A question for TOMOS about midges

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

A question for TOMOS about midges

Postby alkali on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:09 am

Hello TOMOS, I'm going to Morar for a few days in September. Is it likely to be very midgey then?
And (anyone else as well) got any good suggestions for repellents etc?

Here in Greece I use anything with IR3535 in it and it's effective, otherwise I get bitten to buggary...
alkali

Re: A question for TOMOS about midges

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:13 am

Good Morning -

Funnily enough I was in Morar last Tuesday and around a month ago , before the school holidays started in Scotland , both days were warm , especially last Tuesday [ 18th July ] when it was very hot by our standards , on both days there wasn't a midgie in sight so on both occasions we enjoyed a great day out at the beach [ Camusdarach where Local Hero was filmed ] .

The midgie season starts at the end of May and goes on until past September I'm afraid - you won't see or feel any in October onwards .

There are two anti-midge sprays / creams that I would recommend , they both work but be careful not to get them in your eyes [ all three of them ] .
' Smidge ' is what we now use - it's a spray and you don't need much of it , the other is an Avon product called ' Skin So Soft ' which started off as a ladies' skin softening cream but is now used by the Royal Marines as a midge repellant - both work well , do not bother with anything else as they're a waste of time .

Days and times when midgies are at their worst - after it's been raining followed by a weak sun , still days when the wind isn't blowing much [ you'll be fine on Morar beach with a good sea breeze ] and evening time [ unless it's very windy ] .

Anything else I can help you with don't hesitate to ask .

Enjoy your holiday - Morar is lovely and Mallaig is a friendly port where you can catch the Ferry over to Skye [ get in touch and I'll buy you a pint ] , if you're coming by car then visit Arisaig , it's a very pretty village with a single track road leading to a beautiful peninsula [ Rubh ] - great walking .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby alkali on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply TOMOS...I last visited Camusdarach in 1977 and I'm hoping you can still pick wild raspberries! That of course was before the new road from Fort William. Looking forward to it all and thanks for the info..definitely try the Smidge.

I also reckon I met Bill Forsyth working behind the bar of the Morar Hotel, saving up to get money to make films!
alkali

Postby PF. on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Mordor (from Sindarin Black Land and Quenya Land of Shadow) was the region occupied and controlled by Sauron, in the southeast of northwestern Middle-earth to the East of Anduin, the great river.

Mordor has three enormous mountain ranges surrounding it, from the north, from the west and from the south. The mountains both protected the land from an unexpected invasion by any of the people living in those directions and kept those living in Mordor from escaping

Three sides of Mordor were bounded by mountain ranges, arranged in a rough rectangle: the Ered Lithui (translated as 'Ash Mountains') on the north, and the Ephel Dúath (literally, "Fence of Shadow") on the west and the south. In the northwest the pass of Cirith Gorgor led into the enclosed plain of Udûn. Sauron built the Black Gate of Mordor (the Morannon) across the pass, joining the Towers of the Teeth, two earlier guard towers built by Gondor to keep a watch on this entrance. The passage through the inner side of Udûn into the interior of Mordor was guarded by another gate, the Isenmouthe. Outside the Morannon lay the Dagorlad or Battle Plain.

In the interior within this mountainous border lay Sauron's main fortress Barad-dûr, the arid plateau of Gorgoroth, and Mount Doom. To the east lay the plain of Lithlad. A narrow pass led through the Ephel Dúath, guarded by Minas Morgul (earlier Minas Ithil). A higher, more difficult pass, Cirith Ungol, just to the north, was guarded by a tower originally built by Gondor. This pass, "the pass of the spider", was also blockaded by Torech Ungol, the lair of the giant spider Shelob. The fortress Durthang lay in the northern Ephel Dúath above Udûn.

Núrn, the southern part of Mordor, was less arid and more fertile. Streams here fed the salt Sea of Núrnen. Sauron's slaves farmed this region to support his armies.

Inside the Ephel Dúath ran a lower parallel ridge, the Morgai, separated from the Ephel Dúath by a narrow valley that Frodo and Sam followed northward after escaping from Cirith Ungol. Water trickled into this vale from the Ephel Dúath, and the text describes it as a "dying land not yet dead". The vegetation included "low scrubby trees", "coarse grey grass-tussocks", "withered mosses", "great writhing, tangled brambles", and thickets of briars with long, stabbing thorns. The fauna included maggots, midges, and flies marked with "a red eye-shaped blotch".
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby RichieRiv on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:54 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Avon product called ' Skin So Soft ' which started off as a ladies' skin softening cream but is now used by the Royal Marines as a midge repellant - both work well , do not bother with anything else as they're a waste of time

Have used this stuff and have to say it does tend to work. You just have to make sure you put it everywhere.
RichieRiv

Postby yonni on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Most camping shops and some local shops will probably stock skin so soft. I was up near Applecross one September and nothing worked. My head was in a constant cloud of midges but that was on a campsite with boggy land and trees etc. Basically midge heaven. If it's damp and warm it can be bad but if it's a bit breezy or fairly open you can be fine.
yonni

Postby alkali on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:19 pm

The stuff we get here in Greece is called Apaisyl and contains IR3535, works as well as DEET but non toxic to humans. Weird that I can't find it on Amazon uk...?

Thanks for the help all and please send more drugs PF :thup:

I went fishing on Loch Morar once and had to chain-smoke Old Holborn for three hours to keep the bastards away.
alkali

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:04 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
Have used this stuff and have to say it does tend to work. You just have to make sure you put it everywhere.

Interesting. The wife and I tried this stuff (Skin so soft) the other night in rural west france because she is breastfeeding and thus it is 'allowed'

Stupidly we left the shutters/ window open by accident and got absolutely bitten alive. Face, back, arms, ankles. You name it. Huge lumps. Probabky thr worst I have ever had in one night.

Maybe we hadn't applied it properly but found it completelt and utterly useless on this occasion
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Bitter 'n' Twisted on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:49 pm

This thread disgusts me. I have met a few midgets in my life and found them all to be very pleasant. I don't know what the problem is?
Bitter 'n' Twisted

Postby alkali on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:21 pm

You just wait till they get in your ears. worse than Gibraltar apes
alkali

Postby RichieRiv on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Interesting. The wife and I tried this stuff (Skin so soft) the other night in rural west france because she is breastfeeding and thus it is 'allowed'

Stupidly we left the shutters/ window open by accident and got absolutely bitten alive. Face, back, arms, ankles. You name it. Huge lumps. Probabky thr worst I have ever had in one night.

Maybe we hadn't applied it properly but found it completelt and utterly useless on this occasion

I find DEET is more effective as even if you miss parts the mossies tend to steer clear. But the Avon stuff seemed to work in Borneo but not in Thailand where I got bitten to buggery.

Weirdly they seem to like me as I've got older. I've even tried eating copious amounts of Marmite but that didn't work.
RichieRiv

Postby Etonhammer on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:47 pm

I can only add that the best anti bite spray I have come across is an Australian product called 'RID'.

Comes in a red spray can and works well on me....and I get bit by everything.
Etonhammer

Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter

Postby hammerdivone on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm glad it's not just me the little bastards target. Anywhere we go they seem to find me although using that Avon stuff does help, as does taking a daily tablet of high dose vitamin B complex.

After that it is high level deet spray
hammerdivone

Postby kayahammer on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 am

Forget about potions and the like.

This is all you'll ever need.

kayahammer

Postby vietnammer on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:11 am

alkali wrote:You just wait till they get in your ears. worse than Gibraltar apes

A Gibraltar Ape in your ear sounds pretty nasty
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby alkali on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:37 am

I know someone who was earshagged by one :shock:
alkali

Postby alkali on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:38 am

kayahammer wrote:Forget about potions and the like.

This is all you'll ever need.

Never crossed my mind to wear my transgender gear.....good idea!
alkali

Postby ageing hammer on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:41 am

He's going to Scotland, just hide the midges survival suits and they will all die off :wink:
ageing hammer

Postby 1875Hammer on Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:38 pm

hammerdivone wrote:I'm glad it's not just me the little bastards target. Anywhere we go they seem to find me although using that Avon stuff does help, as does taking a daily tablet of high dose vitamin B complex.

After that it is high level deet spray

I suffer badly from them. Don't believe people who say they only live in the West Coast or the Highlands. Anywhere near fresh water or hedges on a still sunny day or warm evening. They get through the thickest layers of clothing. I've tried everything and not even Skin So Soft works 100%. That doesn't repel them, just seems to attract them then drown them in a thick greasy puddle.

The only thing that really works for me is B12 and yeast tablets taken daily from February to November. Makes you constantly smell of piss but keeps the midges away.
1875Hammer

Next

Return to The Snug