Buying a suit

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Buying a suit

Postby Ben on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:31 pm

I don't really wear smart clothes that often but have a couple of weddings coming up so should really get a suit, thinking black/dark blue.
Ideally I would scope for a bargain decent one on ebay but have no idea what size to order..i am 34w and wear a medium t shirt but have a bit of a belly on me, how do I measure myself for one?
I'd prefer a fitted look if possible, any tips?
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Re: Buying a suit

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:46 pm

go and get yourself measured for one then get one online.
Mega Ron

Postby Ben on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:56 pm

I did wonder about this. is there a service for getting measured or do I go in pretending I will buy their suit then scarper?
Ben

Postby fmgod on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Marks and Spencer?
fmgod

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Don't wear a black suit for a wedding mate.

Make it a nice blue suit, or grey suit if you want it to be a little more flexible.
I personally far, far prefer a nice black shoe for formal events - a laced black Oxford shoe, preferably.

If you do have a bit of a belly, then you could suffer with the waist of your trousers actually sitting lower down your hips and making the trousers look ill-fitting and baggy, so don't be afraid to wear a nice pair of braces.

You should have about a 1 inch break on the leg, a slim leg, but not skinny and you should not feel constricted when you sit.

Your shirt shouldn't be too small (as is the trend nowadays), nor like a tent. If you're neck is a bit bigger, then you may have luck getting a slightly bigger neck size, but in a slim or even skinny fit - trial and error.

Jacket, you should know when you put it on that it feels right. If you're stretching a bit or feel awkward getting your second arm in, you know it'll be too small.
You don't want the tips of the shoulders to go farther out than the width of your shoulder.
When it's buttoned up (top button only, never both) you shouldn't see your shirt or bottom of tie in the space where the bottom button would fasten. If you do, it's likely pulling too much round the waist and is too small.
Length wise, you should be able to relax your arms and just cuff the bottom of the jacket in the inside of your knuckles with your arms at their side.
The jacket arm should end in roughly between that nobbly bit on the outside of your arm and your wrist -
in that little recess.
About half an inch of cuff showing at the bottom of the sleeve, as your shirt cuff will sit slightly longer than your jacket sleeve will.
This may show more if you have double cuffs as these are more open and can sometimes encroach down further down your hand.

Do not let any shop person tell you that you look great. You make a decision and get a second opinion from your missus.

You want to feel good yourself, not second guess whether anyone else thinks you look good by letting someone else tell you against your own will/feel.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby WHU_Del on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:22 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:When it's buttoned up (top button only, never both)

Unless it's a three-button suit, in which case the rule is:
Top button - sometimes.
Middle button - always.
Bottom button - never.

In addition to this, if it's a three-piece suit with a waistcoat, then the bottom button of the waistcoat is never fastened either.
Last edited by WHU_Del on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:26 pm

:thup:

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Oh, and don't be scared off if it's a cheap suit in monetary terms. Just make sure it doesn't look cheap.

People will recommend you spend £x amount, but if you're on a budget then it isn't always possible.

Unless you're getting tailored and fitted, then body sizes are all over the shop from style to style, price to price, shop to shop.
A £400 suit from designer A in shop A will not necessarily fit better for YOU than an £80 suit from designer B in shop C

It's likely it will generally be a better fit for most and will be of a higher quality, but everyone is different... and if you're only wearing it once or twice a year, then a) the durability of it comes less into the equation and b) your body shape may change over that time which means you'll need a new one anyway.

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Get something that's timelessly stylish. Extremely tight with slightly too-short trousers, boxy and baggy with big shoulders or even flared with enormous collars are all styles that will never go out of fashion.
DasNutNock

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:59 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Don't wear a black suit for a wedding mate.

Make it a nice blue suit, or grey suit if you want it to be a little more flexible.
I personally far, far prefer a nice black shoe for formal events - a laced black Oxford shoe, preferably.

And if going for a pair of Oxford, learn how to lace them properly, nothing worse than a nice pair of Oxford with criss cross lacing
FreeWheeling

Postby Ben on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Thanks all, rars sorry for not just texting you from the off xx
Ben

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:32 pm

I'll live mate Image

Postby Hammer1972 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:45 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
Your shirt shouldn't be too small (as is the trend nowadays), nor like a tent. If you're neck is a bit bigger, then you may have luck getting a slightly bigger neck size, but in a slim or even skinny fit - trial and error.

TM Lewyn does a wide range of shirts where you can have a large neck, with a slim fitting body (or vice-versa) - this is an issue I have.
Hammer1972

Postby Ben on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:48 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:TM Lewyn does a wide range of shirts where you can have a large neck, with a slim fitting body (or vice-versa) - this is an issue I have.

I thought you were a girl or is that 1975?
Ben

Postby Clucking Bell on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Decent off-the-peg suits are designed to be tailored. You get one that fits reasonably well and then have the tailor finish it off.

While there are some brands that are ridiculously overpriced e.g. Brioni, the cost of a suit is mostly dependent on the fabric. Loro Piana or Super 140's/150's are a nice balance between smoothness and durability. Suits made from these fabrics are generally well cut to begin with as they're expensive enough that the makers don't let the work experience kid with the bacon slicer anywhere near them.

Colour-wise, stick with dark blue or dark grey.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby warp on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:22 pm

i use this for weddings:

:thup:
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Hammer1972 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:27 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:TM Lewyn does a wide range of shirts where you can have a large neck, with a slim fitting body (or vice-versa) - this is an issue I have.

Ben wrote:I thought you were a girl or is that 1975?

I have a slim body, but massive tits.

No I'm not a bloody girl! Bosses, how do I get a name change please? :D
Hammer1972

Postby bondsbootlaces on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Give Moss Bros a try. You can get mix and match jacket and trousers. What I mean by that is the same suit but you don't get, for example, the standard and expected jacket size of a 34" trousers which depending on your body size could be massively out of proportion.

They do a good range of own brand suits (if you think you'll be wearing your whistle a lot you can get an extra pair of strides as well because that's what'll go)
bondsbootlaces

Postby sendô on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:03 pm

I love wearing the full whistle to weddings.

One of my pet hates is people that go to weddings looking scruffy - untucked shirt, no tie, crap shoes and so on.

There's no better feeling that striding along wearing a new suit, shirt, tie and shoes that fits properly. It looks the nuts, and frankly the modern trend for dressing down to dress up is a bit ****.
sendô

Postby jevs on Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:54 pm

fmgod wrote:Marks and Spencer?

This. Haven't worn a suit for 20 years and now have plenty of added timber. Went to M&S and they had a nice dark blue one on the self that fitted, got a separate white shirt, tie and shoes and was sorted. Think i got change out of 200 sheets. My knuckles were white as i handed over the cash....i don't spend £200 on a car, let alone something i'm going to wear once every 5 years.
jevs

Next

Return to The Snug