Where Would You Like to Live in the UK

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Where Would You Like to Live in the UK

Postby Etonhammer on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Was back in Windsor / Eton on Wednesday after not visiting there for some time.

Has changed a bit since I lived in Eton (8 years ago now) but still a nice place to live.

Can be ridiculously expensive property wise and there are far more beggars than there used to be. Walking along the main road next to the Castle it was like doing the bum hurdle in places.

If you like the busy buzz of a touristy place with nice quiet areas / pubs for locals its still nice and you can still get the boat up the Thames to the racecourse for those sunny summer evenings (sometimes !)
Etonhammer

Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Just arrived in Northumberland - we're staying at a lovely cottage in Harbottle around 20 miles from Alnwick - it's a big old house and turns out it's for sale [ offers over £300,000 ] - Woodbine Cottage .
Wouldn't mind living somewhere around Alnwick , would have to be at the coast though, Bamburgh or Alnmouth or Craster .

Another area I like is Woolacombe , Bideford , Westward Ho way , not sure what it would be like in winter though .

I need a lottery win as I'd like a flat along the Thames , a country pile up in Scotland , a detached house in Cornwall and similar in Northumberland not forgetting somewhere in Snowdonia or a remote coastal property on Anglesey [ if one could still be found ] .
Then I'd take it in turns to visit all of them .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby pablo jaye on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:13 pm

Tomos - nice part of the world. I'd recommend Dunstanburgh Castle and as I know you like your books, a visit to Barter Books in Alnwick is a must!!!
pablo jaye

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:42 am

pablo jaye wrote:Tomos - nice part of the world. I'd recommend Dunstanburgh Castle and as I know you like your books, a visit to Barter Books in Alnwick is a must!!!

This will be our 4th [ maybe 5th ] visit to Northumberland [ an easy drive from Inverness ] - first time we came we stayed at Embleton - a short walk took us to a beach from which you could see Dunstanburgh Castle in the distance [ seen in many a photograph along with Bamburgh Castle ] - we had originally booked a 3 bedroom flat in Bamburgh but turned out it had been double booked so we got a 4 bedroomed cottage in Harbottle at £150 cheaper - lovely herb garden - pub a short walk away along with Harbottle Castle [ will walk there soon ] - there are 5 of us , the girls want to go shopping in Gateshead , Dan wants a swimming pool with flumes , Jen wants to visit Kielder Forest and I'm just there to agree with everyone !
Lovely morning , very quiet village , not a peep - I've visited Barter Books each time we've been here - they want to visit Alnwick Castle [ again ] tomorrow , I'll pop into Barter Books and wait for them there , I'm only interested in free castles . :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:00 pm

mumbles87 wrote:I am proper boring... I like where I live now

Snap. We live in a village near Dartford/ Gravesend. Everyone knows everyone - I didn't think places like that still existed in the south east. You walk to the shops and have three chats before you get to them. It's nice. Most of my work is in London so it's ideal. Station five minutes away.

When I retire though ideally very West Cornwall - Zennor or Treen to me are perfect - both could do with a shop though. Each has a great pub. fantastic walks. Maybe Machynlleth in Mid-Wales - it's where many of my family come from. I love it there and have a house there that was left to my brother and me. It was ramshackle and tumbledown when we got it but it's nice now. Much as I love it down there I just can't see myself living there November through to February - Welsh winters are dreary and miserable beyond belief - sorry Tomos :wink:

Like others on here I like Purbeck too. My wife nd I are staying there next month. Great, compact place for walking, eating out, etc. And as already said the Square and Compass is a fantastic, atmospheric but above all relaxing pub - will be walking there for a pint and a pasty. And it's all by/ close to the see - that pretty much is a pre-requisite for me. We really do live on a very beautiful set of islands.
DaveWHU1964

Postby hammer etc on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:44 pm

I spent the afternoon in Salisbury recently. Could quite happily see out the rest my days in that area.
hammer etc

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:59 pm

^^^ It's on my list :wink:
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:22 am

I don't think I could live far away from my children.

They had best not even think of moving abroad when they grow up.
Mega Ron

Postby Tenbury on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:00 am

Mega Ron wrote:I don't think I could live far away from my children.

I can only dream of it.
Tenbury

Postby view from the shires on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 pm

cockney farmer wrote:The clues in The title like Warwick in Warwickshire :

Warwickshire is a county - the clue is in the name. 8-)

I live in Wiltshire but it is part of the West Country, and the West Midlands was similarly a region not a county when I went to school.

Back then Warwickshire was in the West Midlands, but it is entirely possible that it no longer is due to re-classification.
view from the shires

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:49 pm

Is south west France in the UK?
DasNutNock

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:54 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Is south west France in the UK?

Quite a lot of it has higher proportions of people born in the UK than most of the south east of England.
Mega Ron

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:17 pm

I bloody love South West France, me.
DasNutNock

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:35 pm

DasNutNock wrote:I bloody love South West France, me.

Lovely isn't it.

We were going to move to Carcassonne a few years back but life got in the way.
Mega Ron

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Mega Ron wrote:

A friend of mine has a TV generator company based near Cambridge. He lives in Carcassonne and buys a load of Easyjet tickets at the start of each year's 'sporting season'. They're cheap enough not to worry if he doesn't do the gig. He rides his moped to the airport, leaves it in a hedge, flies to Blighty, does the job, flies back, retrieves said moped from its hedge and rides home to a beautiful part of the world.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby -DL- on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 pm

DaveWHU1964 wrote:Snap. We live in a village near Dartford/ Gravesend.

Higham?
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Mega Ron wrote:Lovely isn't it.

Possibly the closest to paradise that I've found on this planet. My inlaws have a place near Cognac and they're retiring there in the next year or so. We're all going over next week for a jaunt and to do a little work on their house. I've been tasked with finding, and operating, the BBQ. A tough job, but one I'm prepared to do. Selfless like that, me.

Once they've moved there, the logistics of relocation become a bit more feasible. I can only hope...
DasNutNock

Postby WHU_Del on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:43 pm

DaveWHU1964 wrote:Snap. We live in a village near Dartford/ Gravesend.

-DL- wrote:Higham?

I was going to plump for Green Street Green or Hartley.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:59 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Possibly the closest to paradise that I've found on this planet. My inlaws have a place near Cognac.

You lucky bugger. That's a beautiful part of the world, especially in summer. It's amazing. If they brewed decent beer over there I'd say it's one of the best places to live in the world.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby DasNutNock on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Agreed, the beer is an issue. Perhaps I can move there and become a billionaire ale brewer, whilst availing myself of the local tipples? Their back garden is the Martell vineyards.

Seriously, why the f*ck are we all still living here? Lets all move there before Brexit kicks in and start up our own WHU franchise. Within 5 years we'll be watching West Ham AFC take on Monaco, Bordeaux and Marseille. And, presumably, still finishing well outside the top 7.
DasNutNock

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug