Shadwell

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Shadwell

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:59 am

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a new place in Shadwell and hoping to move in before September.

I've heard some decent reviews of the area and realise it's not the place it used to be. Very gentrified and good for city links.

I've had a look at a couple of flats with spectacular views of the city of London, but am unaware of the area's local amenities such as decent pubs and places to eat.

Any further information you guys can provide? I can walk to my office in Old St from here so no tube every morning and evening - big plus!
LincolnshireHammer

Re: Shadwell

Postby DasNutNock on Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:23 am

DasNutNock

Postby djclipz on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:41 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:
I've heard some decent reviews of the area

I'd like to see them?

A mate of mine lived literally a 20 second walk from the DLR and overground, so from that respect living there was no problem... But from the immediate location pubs were a no no. You were better off going nearer Aldgate for all that!
djclipz

Postby claretandblue82 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:45 pm

Thought it said Shagwell. And yes I do! 8-)
claretandblue82

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:11 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a new place in Shadwell and hoping to move in before September.

I've heard some decent reviews of the area and realise it's not the place it used to be. Very gentrified and good for city links.

I've had a look at a couple of flats with spectacular views of the city of London, but am unaware of the area's local amenities such as decent pubs and places to eat.

Any further information you guys can provide? I can walk to my office in Old St from here so no tube every morning and evening - big plus!

You've got the Castle at one end of Commercial Rd and The George Tavern at the other. Both good pubs. I wouldn't go near any of the ones in between though!
Cockneyboy311

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:32 pm

To be honest, will spend more time drinking in the city, brick lane area so not a massive concern due to the close proximity of these areas! What's the crime rate like?
LincolnshireHammer

Postby woodgreenspur on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:47 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:

You've got the Castle at one end of Commercial Rd and The George Tavern at the other. Both good pubs. I wouldn't go near any of the ones in between though!

f**k that for a walk if you fancy changing pubs
woodgreenspur

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 pm

Its absolutely brilliant for city links, no doubt. Aldgate is a slow 15 minute walk away, after all.

But 'very gentrified'? I'm surprised to hear it described like that.

Obviously, it is now an area very heavily populated by those who have no use of pubs, in reality, so large numbers have closed down.

I'd personally swerve

1. The Dean Swift
2. The Hungerford Arms, and
3. The Thomas Neale (in the pedestrian bit of Watney Market), not because they're particularly lively, but, if I am honest, the beer in these places is nothing special at all.

The George Inn has history and a decent range of beers, but it aint cheap.

A bit further down the road, on Limehouse Basin, you'll find nicer premises, but, again, E1 is perhaps not a beer suppers paradise.

Of all the boozers I might top up in, after work, on Commercial Road, my favourite is the microscopic Still and Star, tucked away around the side of Aldgate bus garage.

But my personal favourite boozer, in E1, which, last time I was in, still has a coin-op pool table, is The Dog and Truck, down Back Church Lane.

Oh, and if you're feeling all cultural, like, there's two Hawksmoor Churches on the manor. One off the High Road, in Wapping, and a quite beautiful St Dunstan and All Saints of Belgrave St (optional topping up experience at the Little Star around the corner (if its still open...).

Shadwell is what I love about the very few ungentrified areas of London. Very urban, but a scruffy charm, maybe.
prophet:marginal

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:37 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote: What's the crime rate like?

A lot higher than the estate agents will have you believe. Trust me.

Postby southbrishammer on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:06 pm

This is all you need to know about Shadwell and drinking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSjtBkdMM1U
southbrishammer

Postby bubbles1966 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 pm

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Hey guys,

I lived within 5 minutes walk of about half a dozen pubs where people were murdered when I lived round there.

"Gentrified" - is that what Shadwellabad is described as now ?

One born every minute.

The Wapping side of the Highway is the better bit. Shadwell - they're taking the piss.
bubbles1966

Postby delbert on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:37 pm

Not the same since The Rock closed down, I miss Gumbo.........
delbert

Postby WHU Independent on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:51 am

I lived in Limehouse for 25+ years which is next to Shadwell and I visited a lot.

Crime - much worse than publicised: Car crime is the worst in the Borough. Muggings: the Highway and some of the estates off of it, late at night are mugging hotspots. I would seriously warn against walking down the Highway/Cable Street late at night, especially if boozy. Also avoid Watney Market late on.

Boozers - good advice given above re Boozers to avoid. I went in The Thomas Neal about a month ago - it was dreadful. People/staff/beer = horrible. Also avoid the Prospect of Whitby - always been a tourist pub and the beer prices reflect that. The Captain Kidd is ok but I would suggest the Town or Ramsgate - looks tiny, is in fact really massive boozer with nice beer and top staff.

Food - some lovely little places to eat: Gastronomica on Wapping Wall, a homely little Italian Deli/cafe that does Apperitivo nights - pay £10, get a glass or two of wine and eat as much as you like. There's some really new really plush places opened off of Wapping Lane, I've been in them but I won't be back. £20+ for an asparagus salad - no thanks.Obviously there is Il Bordello, a very decent Italian place, which is a bit "cozy" seating wise, but I'd go to Limehouse and get into it's sister restaurant La Figa, which has more space and IMHO better food. Whilst in Limehouse go to the Grapes and if you want late night loud craziness go to Three Colt Street and go to The Urban Bar. If you want to drink an expensive 2/3rds of a pint, go to The Narrow, which is a Ramsay chain. I must say the food there is very decent.

If you need any more info let me know.
WHU Independent

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:02 am

Do the plod still have no go areas in Shadwell?
westham,eggyandchips

Postby djclipz on Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:21 am

prophet:marginal wrote:The Thomas Neale (in the pedestrian bit of Watney Market), not because they're particularly lively, but, if I am honest, the beer in these places is nothing special at all.

It's been well over a year so may have changed but last time i ventured in there.... christ. It weren't just the the beer that was the problem.
djclipz

Postby bubbles1966 on Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:11 am

Lincolnshire - you need to be able to spot the difference between Limehouse (the old Stepney East), Wapping, Stepney Green and Shadwell.

Almost all the nicer bits that are being described to you are not Shadwell. :)
bubbles1966

Postby SirStoneyOfBow on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:39 pm

The Thomas Neale was a pub I used to frequent years ago when my best friend's family used to run it. Towards the end of their ownership they noted a slump in business and the atmosphere, especially in the evenings was non-existent. They smartly sold up and reinvested in other ventures.
This was back in 2004/2005 if I remember correctly. Switched to The Queens Head at Limehouse, which was a bit grubby but still had a decent spark to it.
SirStoneyOfBow

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:18 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Lincolnshire - you need to be able to spot the difference between Limehouse (the old Stepney East), Wapping, Stepney Green and Shadwell.

Almost all the nicer bits that are being described to you are not Shadwell. :)

Fair point.

I suppose that Shadwell runs between Commercial Road and The Highway.

To the north, Stepney, east, Limehouse, south Wapping. Watney Market the epicenter!

Bulbs, was it the Crown and Dolphin that had (reputedly) the skull behind the bar? I've heard conflicting stories about its origins...

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:40 pm

Proph - I work in Whitechapel and I had no idea that those pubs existed (Still & Star & Dog & Truck). Looks like I'll be making a short walk round to visit them soon :thup:
Cockneyboy311

Postby view from the shires on Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:23 pm

I hoped this was going to be a thread about the character created by John Sparkes (even though it is really spelt siadwell).
view from the shires

Next

Return to The Snug