Cyber attack, as someone once said 'be careful out there'

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Cyber attack, as someone once said 'be careful out there'

Postby djclipz on Thu May 18, 2017 12:06 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:Apparently, an upgrade would have meant that the NHS needed to pay for the Patient software to be rewritten

I wonder how much it would cost to switch to Linux e.g REDHAT?

You've probably half answered it yourself with the first line.

UK Government run IT projects have had some spectacular failures over the years and most them usually stem from the planning stage.
djclipz

Postby uptonparkhurst on Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:Apparently, an upgrade would have meant that the NHS needed to pay for the Patient software to be rewritten

I wonder how much it would cost to switch to Linux e.g REDHAT?

djclipz wrote:
You've probably half answered it yourself with the first line.

UK Government run IT projects have had some spectacular failures over the years and most them usually stem from the planning stage.

To be fair to Microsoft there was a time when they were probably the only practical solution, but surely it
would be a good thing for the NHS to be in partnership with the IT departments of our leading universities
developing open-source solutions?
uptonparkhurst

Location: An Alternate Reality of Evil Spells and worse spelling

Postby yonni on Thu May 18, 2017 1:09 pm

I work for the NHS and was astounded when I got involved in meetings with ATOS (People who screwed up the Olympic ticketing system) over maintenance and development of NHS software systems. The charges for minor alterations they make should be illegal. Some work has gone on to rectify this by putting together a team of developers to begin developing bespoke stuff by the NHS for the NHS. Internal politics and government intervention seem to be the main stumbling blocks, not staff capability. To criticise the NHS after reducing budgets 5% year on year for the last 5 years is disgraceful showboating by politicians for nothing more than their own personal job security, possibly at the cost of someone else's. Healthcare is not their priority, self preservation at all costs is.
yonni

Postby Iron-worx on Fri May 19, 2017 9:43 pm

uptonparkhurst wrote:I wonder how much it would cost to switch to Linux e.g REDHAT?

Munich City Council adapted Ubuntu and called it Limux, they've used it for about a decade and were going to drop it but I believe have now decided to keep it.

It would probably be fairly easy to cheaply develop an NHS Linux distro based on any of the mainline distros, the expense would be the switchover.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is essentially Fedora.
Iron-worx

Previous

Return to The Snug