How Many Hours' Sleep Do You Need ?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: How Many Hours' Sleep Do You Need ?

Postby pablo jaye on Thu May 11, 2017 6:32 am

freelander wrote:I need about 6 hours but quite often I only get a fractured two!

Particularly when I get this lullaby in my head on a loop ! (including visuals)

Despite awakening somewhat fractious I am always UP and alert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsMiEvPZaLM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is just something about her mouth being so close to the microphone and the use of some very nimble fingers that has me 'tossing' and turning.

A lullaby ? Are you joking me!

.... wankle wankle little star???
pablo jaye

Postby freelander on Thu May 11, 2017 10:04 am

iz rite kidda la !

What time is it btw? :wink:
freelander

Postby WHU Independent on Thu May 11, 2017 11:48 pm

Anyone see the TV prog re this very subject tonight? Very eye opening. Lack of sleep can lead to weight gain, type 2 diabetes, bad guts, glucose level spikes and all kinds of stuff.

Apparently good things to do before bedtime are:

Eat two Kiwi fruits.

Have a hot bath and then open your bedroom window and get cold before you go to bed.

Do some kind of "mindful thinking."

Take a pre (not pro) biotic fibre sachet on a drink before you go to be - this was shown to be the most effective.
WHU Independent

Postby pablo jaye on Fri May 12, 2017 7:32 am

Yes - it was a good programme. Some good tips like turning off tablet and phone screens an hour
before bedtime.
pablo jaye

Postby PF. on Mon May 15, 2017 10:49 pm

After a ****ing horrendous journey across the world, I'm now on my 37th hour awake, lying in a hotel bed knowing that I've got another 4 hour flight in about 6 hours.

Living the dream.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby bunk on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 pm

Ben wrote:Anyone ever had sleep paralysis?

Have it every time I get back from Glastonbury, along with brain zaps and flashing blue lights. Last night I knew it was coming and in the back of my head knew it wasn't going to hurt me, but the quality of sleep was pretty horrendous.

Got to sleep around 2.30 am after the zaps and blue lights, then up at 3 with sleep paralysis, not being able to move when you think there's someone looking over you. Happened numerous times through the night, then off to work at 8! Suffice to say I'm a little tired.

In general I average probably 6 hours on weekdays, which is usually fine for me.
bunk

Postby Happyhammer52 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:43 pm

Past 9 months have had this really strange thing before nodding off, I really have no idea how to explain it.

I will try and go to sleep, and as I am about to fall asleep, in my head the words "Crossed in to the back post" are spoken. I don't see anything as such. Cannot explain it for the life of me. However when those words are said, I know I am about to drift off.
Happyhammer52

Postby Ben on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:59 pm

bunk wrote:Have it every time I get back from Glastonbury, along with brain zaps and flashing blue lights. Last night I knew it was coming and in the back of my head knew it wasn't going to hurt me, but the quality of sleep was pretty horrendous.

out of interest when you are at Glastonbury do you drink energy drinks?
I worked out that whenever I drank a can of relentless during the day I would get sleep paralysis that night.
obviously stopped drinking them and now it only happens very rarely.

when I was younger I used to have this weird dream that I could only explain that it felt like I was in a kind of maths puzzle or something I can't really describe it at all but it used to scare the hell out of me for some reason
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby warp on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:46 pm

i'd need about 10-12. could easily do 16.
but i have to make do with 6-7.

life sucks :fsake:
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby -DL- on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:51 pm

Here's an odd sleep thing - I'm back on nights this week, and I'm finding that I'm comfortably managing to sleep from 0900-1800 and later uninterrupted. yet, when I'm on days, I actually struggle to get that amount of sleep, even when the opportunity arises. My last night on lates, I went to bed at 0330 and woke up at 1000 and just couldn't get back to sleep.

Pretty much the same when I'm on early turn - I can go to bed at 2100 and get up at 0230 and I'm fine until 2100 next day.

I suppose my body must be getting used to it.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby WCpete on Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:17 pm

get by with 6, need 8.
WCpete

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:01 pm

mushy wrote:Shift work in a nutshell,late shifts followed by early shifts = hell.

Shift work. Did this for several years (many years ago now, mind) and have never really enjoyed a 'regular' night's sleep since.

Hence why I can sometimes be spotted posting on here at 4 in the am. :)
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Georgee Paris on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:15 pm

Ben wrote:when I was younger I used to have this weird dream that I could only explain that it felt like I was in a kind of maths puzzle or something I can't really describe it at all but it used to scare the hell out of me for some reason

You've literally just described what I had as a kid perfectly - sometimes like a kaleidoscope or ticking time bombs too... I kinda put it down to the monster munch or frazzles back in the day..
Georgee Paris

Postby -DL- on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:19 pm

Up the Junction wrote:
Hence why I can sometimes be spotted posting on here at 4 in the am. :)

That's half way through my next shift!
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Burnley Hammer on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:14 am

I used to get by fine with 6. I'm finding that more and more difficult these days. I really should be heading up to bed earlier, but those handful of hours at night after all the kids have gone to bed is the only free time I have, and I just can't bring myself to give up any of it.

It's been a bit worse recently but that's because I'm doing a few challenge walks whilst the daylight hours are there for it. I did a 40 mile walk in the Peak District last Tuesday, got home just before midnight, went to bed around 1, and got back up at 6 to go to work. I'd have managed this just fine in my younger years but I've really struggled this time and pretty much overslept every day since then.

My sympathy goes to those that genuinely can't sleep. I have no trouble in that department and my own tiredness is due to nothing more than stubbornness and a refusal to accept that I'm getting older and my sleep needs are changing.

Some people (not all) find melatonin supplements to be useful. You'll need to get them shipped over from the US though via EBay. There has also been quite a few studies about having electronic light in your room at night. I think the theory is that it disrupts melatonin production and therefore sleep quality reduces. My mum swears by Nytol. Getting away from blue light at night also helps I believe. There's a whole range of amber light bulbs, glasses, etc on the market for this reason but not sure what the evidence is like behind them. White noise works with babies and toddlers... Not to get them asleep but to keep them asleep. Don't see any reason why this wouldn't also work on adults. I put my own toddler to bed to the sounds of instrumental progressive rock (Goblin). Seems to work for him - keeps him quiet anyway.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby stu1 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:41 am

On a weekday I probably average about 5 hours as I just can't ever seem to get to bed at a reasonable time. I normally go to bed between about 01:00-1:30 and set my alarm for 6:45.

Every time I wake up I think I'll make sure I get an early night tonight, but it rarely happens. I often then compensate by laying in on the Saturday or Sunday, where I might have a 9-10 hour sleep.

On the rare occasion I manage an 8 hour sleep in the week, I feel like a new man.
stu1

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:53 am

Ben wrote:Anyone ever had sleep paralysis?

No, but I remember you mentioning this before.

I don't have paralysis, but I suffer from something called Hypnopompic Hallucinations in which I experience various forms of hallucinations, some visual, some to the touch but mostly are to do with my current environment and what I 'should' or 'should not' be doing at that time.

Last night I had an especially strong one. For around 15 minutes I was perched on the end of my bed around 3am because I needed to walk round the bedroom and ensure there was enough 'fuel' in the atmosphere at that side of the bed, I though the fuel was some form of powder or talc that I should have.
Basically I had neglected my duties and was sleeping and felt so much shame and dishonour by it, mainly because I was also naked.
I grabbed a pair of shorts from my drawer and stood up to walk round the bed, then I think as I started walking, my brain ****ed into gear and I was able to sit down, assess things and realise it's 'just another one of those' and then lay to get back to sleep.

I've moved shoes on to window cills after seeing lights in my room, looked under pillows for a length of string I was supposed to ensure was kept tight at all times, felt a pile of washing on a chair next to my bed and it was freezing cold because it was a defrosting turkey etc etc

I'm fully conscious, fully aware of exactly what I am doing and everything seems legit, but the part of my brain which says 'this isn't real', 'why' am I doing it, hasn't quite ****ed on.

In regards to hours of sleep, I don't think there's a correct amount of sleep.
The focus should be on the amount of quality sleep you actually have. This is why it's more important that you're mentally ready for a good sleep, rather than just going to bed at 9pm and thinking '8hrs sleep, that'll do me'.
It's pointless if you're going to sleep right on the back of something which is going to ultimately prevent you from entering the correct levels of REM - it won't matter if you get 10hrs sleep or 4 hrs sleep, the important thing is you enter that level of deep sleep. Sleep is to rest and reset your brain, rather than just lying there for x amount of hours with your eyes closed and in a bit of a kip.
I've functioned far better, far more often on the latter and can become groggy if I've slept too long. Most likely I've just been sleeping on the periphery of rem, in a gentle sleep for hours, without actually doing any real good to my brain.
Other nights I go to bed at 2am, bang straight out 4hrs solid kip, up at 6am and feel fantastic.

A study was done a few years back in which they found that actually waking yourself up at optimal times can result in a better sleep.
It determined that instead of being stuck in a low level sleep where you only briefly dip in and out of REM, but for the most part are not within that 'quality' zone, you wake yourself up, then when you go back to sleep, you're out like a light and in heavy rest sleep.
We've all experienced it when we've woken up in the night, or an hour before our alarms, we all end up falling deep to sleep and that's when many dreams can often occur.

I think of it as a gentle linear wave on a chart with 6-7 shallow curves over 8hrs. That's long, but poor sleep.
Whereas you'd get 2 steep curves across a 5hr period, but the crucial factor is that they dip well into the required sleeping zone.

What I find interesting also, is that people will spend £200 on clothes, yet when it comes to a mattress which they spend a 3rd of their life on, they'll umm and err over spending more than £250
It's possibly the best investment you can make for yourself. Spend upwards of a grand if need be.

bunk wrote:Have it every time I get back from Glastonbury, along with brain zaps and flashing blue lights.

Ket bangs?
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:03 am

Rars , your case makes fascinating reading , - if you don't mind me asking do you need to take any safety measurements before going to bed , make sure windows are locked etc or are you in ' full control ' during these episodes .

When Jen was young , around 12 her mother had to be taken into hospital and at night she [ Jen ] would see a Harlequin twirling above her bed . This went on for three weeks and her Dad kept her off school and took her to the local Doctor who said ' I could send her to see a psychiatrist but it would probably send her even more mad ' [ his words at the time , late 60s ] . Glad to say that the quality of Doctor has improved since those simpler times .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:08 am

No, nothing needed precautionary wise.
I've headbutted an ex before - when I say headbutted, I mean a more gentle butt to the top of her head - during one of my episodes, but never required anything drastic.

I've had times where I've knocked over drinks at the side of the bed, which could of course be dangerous is there's plugs and devices around.
It's always confined to the bedroom and nearly always involves items in the room; the bedsheets and pillows especially become big items of interest and manifest into all sorts of things.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby davids cross on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:00 pm

Rars...

How often do they happen ? the type of ones you mention about last night. Significant episodes.

Like how many times a week or a month ?

The only thing I have ever had is being aware I am conscious but being unable to wake myself enough to move. It was very frightening. I fell asleep on the sofa and "woke" to hear the chatter in the room..........yet I just couldn't move.

It only happened when I was exceptionally tired.
davids cross

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug