Buying a suit

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Buying a suit

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:08 pm

Personally never wear a suit for such occasions. Always mix and match trousers with a jacket. Find you can get much more interesting jackets stand alone than part of a suit
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby sendô on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:10 pm

Also I agree on the whole no black suits, especially for weddings. Blue and grey far more versatile.
sendô

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:17 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Personally never wear a suit for such occasions.

Me neither. Got a wedding in Italy this weekend. Black HD shirt, black Levis chinos and boots. Sorted. I ain't out to impress anybody.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby FreeWheeling on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:24 pm

was dining in Sicily last year and there was a wedding party, the trend there was around a thousand pound suit, few hundred on some nice footware and no socks
FreeWheeling

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:34 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Personally never wear a suit for such occasions. Always mix and match trousers with a jacket. Find you can get much more interesting jackets stand alone than part of a suit

Yeah.
I have a nice dark blue pair of trousers, light blue shirt and darker blue tie and a completely different jacket picked out for a wedding next month.
Neutral black shoes with the blues allows the contrast.

Summer wedding, the jacket will be off in no time, it's essentially for turning up in!
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby RichieRiv on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:59 am

What's the budget?
RichieRiv

Postby Hugh Jargon II on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:03 am

Golders green . Or Freeport Braintree ( jaeguers)
Hugh Jargon II

Postby Monkeybubbles on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:58 am

I look great. Just so you know.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Monkeybubbles on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:07 am

My lad's girlfriend's mum got remarried a couple of weeks ago. She's from Bulgaria, and some of her family came over from some fairly rural part of the country. One of them wore a gold lamé suit, with a gold band around his ponytail. And they say you can't buy class.
Monkeybubbles

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:27 am

FreeWheeling wrote:was dining in Sicily last year and there was a wedding party, the trend there was around a thousand pound suit, few hundred on some nice footware and no socks

:D

I think I'm about to buck the trend over there!
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Monkeybubbles on Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:51 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
:D

I think I'm about to buck the trend over there!

"You come to me on the day of my daughters wedding.......what have I done to deserve such disrespect?"
Monkeybubbles

Postby Wembley1966 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 am

WHU_Del wrote:Unless it's a three-button suit, in which case the rule is:
Top button - sometimes.
Middle button - always.
Bottom button - never.

In addition to this, if it's a three-piece suit with a waistcoat, then the bottom button of the waistcoat is never fastened either.

I've got a 4-button suit that I got from the Versace outlet shop in Bicester many many years ago. When will it be fashionable to wear it?
Wembley1966

Postby warp on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:00 pm

sendô wrote:I love wearing the full whistle to weddings.

One of my pet hates is people that go to weddings looking scruffy - untucked shirt, no tie, crap shoes and so on.

well i can't look better than the bride, can i?!?
if they invite me to their wedding, they know what to expect. best effort is the tuxedo-t-shirt or one of my favourite gig t-shirts. and shorts if it's hot!

sendô wrote:There's no better feeling that striding along wearing a new suit, shirt, tie and shoes that fits properly.

i find shirts very uncomfortable things to wear, but fair enough. looks the nuts though? looks nuts more like!

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Me neither. Got a wedding in Italy this weekend. Black HD shirt, black Levis chinos and boots. Sorted. I ain't out to impress anybody.

nah, they'll tell you that you want to reverse-impress etc etc...
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby sandbanks on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:34 pm

As a bespoke tailor in E1 I'll chuck my hat into the ring.

I'll second that suggestion for M&S because of the ability to buy coats and trousers separately, and they have a number of different 'fits'. I have a number of friends who only need a whistle for a special occasion so aren't going to invest in bespoke. I'll go with them, select a suit and then tailor it for them accordingly.

If you want someone to measure you the days of going into Austin Reed etc to get measured for a suit to be made elsewhere are over, Head Offices have put a stop to that years ago. It's a service I offer and charge for, but in the main that's for Aussie guys in the City who have a mate getting married who is paying for their suits to be made in China.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.
sandbanks

Postby Estuary on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 pm

I have plenty of suits, all price ranges, but you'll do well to better M&S for choice and value.
In the bigger stores (Bluewater/Lakeside) they have experienced outfitters who will measure you and advise on cut and style, you can mix and match trouser and jacket sizes there to as people are not uniformly medium in the top half and the bottom.
I bought two everyday work suits there last summer for under £150.00, and unless you know what you are looking for you wouldn't be able to tell them from a Boss, they both have great sixties style cuts.

Also, what stamp of a man are you? Some tailoring is more suited to certain types of shape, Boss/Hackett etc will work with a bigger frame for example.
Estuary

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:59 am

Was getting measured for a suit for my step sons wedding two years ago
matey measured my chest at which point I said you will need to go up a size as my shoulders seem to be abnormally wide, he took no notice and sure enough the jacket he came out with would not go over my arms, red faced he had to **** off and get the larger size
FreeWheeling

Postby Ben on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:02 pm

Cheers all, some great advice.
Someone suggested paul smith outlet in Bicester as they let you mix and match the trousers and jackets.
May look there and m&s then!
:thup:
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby RichieRiv on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:56 pm

sandbanks wrote:As a bespoke tailor in E1 I'll chuck my hat into the ring.

I'll second that suggestion for M&S because of the ability to buy coats and trousers separately, and they have a number of different 'fits'. I have a number of friends who only need a whistle for a special occasion so aren't going to invest in bespoke. I'll go with them, select a suit and then tailor it for them accordingly.

If you want someone to measure you the days of going into Austin Reed etc to get measured for a suit to be made elsewhere are over, Head Offices have put a stop to that years ago. It's a service I offer and charge for, but in the main that's for Aussie guys in the City who have a mate getting married who is paying for their suits to be made in China.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Can I be cheeky and ask how much you charge? ( say for a super 100)
RichieRiv

Postby The Collector on Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:15 pm

Worked in a suit since I was 17. Obviously not the same suit. However, being 6"4 when I started, every suit I wore was too short or too baggy. When I got enough money together I walked into Burton's tailor in Woolwich and got my first made to measure suit and never looked back..... until I got married and somehow ran out of cash!

Nowadays I get suits off the peg fromTyrwhitt. Got measured at one of their branches and they hold the measurements. I usually order online now but the measuring is the crucial bit.

As above, take someone with you who you can rely on to give an honest view on style/fashion. If you don't have a gay friend, ask your wife.
The Collector

Postby sandbanks on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:20 pm

RitchieRev, pm sent.
sandbanks

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug