Toxic workplace

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Toxic workplace

Postby chigwells finest on Thu May 18, 2017 11:11 am

anybody ever worked in an environment where even the remotest remark or action is deemed a hanging offence ? some people are just not good working with others
chigwells finest

Re: Toxic workplace

Postby sendô on Thu May 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Yes. Is this due to pressure etc or a PC culture where everyone is out to get everyone, or is it led by an ****hole boss?
sendô

Postby Mega Ron on Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 pm

I worked in a small office in Ealing when I had just moved to London and we were expected to work in almost total silence.

There were 5 of us in one room and 'the boss' in the other room. We had to communicate with each other via MSN Messenger and were expected to go into the courtyard to make or receive phone calls.

That was a fun place. At least I was usually still smashed from the night before.
Mega Ron

Postby warp on Thu May 18, 2017 1:00 pm

i wash your mum's knickers for a living. doesn't get much more toxic than that.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby btajim - mcfc on Thu May 18, 2017 1:40 pm

The charity sector was the worst I ever worked in. I tried to refuse to attend diversity training because I knew it would be piss me off; but I was threatened with dismissal if I didn't go. I was tempted to run a sweepstake as to who the trainer would be. i.e. Black woman, gay man, wheelchair user...

We were taught by someone who made Graham Norton look like Mike Tyson. He ended his diatribe about our office having to represent 21st century Britain (positive discrimination etc) and stood there open mouthed when several of us disagreed with him.

I've never had such training since.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby -DL- on Thu May 18, 2017 1:58 pm

I had a job, very briefly, in an office where talking wasn't allowed unless it was business related. Complete silence. Even when you did need to talk business related, you had to approach the owner at his desk first to find out if it was deemed necessary to 'disturb' another work mate.

No radio was allowed on, you had to put your hand up if you needed a toilet break, and you was religiously timed as to how long you was gone for. Anything above 5 minutes, and you was docked pay for the entire length of time you was away.

Needless to say, I lasted less than a week before I parted company. The tirade I gave the dictator before I left was worth the money they never paid me.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby sendô on Thu May 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Sounds like you was in junior school DL.
sendô

Postby pablo jaye on Thu May 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Like DL, I can remember working Ina place a bit like that - an overbearing boss who, when he was in, would rule with a rod of iron. Even the desks were arranged like a classroom - fortunately it was a temp job and the lass who sat next to me fancied me so would flirt outrageously and seeing what she could get away with - a flash of knickers, her tits etc ....

Unfortunately, that was pre-KUMB days so no pics I'm afraid! :lol:
pablo jaye

Postby chigwells finest on Thu May 18, 2017 7:29 pm

used to be a fun place to be , lots of good things were done , but 1 practitioner has been replaced by another and 3 years good work rapidly being ruined in 4/5 weeks.
chigwells finest

Postby Bend it like Repka on Thu May 18, 2017 7:38 pm

-DL- wrote:I had a job, very briefly, in an office where talking wasn't allowed unless it was business related. Complete silence. Even when you did need to talk business related, you had to approach the owner at his desk first to find out if it was deemed necessary to 'disturb' another work mate.

No radio was allowed on, you had to put your hand up if you needed a toilet break, and you was religiously timed as to how long you was gone for. Anything above 5 minutes, and you was docked pay for the entire length of time you was away.

Needless to say, I lasted less than a week before I parted company. The tirade I gave the dictator before I left was worth the money they never paid me.

That is just ridiculous. How can a company like that ever expect a long term stable workforce who want to be there. Idiots. I have worked in two silent places in my life and they were utterly depressing and unbearable. Couldn't wait for the day to end.

Some companies and bosses are so thick they deserve to fail.
Bend it like Repka

Postby jevs on Thu May 18, 2017 8:02 pm

I have trees, grass and other pretty flowers....we get on well!!!
jevs

Postby Sweeney Bod on Thu May 18, 2017 8:17 pm

I worked for a small company in Tower Hill. The Managing Director had massive mood swings. Some days he would come into work all smiles and would make coffee for the team, other days he would berate anyone and every one. We never knew what mood he would be in.

The worst behaviour was the day of 7/7. He got angrier and angrier as his staff tried to call loved ones to confirm they were OK.

I was not surprised the company went bust a few years after I left.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Postby Hammer1972 on Fri May 19, 2017 8:46 am

pablo jaye wrote:the lass who sat next to me fancied me so would flirt outrageously and seeing what she could get away with - a flash of knickers, her tits etc ....

Unfortunately, that was pre-KUMB days so no pics I'm afraid! :lol:

Yeah, I can see how it would have that effect.
Hammer1972

Postby btajim - mcfc on Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 am

-DL- wrote:I had a job, very briefly, in an office where talking wasn't allowed unless it was business related. Complete silence. Even when you did need to talk business related, you had to approach the owner at his desk first to find out if it was deemed necessary to 'disturb' another work mate.

Give us some highlights of what you said to Hitler.
btajim - mcfc

Postby -DL- on Sun May 21, 2017 10:28 am

btajim - mcfc wrote:Give us some highlights of what you said to Hitler.

**** you **** and your ******** **** job, I've never ******** known such a ******* **** place to work or known somebody so ******* up their own ****. How the **** you've got away with treating people like **** for so ******* long beggars belief. Shove your **** job right up your ****. ****.

Twas along those lines...
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby btajim - mcfc on Sun May 21, 2017 1:55 pm

:scarfer:

I'd love someone to do that where I've worked.
btajim - mcfc

Postby ageing hammer on Sun May 21, 2017 5:10 pm

btajim - mcfc wrote:Give us some highlights of what you said to Hitler.
-DL- wrote:
**** you **** and your ******** **** job, I've never ******** known such a ******* **** place to work or known somebody so ******* up their own ****. How the **** you've got away with treating people like **** for so ******* long beggars belief. Shove your **** job right up your ****. ****.

Twas along those lines...

DL there are some jobs out there if you had spoke in that tone they would have promoted you to manager :D
ageing hammer

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon May 22, 2017 7:50 am

Were any of the above companies successful at what they did?

My company used to be like this when the firm was in its infancy and there were a handful of people working there. Now there are over 40 people working there and it has become more relaxed (and so has the MD), but it appeared to make the company very successful and has a fantastic reputation.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby btajim - mcfc on Wed May 24, 2017 10:11 am

The charity sector is the biggest mistake I ever made. I worked for three over the course of four years (one temp, one contract and one permanent) and all were awful. Deeply divided organisations including who gets bits of money and volunteers / local branches vs paid staff.

If you're ever planning on donating to a charity then be sure to read their annual report to see where you money actually goes.
btajim - mcfc

Postby PF. on Wed May 24, 2017 10:16 am

In my teens, I once worked in a local gym where the largest revenue stream was from selling steriods in the car-park out back.

The owner, a well-known lad to many, would regular threaten to kill me and the gym instructors if we hadn't had put the weights away in order, cleaned the mirrors well-enough, smiled at the ladies etc.

The problem was that as an impressionable young chap, I thought it was correct to behave in this manner when I moved to a larger organisation... was swiftly shown the door, mind!

Nice place to learn, that. :lol:
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Return to The Snug