A question for TOMOS about midges

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: A question for TOMOS about midges

Postby hammerdivone on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:19 pm

1875Hammer wrote: Makes you constantly smell of piss but keeps the midges away.

You're ginger haired aren't you?
hammerdivone

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 am

1875Hammer wrote:
I suffer badly from them. Don't believe people who say they only live in the West Coast or the Highlands. Anywhere near fresh water or hedges on a still sunny day or warm evening. They get through the thickest layers of clothing. I've tried everything and not even Skin So Soft works 100%. That doesn't repel them, just seems to attract them then drown them in a thick greasy puddle.

The only thing that really works for me is B12 and yeast tablets taken daily from February to November. Makes you constantly smell of piss but keeps the midges away.

I've seen some folk with huge horrible blisters all over their body from midgie bites up here - I only get a few tiny pink dots on my arm - You're correct about Skin So Soft , it does seem to drown them in grease - I have to admit I hadn't heard of B12 vitamins being effective , I can't take them as it increases my arthritis levels
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Mayday on Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:12 pm

There are two different types of 'skin so soft', a pink bottle and a white bottle.
The pink bottle has some sort of extra moisturiser/fragrance in it and does not work as an insect repellent. It smells bloody lovely though.

The White bottle contains citronella oil amongst other things and is an excellent insect repellent. This is the one you want. The pink bottle does not contain these ingredients.

As well as the armed forces repellent of choice it is also widely used by Scottish forestry commission workers.
Mayday

Postby 1875Hammer on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 am

hammerdivone wrote:You're ginger haired aren't you?

There was an auburn tinge to my hair when I had some. :)
1875Hammer

Postby The Collector on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:33 pm

We use Smidge, as recommended by TOMOS, on our regular trips to Skye. Tried Skin so Soft on a trip to Applecross and it didn't work so well. However, having read the above not quite sure if we were sold the nice smelling stuff.

The trick is to make sure you cover all bits of exposed skin and re-apply regularly.
The Collector

Postby Burnley Hammer on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:19 pm

I'm out in the hills and mountains quite frequently, more Wales than Scotland though. Never been bitten once by a midge. Never been bitten by a mosquito abroad either, and never had a tick bite. Some people just seem to be naturally repellent to them, and I don't think scientists have ever quite worked out why.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby ageing hammer on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote:I'm out in the hills and mountains quite frequently, more Wales than Scotland though. Never been bitten once by a midge. Never been bitten by a mosquito abroad either, and never had a tick bite. Some people just seem to be naturally repellent to them, and I don't think scientists have ever quite worked out why.

You are Midge Ure and I claim my five pounds :D
ageing hammer

Postby Rocketron on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Burnley Hammer wrote:I'm out in the hills and mountains quite frequently, more Wales than Scotland though. Never been bitten once by a midge. Never been bitten by a mosquito abroad either, and never had a tick bite. Some people just seem to be naturally repellent to them, and I don't think scientists have ever quite worked out why.

Vodka. :wink:
Rocketron

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:40 pm

If you're out and about on the hills there's usually a bit of a breeze which does help keep midges away - I grew up in Wales and never even saw a midgie - they're a completely different animal up here , mate - even to the ones down South which I saw when attending a car boot sale in Essex - the ones up here will bite you - you won't feel anything from the bite as such but they annoy the hell out of you by getting in your ears and nose and face .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Collector on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 pm

The Collector

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:44 am

The Collector wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WzUlj6eTehA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This.

And that was out in open spaces , try being a gardener here on Skye face down in an untrimmed bush . :)

Hell on earth .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby ageing hammer on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:18 pm

[/quote]
The Old Man of Storr wrote:

And that was out in open spaces , try being a gardener here on Skye face down in an untrimmed bush . :)

Hell on earth .

To be fair after quite a few beers a lot of blokes have been there Peter. Image
ageing hammer

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:05 pm

I'll just run round the goalkeeper and pass it back to you for a tap in , Eamonn . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 am

I can confirm that the midges in Northumberland [ Harbottle ] are almost , if not as bad as the ones on Skye .
There were none at the coast but our holiday house was around 30 miles inland .
Whoever said they were moving about Britain was right !
The Old Man of Storr

Postby alkali on Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:24 pm

Well just got back with my can of Smidge and my net hat. Never used them, never got bitten. Beautiful beaches, food and people.
alkali

Postby Lee_WHU on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 am

I, at least, appreciated your post PF :D
Lee_WHU

Previous

Return to The Snug