How Many Hours' Sleep Do You Need ?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: How Many Hours' Sleep Do You Need ?

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Bbc did a sample test years ago. Weened 8 hrs a night sleepers down to 3 hours. Took a while but basically bodies and minds adapted.
Hugh Jargon II

Postby the celestial insect on Tue May 02, 2017 9:13 pm

I've suffered with insomnia ever since I was a child, so it's hard to say how much I 'need'. Usually, I function on around 4-5 hours averaged out, but I can't say I ever feel fully alert or at the top of my game.
the celestial insect

Postby pablo jaye on Tue May 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Generally anywhere between 6-8 hours, although I can muddle through on 5. I found my sleep patterns changed totally after having kids and started to get up a lot earlier .... however whilst they grew up to be teenagers that could sleep for Britain, I never managed to regain the ability to lie in.

Occasionally I will need to charge up the batteries and may go to bed about 8.30 and sleep for a good 10-11 hours, after which I feel top drawer.
pablo jaye

Postby White Goodman on Tue May 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Im in bed at 10 and up at 3.45 each day.

My sleep quality is atrocious too. I reckon it will kill me before I'm 65. Has to be a short cut to cancer or dementia or.something equally ****.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby Iron-worx on Tue May 02, 2017 9:54 pm

I've always needed a lot of sleep, I can sleep for England.

10pm to 8am and often another 90 minutes in the afternoon...

Nearly my bedtime :asleep:
Iron-worx

Postby RichieRiv on Tue May 02, 2017 9:58 pm

7, although would prefer 8. All gets ruined when I've been on the piss. I may pass out, but the quality of sleep is appalling.
RichieRiv

Postby Mega Ron on Tue May 02, 2017 10:35 pm

I usually get around 7 or 8 hours.

8 hours uninterrupted and I function pretty well. 7 hours then I only need a pint of coffee.

Since our son was born I've been snorting ground coffee off my desk for the last 9 weeks.
Mega Ron

Postby WHU Independent on Tue May 02, 2017 10:43 pm

I used to be a world class sleeper but now I am an insomniac. It's going to sleep that is the difficulty. Once I am asleep, if I wake up I can usually turn over and go back to sleep.

It's nothing for me to go to bed a 3AM, still be awake at 7AM, get up have some breakfast and go back to bed about 8pm, finally get off to sleep about 9AM and sleep through to 3PM!

The lack of sleep builds up and one day last week I went to bed at 8:30 PM and slept through to 12 noon the next afternoon! That's aprox 15 1/2 hours sleep!

The clincher is I love sleep as I dream every night. My dreams are lurid and vivid, with sound and colour. Sometimes I can change my dream if it's not going a way I like and I can also sometimes continue where they left off the night before.

The most frightening thing is that they are sometimes prophetic. For example, on Sunday I had to go to Spitafield market at 2pm via car. Anyone who has been there on a Sunday, knows what a nightmare it is to park on the street there. That Saturday night I had a dream a car parking space in a certain street, 4th one in on the left would be free for me.

I drove to the Market Sunday, there was 0 parking available, so I tried the street I dreamed of. Lo and Behold there she was 4th slot on the left, just waiting for me.

Scary!
WHU Independent

Postby Clucking Bell on Wed May 03, 2017 4:38 am

Varies quite a bit. I rarely sleep for more than four hours without waking up and, thereafter, I sleep for an hour and then am awake for ten minutes or so. This cycle continues for a few hours until I decide to get up.

I can manage with four hours a night for weeks at a time. Six or seven is normal and once in a while I'll manage double figures.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed May 03, 2017 7:22 am

pablo jaye wrote:Generally anywhere between 6-8 hours, although I can muddle through on 5. I found my sleep patterns changed totally after having kids and started to get up a lot earlier .... however whilst they grew up to be teenagers that could sleep for Britain, I never managed to regain the ability to lie in.

Occasionally I will need to charge up the batteries and may go to bed about 8.30 and sleep for a good 10-11 hours, after which I feel top drawer.

This is how my sleep pattern usually pans out.

I really notice the difference of an extra hour.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby kayahammer on Wed May 03, 2017 12:01 pm

White Goodman wrote:Im in bed at 10 and up at 3.45 each day.

My sleep quality is atrocious too. I reckon it will kill me before I'm 65. Has to be a short cut to cancer or dementia or.something equally ****.

If you count up hours awake compared to someone who gets 9 hours a day but lives a bit longer you come out ahead :thup:
kayahammer

Postby Ben on Wed May 03, 2017 4:27 pm

what's the deal with interrupted sleep?
my 2 year old wakes 2-3 times a night and usually by the 3rd he ends up in our bed just so we can get some sleep but I feel like 7 hours sleep with the waking to settle him a few times is like I'm getting 5 hours sleep
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby warp on Wed May 03, 2017 5:06 pm

^ i guess it screws up your sleep phases and it's like you have to start over again every time you wake up. kids, eh?
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed May 03, 2017 5:58 pm

When you've got three cats and a dog, live on an estate that is like something out of Shameless and have a step-daughter that is the UK's biggest drama queen, I need loads. Sadly I get very very little.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby hammerdivone on Wed May 03, 2017 6:50 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:When you've got three cats and a dog, live on an estate that is like something out of Shameless and have a step-daughter that is the UK's biggest drama queen, I need loads. Sadly I get very very little.

Still assuming she hasn't worked out how to wire a plug at least it's a bit more peaceful
hammerdivone

Postby Iron-worx on Wed May 03, 2017 9:22 pm

WHU Independent wrote:The clincher is I love sleep as I dream every night. My dreams are lurid and vivid, with sound and colour. Sometimes I can change my dream if it's not going a way I like and I can also sometimes continue where they left off the night before.

I rarely remember dreaming but how about this weird one that happened in the Winter...

I dreamed that a wasp was flying around and kept coming close to my head, I could hear the buzzing just as if real...

I was lying in bed and it was dark in the dream, which was what I was actually doing too...

I was concerned at first but then reasoned there's no wasps in winter therefore this must be a dream, ignore it and I did...

Good thing it wasn't summer :D
Iron-worx

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed May 03, 2017 9:43 pm

hammerdivone wrote:Still assuming she hasn't worked out how to wire a plug at least it's a bit more peaceful

It's been eerily quiet. I don't even think she's worked out that the plug isn't attached. I'm assuming she thinks it's just packed up. Ah the bliss. ...
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Thu May 04, 2017 11:24 am

White Goodman wrote:Im in bed at 10 and up at 3.45 each day.

That's still nearly 6 hours sleep every night .

Don't worry so much about the amount of sleep you're getting as long as you're happy within yourself .

Are you aware of what's causing you not to sleep as soundly as you could , do you drink alcohol for instance ?

When I was drinking my quality of sleep was very poor to say the least .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Hammers Dad on Thu May 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Weekdays it's about 6, weekends can be as much as 8.
When I was playing soldiers, when away, I would get 3 or 4 hours a night; on exercise doing a 4-8-8-4 shift in the hospital pattern, I'd get about 4 if lucky.
Hammers Dad

Postby cockney farmer on Thu May 04, 2017 8:36 pm

In bed by 9 usually watch TV for an hour then straight to sleep , alarms on for 5.15 but rarely need it birds this time of year noisy by 4.50 , even on a Sunday (unless smashed) up by 630 ish always been a morning person , 30 odd years on Royal Mail does that to you
cockney farmer

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug