Gay

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Gay

Postby 'stone hammer on Wed May 17, 2017 11:25 am

the celestial insect wrote:
In relation to the idea that a rise in homophobic hate crime is necessarily due to people coming from overseas (above post), and in relation to the continued need for vigilance and events like Pride. The latter is something that I've wondered about myself in recent years.

Interesting. Being a straight guy myself I haven't experienced or seen much homophobia from foreigners. Is it a significant issue in the gay community? Obviously I understand that the article is stating it is, but saying hate crimes have risen by 150% for example can be misleading, going from 1 hate crime to 3
'stone hammer

Postby 'stone hammer on Wed May 17, 2017 11:26 am

And also do poppers actually work?
'stone hammer

Postby PF. on Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am

'stone hammer wrote:Interesting. Being a straight guy myself I haven't experienced or seen much homophobia from foreigners. Is it a significant issue in the gay community?

I've lived around the world, and haven't seen any major incidences other than general ignorance (which can be said about religion too).

The recent events in Aceh (Indonesia) is ****ing shameful though, and using "it's only in this area that these laws apply" is disgraceful for any country. ***** should be hung out to dry.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby aboycalleddave on Wed May 17, 2017 11:46 am

By the way, great post.
aboycalleddave

Postby btajim - mcfc on Wed May 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Many females seem to veer towards the bi-curious category, IMO. The girls in my student house would lock lips for banter and many seem to hate men far more than we could ever reciprocate. Ditto those who lose interest in their husband after they have children.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby the celestial insect on Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 pm

'stone hammer wrote:Interesting. Being a straight guy myself I haven't experienced or seen much homophobia from foreigners. Is it a significant issue in the gay community? Obviously I understand that the article is stating it is, but saying hate crimes have risen by 150% for example can be misleading, going from 1 hate crime to 3

Re: homophobia from foreigners, I don't know because I've been far removed from any gay community for a good few years, and all my friends/family are straight. This is probably why I don't fully appreciate the need for Pride these days...until I notice an attack or something reported in the news.

Re: poppers, I've got an underlying heart condition, so I've always steered clear!

Oh, and yes, agree -- stats rarely tell the whole story.
the celestial insect

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed May 17, 2017 1:25 pm

In regards to this 'fashionable' thing, in my experience, I do think an element of it exists; that is towards younger women.

As Jim touches on above, I've experience a fair few younger women that have had issues growing up whether it be with their parents (or just their dad) with blokes, with society in general etc and there have been a fair few that have 'come out' as being gay or bisexual.
My initial response was usually 'no, you're not'. After some time, it would quite appear that it was a phase.

They were angry, rebellious, disillusioned and a big part of the go-to reaction was to question their sexuality and look for answers that way.
Whether it was specifically 'fashionable' - well, certainly in some cases - "Oh, you wear Vans now and you have piercings and tattoos and you listen to Paramore do you?".
Little while later, just a phase, in a happy relationship with a bloke, no contact with previous group of girls.

But to be fair, for some it was a natural reactionary case.

There's certainly an element of being ostentatious there, for sure.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby 'stone hammer on Wed May 17, 2017 1:59 pm

In my experience, young girls being bi is a pretty common phase, I don't know if fashionable is the word, but generally the girls I knew that were claiming to be bi were in the same kind of attention-seeking mould as vegans, in that they can't wait to tell you just to proclaim that they're different.
'stone hammer

Postby sendô on Wed May 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Hmm, I daresay there could be an element of fashionability for some. A bit like how when teenagers rebel against strict parents and the like, it's normally in much the same way - piercings, tattoos, emo/goth culture and so on. A conformist rebel as such. Nonetheless there's probably still just as many coming out as straight who aren't through peer pressure and the like. Some wild assumptions in that, I appreciate.
sendô

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed May 17, 2017 5:03 pm

hammerdivone wrote:Resurrected by our Eastern European visitors TOMOS, not locals

Is that right , sorry , I didn't know that - that's twice I've heard something negative about Eastern Europeans today , some of them have been caught nicking a bloke's scallops up here I was told this afternoon .
Shame , really , as I know 4 Hungarian folk on Skye and they're all brilliant people .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed May 17, 2017 5:13 pm

the celestial insect wrote:
I and nobody does the tidying up. Ever. :oops:

Oh my gawd , that reminds me , she'll be home in half an hour and I haven't even hoovered up yet , sheeeeeeeite !
The Old Man of Storr

Postby tonkaman on Wed May 17, 2017 5:16 pm

lewisham-mer wrote:Unless you look like Tom Hardy and got a 10 inch w1lly, then you're probably safe....

I've told you before, you're not my type Image
tonkaman

Postby Hammers Dad on Wed May 17, 2017 7:31 pm

lewisham-mer wrote:Unless you look like Tom Hardy and got a 10 inch w1lly, then you're probably safe....
tonkaman wrote:I've told you before, you're not my type Image

Read the post again, he didn't say Oliver Hardy and 10cm.......
Hammers Dad

Postby ageing hammer on Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 pm

:D
ageing hammer

Postby btajim - mcfc on Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 am

sendô wrote:Hmm, I daresay there could be an element of fashionability for some. A bit like how when teenagers rebel against strict parents and the like, it's normally in much the same way - piercings, tattoos, emo/goth culture and so on. A conformist rebel as such. Nonetheless there's probably still just as many coming out as straight who aren't through peer pressure and the like. Some wild assumptions in that, I appreciate.

Piercings and tattoos are so mainstream now. It's a really chavvy look these days.

I had a **** buddy in my early twenties who swore blind she was bisexual. I have her on Facebook and she was married to a man for a few years. They're now divorced by the looks of things and she's dating another man. I don't know anybody whoever saw her in a relationship with another girl.
btajim - mcfc

Postby east_ham on Thu May 18, 2017 5:44 pm

btajim - mcfc wrote:
I had a **** buddy in my early twenties who swore blind she was bisexual. I have her on Facebook and she was married to a man for a few years. They're now divorced by the looks of things and she's dating another man. I don't know anybody whoever saw her in a relationship with another girl.

Maybe she had a ****buddy who was a woman as well , yours wasn't a relationship , maybe she didnt' need / has never needed to qualify hers either?
east_ham

Postby btajim - mcfc on Fri May 19, 2017 8:57 am

east_ham wrote:Maybe she had a ****buddy who was a woman as well , yours wasn't a relationship , maybe she didnt' need / has never needed to qualify hers either?

I'm right. Few took her seriously.
btajim - mcfc

Postby last.caress on Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 am

She could still have been bisexual without ever having had a same-sex relationship.
last.caress
Extreme w*nker

Location: Se incontri L'ultimo.carezza, pregate per la tua morte.

Postby delbert on Fri May 19, 2017 9:50 am

ageing hammer wrote:Good post Lewisham thank you.
A work colleague of mine is gay and is a good friend of mine. He has just come back from a trip to New York with his partner and announced that they got engaged.We were all delighted for them of course and during the conversation he was asked who proposed to who. He said his boyfriend popped the question and also gave him the ring. So he has the ring and the boyfriend has none. I asked him why was this and why wouldn't he propose to his boyfriend. He said oh no it HAD to be him ask me and I had to get the ring. This has me slightly puzzled ( possibly due to my ignorance ) but who decides this side of things when its two men. Is it that in the relationship one man takes on a kind of female role and the other the male role or am I way off with this.

I imagine it would get sorted quite early in the relationship, probably involving an oiled up wrestling match...... :)
delbert

Postby mushy on Fri May 19, 2017 9:55 am

The Old Man of Storr wrote: caught nicking a bloke's scallops .

Not something you often read in the snug.
Unless its some coded euphemism to do with this thread.
mushy

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug