs) so versatile too.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Don't bother with a reciprocating saw, get an angle grider. They're designed to cut through metal. Yep, there'll be sparks, but they're harmless as long as there's no inflammable liquids around. They'll also cut through stone (with the right discs) so versatile too.

OK , Cheers - I probably will on second thoughts .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:14 pm

The Collector wrote:Ah, my dad was stopped by a policeman carrying a sheet of corrugated iron on his head which he 'found'. If only you had been around then!

But, this was 1939 in Port Glasgow and he was let off because he told the polis man that he needed the sheet to help build an Anderson shelter.

What you need, mate, is for Germany to invade Poland and you'll be quids in.

I built our pig-hut from fence stobs and corrugated iron , I know where I'm heading if things get serious between Trump and Kimmy Boy . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:00 pm

ageing hammer wrote:Could you hire the tool needed Peter it will save you having to buy it.

Yes , there's a couple of places on the island , Eamonn Jewson's have just opened one up 10 miles away but I'm going to buy rather than hire as I'll get quite a lot of use out of a reciprocating saw - I was in B&Q this morning having a look at both angle grinders and saws , I'm going to go for a recip - will come in very handy for other jobs , we've lots of trees and big shrubs in the garden - Bosch , Ryobi or DeWalt , probably the latter seeing as CB very kindly recommended one but the lovely Chinese girl at B&Q said she was also a Ryobi agent so who knows ? :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Iron-worx on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Cut up the dishwasher with my angle grinder today, the only way I could get it to the tip :thup:
Iron-worx

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:08 pm

Iron-worx wrote:Cut up the dishwasher with my angle grinder today, the only way I could get it to the tip :thup:

Funny you should say that , our dishwasher [ no not me ] broke last week [ we're expecting a new one this afternoon ] , it wouldn't drain - tried a couple of things , no luck . Haven't tried sticking it in the car as of yet but it should go hopefully . If not , I'll take the sledgehammer to it !!
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Iron-worx on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Blimey Skye, guess what, our new one came this afternoon too.

Must be great minds thinking alike :thup:
Iron-worx

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:20 am

Iron-worx wrote:Blimey Skye, guess what, our new one came this afternoon too.

Must be great minds thinking alike

It's as if we live in a parallel universe - :)

We went with another Bosch .
The Old Man of Storr

Next

Return to The Snug