Where Would You Like to Live in the UK

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Where Would You Like to Live in the UK

Postby Trifecta on Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:30 pm

chigwells finest wrote:canford cliffs dorset

Not with a budget of a million you ain't mate.

Canford Heath maybe 8-)
Trifecta
Tip top tipster

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 pm

'stone hammer wrote:Which part of Maidstone was it? The area I grew up in came under Penenden Heath (which is pretty nice), just the not so nice bit.

Drunk in Bearsted? You mean they have alcohol there like us common folk?

Mangravet Estate (the posh bit in my defence).

Yeah, Bearsted wasn't intentional. It'd be a cold day in hell when I'd drink in a pub there. I definitely wouldn't fit in with the snobs there.
I'd been to a gig in London and missed my stop on the train.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby vmixture on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 pm

As far away from the general public as possible. This'll do

vmixture

Postby WHU_Del on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Mangravet Estate (the posh bit in my defence).

Not even the worst bit of Maidstone! Although I'll admit it's not far off :wink:
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:58 pm

I think Tovil takes the crown for that title. It has to be said though, everyone looks out for each other on this estate. Many a time I've been humbled by how some people will go out of their way to help you (if you're local).
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby pablo jaye on Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:13 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Southwold or Brixham

On my hols at the moment just down the coast from Southwold in Aldeburgh .... lovely part of the world. The coast is wonderful.
pablo jaye

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Trifecta wrote:canford cliffs dorset

Not with a budget of a million you ain't mate.

Canford Heath maybe

:lol: Yep, that's about right. Live in Hamworthy, which has a reputation (mainly unfair) of being one of the slightly scruffier parts of Poole, but even here there are some beautiful waterfront locations; one or 2 overlooking the harbour islands, Hamworthy Park and the Purbeck Hills, for well under a million - and for a house that comparatively in Canford Cliffs or Sandbanks would be several million. Also too many snobs in Canford Cliffs...actually nicer and better VFM half a mile inland around Branksome Park.

I'm totally settled in Dorset, used to have a bit of a yearning to move back to London when younger but I visit a lot for football/family/friends and wouldn't move back now at all...I enjoy coming back to visit though.

Am looking to move along the coast a few miles soonish to Southbourne, on the eastern part of Bournemouth; again you can get good (comparative) VFM with seaviews in a lovely part of the world.

I can't imagine living away from the sea now, and I feel very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world as the Dorset coast. Wouldn't mind a nicer pile out in the Purbecks (Kingston, Worth Matravars way etc) though if I had more money!
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Postby pablo jaye on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:07 pm

WHBTS - that part of Dorset is great ... The Square and Compass pub in Worth Matravers is excellent, great beer and rolls.
pablo jaye

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:42 pm

pablo jaye wrote:WHBTS - that part of Dorset is great ... The Square and Compass pub in Worth Matravers is excellent, great beer and rolls.

Brilliant pub that one, really popular with the ramblers yet never waiting long in a queue at the bar no matter how busy it is...old smugglers place from hundreds of years ago. Pint and a pasty for 3 quid...local brewery too. And there's the 'Dinosaur Museum' annexe... basically a little extension full of all the stuff the landlord collects beach-combing; ranges from a full Icthyosaur fossilised skeleton to all the stuff he got from when that big freighter sank off Lyme Bay...includes a massive glass filled with the whole country's shipment of Kinder Egg toys. 8-)
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Postby Trifecta on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:59 pm

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Am looking to move along the coast a few miles soonish to Southbourne, on the eastern part of Bournemouth; again you can get good (comparative) VFM with seaviews in a lovely part of the world.

Which is where I live mate.

Flat with a sea view, Purbecks to the right and the Isle of Wight to the left (but you have to stand in the corner of the lounge on tippy toes to see it) and it cost me under £150,000 ten years ago, the house has made far more money than I have in the last decade, wages down here are appalling.
Trifecta
Tip top tipster

Postby 'Appy 'Ammer on Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Tenbury wrote:Simple really, everywhere and nowhere.

In 3yrs and 2 months when I get a state pension, I'm going to buy £5grands worth of old motorhome and visit all these lovely places and quite a few others besides.I've already given the house to the kids'mother, and they'll be old enough to do their own thing, so I'm off for a life on the road.

'Appy 'Ammer

Postby mumbles87 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:13 pm

I am proper boring... I like where I live now

lived in 3 houses throughout my life.. one in romford until I was 9, one in hornchurch until I was 27 and now in elm park with the wife and kid.. I actually love living here and cant see myself moving anywhere

like the short walk to the station (not that I use the train much) the short drive to anything we want to do

doctors across the road easy to get appointments.. dentist short walk away..

the simple things in life :lol:
mumbles87

Postby RichieRiv on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:21 pm

EastBrisHammer wrote:I've had plenty of friends who grew up in seaside places and it's not all it is cracked up to be. Lots of bored teenagers and loads of locals not tolerant of outsiders. That said I would happily move to Poole or Brighton tomorrow if I didn't have to work.

Doesn't have to be the seaside. There are bored teenagers everywhere. As for intolerant locals, you have to have lived where I do for 20 years before they consider you a "local". I am 35 minutes on train from Central London!
RichieRiv

Postby view from the shires on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:07 pm

'stone hammer wrote:My choice - Anywhere except the West Midlands. Somewhere like Warwick or Leamington, or Canterbury for the southern option

Aren't both Warwick & Leamington in the West Midlands?
view from the shires

Postby cockney farmer on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:07 pm

The clues in The title like Warwick in Warwickshire :lol:
cockney farmer

Postby Rocketron on Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 pm

cockney farmer wrote:The clues in The title like Warwick in Warwickshire :lol:

You can't get much further West before you're in Wales.
Rocketron

Postby delbert on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:23 pm

I quite like Hullbridge. Saying that, I'm currently residing in Barking so anywhere that hasn't been Labourfied will be a bonus......
delbert

Postby PF. on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:39 am

Hopefully, we wont have to come back again, but after spending a year on Victoria Docks in a beautiful apartment a couple of years ago, I wouldn't wish to go back there. Great place to live, but not for the kids.

Maybe Reigate way, near a woods for the dogs I'd need to buy (or to bury the wife).

Have lots of cottages saved in my rightmove account up in the Lakes as a reminder to one of my financial goals, essentially buying one outright,
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby EugeneSpeed on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:26 pm

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I think Tovil takes the crown for that title.

Yeah, Tovil is a dump. Bleakest place I've ever lived.

If I was to move back to Maidstone with £1,000,000 I'd buy two of those detached townhouses on Bower Place.
EugeneSpeed

Postby EugeneSpeed on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:31 pm

With a £1,000,000 I'd probably stay where I am in South Wimbledon. Maybe get a place with a bigger garden and another room.
EugeneSpeed

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug