How Many Hours' Sleep Do You Need ?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

How Many Hours' Sleep Do You Need ?

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue May 02, 2017 7:47 am

Now I've reached the grand old age of 61 I've started noticing that I no longer require the same amount of sleep as I used to - in the past I've known me sleep between 8 and 10 hours now it's down to 6 most days , one day last week I only slept for 4 hours .
I read somewhere that Margaret Thatcher only needed 4 hours' sleep each day , hopefully it won't come to that .

I go to bed most nights at around 11.30pm - 12 midnight , then I read for between 15 minutes to half an hour and I get up at around 6am .

How much sleep do you require ?

Apologies if we've already discussed this .
The Old Man of Storr

Re: How Many Hours' Sleep Do You Need ?

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue May 02, 2017 7:51 am

Struggle to function, on anything less than 5 hours.
somerset-hammer

Postby -DL- on Tue May 02, 2017 8:25 am

However many hours I need, I've no idea. But what im currently getting isn't enough. Shift changes, late nights and early mornings. It's killing me . Probably literally. Currently functioning today today on just under 4 hours kip. Still awake at 2345 last night after being up at 0600, and was up at 0230 this morning for a 0400"start at work. Feel like crap.

Actually went to bed just before 2100 last night, dozed off only fir the Mrs to drop a load of stuff in the kitchen waking me up. Game over once I've nodded off and been woken up again. Ended up getting the hump because I couldn't sleep which then kept me awake..
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby fjthegrey on Tue May 02, 2017 9:27 am

I need 8 hours sleep a day.

And 10 at night.
fjthegrey

Postby delbert on Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 am

I do like a power nap around lunch time, luckily my job allows for this little indulgance. I try to get 8 hours at night but inevitably I wake up for a slash or bunged up nose, my nose produces an unbelievably large amount of crustaceans.......
delbert

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Tue May 02, 2017 9:56 am

7 hours for me - sometimes 6
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Eggs'n'nuts on Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 am

Not sure if I "need" it or not, but if I don't have to set the alarm for anything, I usually have/get anything between 6 to 8 hours a night. Mind you, I do have my moments when I can lay-in for England!

Don't know if anybody else does this, but even if I have to get up for around 04:00, I can't go to bed at around 21:00 to compensate. It's still around 22:30-23:00.
Eggs'n'nuts

Postby DasNutNock on Tue May 02, 2017 10:23 am

Need 6
Prefer 7
Optimum is 8

Managed 12 hours unbroken on friday night. Felt absolutely sensational saturday morning. Like I'd been reborn.
DasNutNock

Postby fjthegrey on Tue May 02, 2017 10:31 am

It depends entirely on the level of output throughout the day.

Function fine on about 6 or 7 during a standard working week.

If it's a football playing day (90 mins+) or a night drinking, many more are required.
fjthegrey

Postby warp on Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 am

couple of hours a week (with your mum)
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Tue May 02, 2017 10:50 am

What I need and what I get are probably different. I work a 12 hour night shift 3 night's a week and don't get much more than 5 hours at the most between shifts. When I'm not on shift I get by on 7 hours at the most, always been a light sleeper tbf
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby mushy on Tue May 02, 2017 11:00 am

-DL- wrote:However many hours I need, I've no idea. But what im currently getting isn't enough. Shift changes, late nights and early mornings. It's killing me . Probably literally. Currently functioning today today on just under 4 hours kip. Still awake at 2345 last night after being up at 0600, and was up at 0230 this morning for a 0400"start at work. Feel like crap.

Actually went to bed just before 2100 last night, dozed off only fir the Mrs to drop a load of stuff in the kitchen waking me up. Game over once I've nodded off and been woken up again. Ended up getting the hump because I couldn't sleep which then kept me awake..

Shift work in a nutshell,late shifts followed by early shifts = hell.
You cant sleep properly because you havent properly switched off from your days work,also the fact you have to be up early plays on your mind, hence sleep quality is cr*p.
I did shift work for nearly 30 years, 12 hour night shifts followed by two day rest then onto 12 hour day shifts, no real time to adjust, its essentially jet leg, body clock is ****ed leading to moodiness and worse.
Healthwise both mentally and physically its a mare, we used to get 25% on top of our basic for doing shift work, some places gave 33%. This gradually eroded to virtually nothing.
The original EU social chapter stated that shift workers should be able to retire after 25 years work on a full pension, the UK opted out.
I havent done it for about 6 years now, the difference to my health cannot be underestimated, I reckon I was hell to live with back in the day at times. (EX wife would confirm).
I feel for you DL, NEVER underestimate the power of regular good nights sleep.
Good luck and all that but is there any chance you could ever become a day worker? Inspector or something similar? Might be a drop in wages but worth it in my opinion, thats if you can afford it.
I stiil even now get a pitted feeling in my stomach thinking about it all.
mushy

Postby mushy on Tue May 02, 2017 11:10 am

delbert wrote:I do like a power nap around lunch time, luckily my job allows for this little indulgance. I try to get 8 hours at night but inevitably I wake up for a slash or bunged up nose, my nose produces an unbelievably large amount of crustaceans.......

Tube driver?
mushy

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue May 02, 2017 11:40 am

Have always been a night owl. Never usually asleep before 12. Even if i am knackered about 9.30 i always seem to wake up the later the evening gets. Thankfully never had a job that requires very early starts as a matter of course so before having a kid would get about 7.5 hours in the week

Now i have a baby, i would say that is reduced by an hour due to the wake-ups in the night and earlier start, especially at weekends

i can function reasonably well on this amount of sleep but would love to have a couple of 8 or 9 hour spells
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Monkeybubbles on Tue May 02, 2017 12:58 pm

I am a total boss when it comes to sleeping. I need a good 8-9 hours or I'm rubbish, but I can drop off anytime, anywhere like that, and then I can stay asleep for most of the winter.

A decent coffee, followed by a gentle sherman, and a 90 minute pre-nap snooze on a sunny afternoon is my very favourite thing in the world.
Monkeybubbles

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 pm

I've always aimed for 8 hours a night. Generally go to bed at 10 or 11 depending if there is any football on. browse on my phone for half an hour to an hour then sleep right through to 7.

Then I browse on my phone again, maybe even a quick w**k. Up, showered and in to work by 8.15 ish.
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Tue May 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Anything less than 6 hours and I struggle a bit.
Cockneyboy311

Postby vietnammer on Tue May 02, 2017 1:54 pm

delbert wrote:I do like a power nap around lunch time

I've worked in countries where the "siesta' system operates and it should be ideal even here because I definitely run out of steam in the afternoons. Trouble is if I sleep for even 20 mins in the day I wake up in a really **** mood that takes hours to lift. Dunno where this comes from. :eh:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby delbert on Tue May 02, 2017 2:50 pm

delbert wrote:I do like a power nap around lunch time, luckily my job allows for this little indulgance. I try to get 8 hours at night but inevitably I wake up for a slash or bunged up nose, my nose produces an unbelievably large amount of crustaceans.......
[quote="mushy"

Tube driver?[/quote]

:lol:
delbert

Postby sendô on Tue May 02, 2017 4:18 pm

More.

I always need more.
sendô

Next

Return to The Snug