How Many Hours' Sleep Do You Need ?

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: How Many Hours' Sleep Do You Need ?

Postby mumbles87 on Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 pm

im brilliant with sleep

when im earlies i get 6-7 hours
lates I get 8
nights i average 5 hours
mumbles87

Postby Ben on Thu May 04, 2017 10:31 pm

Anyone ever had sleep paralysis?
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby jevs on Fri May 05, 2017 5:48 am

I'm rarely awake after 9pm...earlier sometimes. But i'm up about 4 times for a wee in the night and it's starting to get to me a bit. Been like that for about 3 years but off to see the quack next week. I don't sleep well when my daughter has to be up for an early shift or when she doesn't text me to say she won't be home.

Need a 20 min power nap most days....recharges the battery just right.

Up every morning at 5am, even at weekends. Always been an early bird....waking up at 7am is an amaizing lie-in!!!
jevs

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Fri May 05, 2017 7:48 am

Does anyone else twitch in bed (just as you are dropping off?)

It's called involuntary limb movement disorder I believe. Very weird. Drives me nuts.Pardon?
Hugh Jargon II

Postby OFT on Fri May 05, 2017 8:16 am

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Does anyone else twitch in bed

My legs kick out according to her ladyship.

As for the main question:-

Some years ago the wife decided to take up part time work at a local supermarket which involves her getting up at 5am, so she goes to bed at 10pm. I got into the habit of staying up late and subsequently falling asleep in front of the TV stretched out on the sofa. I now find it difficult to sleep without the TV on, and have done for years. On the nights where I do go to bed I watch TV and drift off fairly quickly usually for 3 or 4 hours. I then can't get back to sleep and not wanting to wake the wife up, go downstairs, put the TV on and I'm out for the count in no time. Consequently my sleep patterns are chaotic and I find I could quite easily sleep most of the day.
Worryingly this, it seems, is very bad for you and I am struggling to concentrate and in some instances remember stuff.
The GP seems to think this is all related to the depression I'm currently taking tablets for(again!)

I bet it's not just me yawning now is it? :D
OFT

Postby irons88 on Fri May 05, 2017 9:22 am

Ben wrote:Anyone ever had sleep paralysis?

Yes, it's horrible! Just that feeling of impeding doom and being completely powerless. I used to get it a lot in my student years, I'm now 29 and haven't had it for a few years.

I work shifts, I do two 12 hour days 05.30-17.30, followed by two 12 hour nights 17.30-05.30, before having 4 days off. I repeat that 7 times and then have 18 days off, so I do find my sleep is all over the place! I reckon I average 4-5 hours sleep between day shifts, and maybe 6 hours between night shifts. When I'm on my 4 days off or 18 days off, I'll ideally have about 9 hours per night. I'm on my first day shift today, so I've been up since 4.30 which isn't ideal. Saying that, I do 72 day shifts per year, so I guess in a way that beats getting up at 6am or so 220 odd times a year as you would doing a Monday to Friday job.
irons88

Postby ageing hammer on Fri May 05, 2017 11:24 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Does anyone else twitch in bed ?

I do but it's not my legs :D
ageing hammer

Postby mushy on Sat May 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Hugh Jargon II wrote:Does anyone else twitch in bed (just as you are dropping off?)

It's called involuntary limb movement disorder I believe. Very weird. Drives me nuts.Pardon?

Usually get this when am totally drained both physically and mentally.
Its like something is telling you to stay awake, even though you are desperate for sleep.
Must be a reason I guess but no idea what it is.
mushy

Postby Sweeney Bod on Sat May 06, 2017 3:09 pm

I use to wake up 4 or 5 times per night. I went to the sleep clinic and after monitoring, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I now wear a mask each night. It does help, but now it takes ages to get to sleep.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Postby Robbie on Sat May 06, 2017 6:37 pm

I love sleeping. I can get my head down anywhere and be off within seconds.
I feel magic after 9hrs but can easily do 10 or 11.
Anything under 8 and I'm not firing properly. When I'm not at work I love an hour or so in the afternoon. It refreshes me totally. Strangely some find it makes them feel like ****. It's funny how we are all so different.
Robbie

Postby vietnammer on Sat May 06, 2017 6:38 pm

Ben wrote:Anyone ever had sleep paralysis?

Used to get it in my 20's. Didn't know what it was at the time but recognised it from reading.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Czech Hammer on Sun May 07, 2017 2:58 pm

fjthegrey wrote:I need 8 hours sleep a day.

And 10 at night.

Very good. I didn't gob my tea all over the screen, but I did LOL a snorty one.
Czech Hammer

Postby Czech Hammer on Sun May 07, 2017 4:13 pm

In answer to the original question, I am getting by on 4-5 hours, then once or twice a month I involuntarily sleep about 12 hours.

I regularly stop breathing while I am asleep.

In my dream, I am aware I am not breathing and tell myself ''Stay calm, its only a dream'' and then I wake up.

A very scary occurrence happened when I was asleep, dreaming that I was asleep having one of these 'not breathing' episodes.

In my dream, I woke up, only to find I was still not breathing in reality. Eventually I woke up in a panic, and it really shook me up. I wonder if this is how I will die.

Happy Sunday Everybody.
Czech Hammer

Postby WHU Independent on Sun May 07, 2017 5:21 pm

I've had really bad sleep patterns over the last few weeks but a few steins of Weissbeer at the Beerfest I was in bed by 9 o'clock last night and slept like a baby till approx 12:30 pm today. Apart from "hop belly" - I drank some beer was very fresh and hoppy, gives you bad squits and farts - I feel great!
WHU Independent

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 am

I've had an ear problem for the past week or so and felt completely knackered , I was hearing my pulse in both ears and feeling a bit ' off ' so I went to the Doc who prescribed olive oil and told me I had ' a virus ' .
I slept soundly for 8 or 9 hours each night then last night I went to bed at midnight and was wide awake at 6am again - I must be better .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Happyhammer52 on Tue May 09, 2017 9:30 am

Went veggie a fortnight back, just to prove to the Mrs I could live without processed meat, and not sure if it is linked or not, but found I sleep so much more solidly. Getting about 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep now. Interested to see if it continues when I knock this diet on the head.
Happyhammer52

Postby DasNutNock on Tue May 09, 2017 9:43 am

Happyhammer52 wrote:Went veggie a fortnight back, just to prove to the Mrs I could live without processed meat, and not sure if it is linked or not, but found I sleep so much more solidly. Getting about 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep now. Interested to see if it continues when I knock this diet on the head.

It's linked. Might be worth hanging onto that diet if it's improving your overall health? Don't have to go 100%, but cutting out all processed meat & most other meat is a pretty effective way of giving your system a head start.
DasNutNock

Postby Mega Ron on Tue May 09, 2017 10:53 am

I don't eat a lot of meat but I do find myself feeling more hungry when I go to bed having eaten a veggie meal.
Mega Ron

Postby WHU Independent on Tue May 09, 2017 11:24 pm

The answer is simple Ron: Eat more ;)

My sleep has been bad for a few years, but I put this due to the long term stress and grief I'm getting re the compulsory purchase of my property. That plus one or two other things I have on my mind and can't let go.
WHU Independent

Postby freelander on Wed May 10, 2017 11:52 am

I need about 6 hours but quite often I only get a fractured two!

Particularly when I get this lullaby in my head on a loop ! (including visuals)

Despite awakening somewhat fractious I am always UP and alert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsMiEvPZaLM

There is just something about her mouth being so close to the microphone and the use of some very nimble fingers that has me 'tossing' and turning.

A lullaby ? Are you joking me!
freelander

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug