CV do's and don'ts

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: CV do's and don'ts

Postby Hammer1972 on Tue May 16, 2017 12:52 pm

A general rule is, if you have held a number of jobs, supply most detail about the most recent job down to the least detail on your earliest job.
Hammer1972

Postby Marky on Tue May 16, 2017 12:59 pm

RichieRiv wrote:First rule, don't lie when it comes to employment history I.e dates, job titles etc or qualifications. If you get found out it's gross misconduct and you'll be out on your ear.

A personal statement / exec summary is a good idea as this will capture the readers attention - or that's the idea. Don't talk about yourself in the third party and try not to use cliché's; "work happily as a team player or alone", "able to deliver on time". You get my drift - meaningless drivel that every other candidate will include.

In terms of length, 2 pages was always the rule, but mine runs into 3 pages, mainly because I've been working for 20 years and I want to include all my experience and positions. Don't feel you need to pad it out just for the sake of it - the hiring manager will have a stack of cvs on his / her desk so they'll spend maybe 30 seconds a side. So make it punchy.

I'm sure there are many who will dispute it, but my general format is:

Contact Details (including LinkedIn page making sure it tallies with your cv)
Exec Summary
Compant - Job Tiitle - dates - responsibilies - achievements

You don't need to put references, as if you're successful the company will ask.

Finally get several people to proof read it. It needs to be perfect.

Oh and good luck.

I have 20 years in recruitment and thats pretty accurate.
I would do 2 pages max.

Other advice its more common place for Employers to check your social media footprint so be aware of any dodgy recent facebook pics.

Try and sell in your Employment history by talking of positive achievements and learns.
If you had a short time at a company i.e. less than a year give a suitable reason for leaving. Employers hate 'flight risks'
Marky

Postby RichieRiv on Tue May 16, 2017 6:54 pm

I've been on the recruitment merry-go-round a few times Marky :wink:
RichieRiv

Postby Clucking Bell on Tue May 16, 2017 7:39 pm

I tend to think that CVs are only really appropriate for relatively junior positions. If you're aiming for director-level and above jobs, networking is the only way to go. Furthermore you want your first and only contact with a recruiter or anyone in HR to be the day you start.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby RichieRiv on Tue May 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Not always that easy Clucking.

All our recruitment has to run by HR. In fact you need HR approval to raise an open rec. It's an industry in itself.
RichieRiv

Postby mushy on Wed May 17, 2017 9:37 am

Marky wrote:Other advice its more common place for Employers to check your social media footprint so be aware of any dodgy recent facebook pics.

And there lies the rub, for someone like me who stubbornly refuses the social media cult and has no Facebook account, does this work against me?
Do they search Facebook for me and when they find nothing chuck my application in the bin?
mushy

Postby Hammer1972 on Wed May 17, 2017 10:08 am

mushy wrote:And there lies the rub, for someone like me who stubbornly refuses the social media cult and has no Facebook account, does this work against me?
Do they search Facebook for me and when they find nothing chuck my application in the bin?

Unless you are applying for a job at Facebook, I'm gonna say they really wouldn't give a ****.
Hammer1972

Postby Mega Ron on Wed May 17, 2017 10:24 am

mushy wrote:
And there lies the rub, for someone like me who stubbornly refuses the social media cult and has no Facebook account, does this work against me?

I think they would be looking to see if there are negative things on social media so if you have no presence there then there would be nothing negative to find.
Mega Ron

Postby Marky on Wed May 17, 2017 11:54 am

Mushy,
Great question I would expect to find you on Linked In if nor on Facebook. I dont think it counts against anyone who is not on FB or Instagram (most of my friends arent).
Marky

Postby Hammer1972 on Wed May 17, 2017 12:05 pm

"He's the perfect candidate in every way, qualified, competent, personable, available to start immediately. But we can't take him on as he isn't on Snapchat."

Not really likely is it.
Hammer1972

Postby DasNutNock on Wed May 17, 2017 12:13 pm

mushy wrote:And there lies the rub, for someone like me who stubbornly refuses the social media cult and has no Facebook account, does this work against me?

I reckon not having a Facebook makes you look like you've got something to hide.

Well? Do you?
DasNutNock

Postby btajim - mcfc on Wed May 17, 2017 12:27 pm

My old line manager used to look candidates up on Twitter. She memorably described one lad as "a nutter". Curiosity got the better of me and all I saw was a burly football fan who liked rock music. He had an obscure surname so it was almost certainly him. It'd be tragic if that cost him a job.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby fjthegrey on Wed May 17, 2017 12:37 pm

DasNutNock wrote:I reckon not having Facebook makes you look like you've got something to hide.

Well? Do you?

His integrity!

And all them murders he done.
fjthegrey

Postby DasNutNock on Wed May 17, 2017 12:43 pm

fjthegrey wrote:And all them murders he done.

Is the right answer.
DasNutNock

Postby Clucking Bell on Wed May 17, 2017 12:57 pm

RichieRiv wrote:Not always that easy Clucking.

All our recruitment has to run by HR. In fact you need HR approval to raise an open rec. It's an industry in itself.

I've just thought of a way to save your company hundreds of thousands :D You should have your CEO give me a call - you and him would look great, the company would run more efficiently and everyone except those currently employed in the HR department would be much happier.

I can perform a very similar miracle if you happen to have a purchasing function as well.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby warp on Wed May 17, 2017 12:58 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Well? Do you?

punk!
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Smonnie on Fri May 19, 2017 10:10 am

I'm a recruiter.

Send me your CV and I'll give you some feedback.

Simon
Smonnie

Postby We_are_BML on Fri May 19, 2017 12:49 pm

My dilemma at the moment is my job role doesn't match my job title, so I find recruiters don't even bother reading about my most current role they just move on when they see the job title. If i was to change the job title on my CV to come in line with my responsibilities how could a potential new employer find out?
We_are_BML

Postby Big George on Sat May 20, 2017 12:00 am

We_are_BML wrote:My dilemma at the moment is my job role doesn't match my job title, so I find recruiters don't even bother reading about my most current role they just move on when they see the job title. If i was to change the job title on my CV to come in line with my responsibilities how could a potential new employer find out?

Change your job title on your CV.
Big George

Postby vietnammer on Sat May 20, 2017 12:11 am

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug