Shadwell

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Shadwell

Postby Tristan Shout on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:03 pm

I did a weeks work in Chapman street, there was a food shop, they put what looked like a few big common carp out on the pavement, right next to the road, they were out there all day in the sun, traffic and pedestrians wandering past all day,
Just before they closed, the owner walked out, picked them up and put them in the freezer, next day he got them out and put them out on the street again, this went on all week, that can't be hygienic, reckon you could die if you ate one :shock:
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"

Postby bunk on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:50 am

prophet:marginal wrote:1. The Dean Swift
2. The Hungerford Arms, and
3. The Thomas Neale (in the pedestrian bit of Watney Market), not because they're particularly lively, but, if I am honest, the beer in these places is nothing special at all.

Walked passed here yesterday, didn't look like i missed much. I think in general any pub that advertises the pint prices, usually warrants a swerve.
bunk

Postby EugeneSpeed on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 am

prophet:marginal wrote:Of all the boozers I might top up in, after work, on Commercial Road, my favourite is the microscopic Still and Star, tucked away around the side of Aldgate bus garage.

I always meet my Dad there before we go for a curry. It's been 'about to close down' for what seems like 15 years. I do like it but they had some very young and inexperienced bar staff in there last time we popped in, and you really don't want that in the City.
EugeneSpeed

Postby EugeneSpeed on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 am

My mate used to live on Cavell St. The area hasn't changed that much in the 10 or so years he was there. We're a right bunch of lefty liberals, but he ended up snapping after a long running dispute with the council about a mosque that was being built right opposite his place and ended up moving. Final straw was being jumped by a pack of kids whilst walking home with a Tinder hookup.

We used to drink at Indo, The George and The Good Samaritan.
EugeneSpeed

Postby WHU Independent on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:33 pm

EugeneSpeed wrote:My mate used to live on Cavell St. The area hasn't changed that much in the 10 or so years he was there. We're a right bunch of lefty liberals, but he ended up snapping after a long running dispute with the council about a mosque that was being built right opposite his place and ended up moving. Final straw was being jumped by a pack of kids whilst walking home with a Tinder hookup.

We used to drink at Indo, The George and The Good Samaritan.

Blimey Eugene we have probably bumped into each other and not known it. If you go in the Good Sams I assume you know my mate "Billy" - he's in there most nights and he still lives in Cavell street! Good call with Indo and the George btw - don't get in them very much nowadays but top boozers. Have you been in Murphy's/The White Heart at all recently? I've seen it's been done up to a craft beer pub, and was wondering what it was like?
WHU Independent

Postby Greatest Hits Vol1 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:41 pm

I am a big fan of Lahore Kebab House on Commercial Rd. Good place for a late night curry. Grilled lamb chops are really good.
Greatest Hits Vol1

Postby SirStoneyOfBow on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Greatest Hits Vol1 wrote:I am a big fan of Lahore Kebab House on Commercial Rd. Good place for a late night curry. Grilled lamb chops are really good.

Been there a few times. Absolutely glorious, their lamb chops are.
SirStoneyOfBow

Postby bubbles1966 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:34 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:Bubbs, was it the Crown and Dolphin that had (reputedly) the skull behind the bar? I've heard conflicting stories about its origins...

Never heard that one, Proph.

Obvs everyone knows about the Beggar, but I can remember the Artichoke and Railway Tavern - the latter was full of people but no witnesses. Rose and Punchbowl springs to mind as well for some reason.

My parents owned the Dover on Sutton Street in ye olden swingin' 60s and I used to drink in the Neale (run by Pat and Harry/larry?) and Sams regularly in the mid 80s as a "young person" - latterly (my mid 30s) in Murphy's, the Rodney's and sometimes the Beggar as I gravitated to Whitechapel.

Last time I went to the Dog and Truck it was to collect the fragrant, yet slightly inebriated, Mrs Bubbs. Just round the corner from the old social and council offices.

The Hungerford, Lord Nelson (now a curry place) etc used to be the boozers of choice for the old social/council staff at Cheviot and Nelson Street also.
bubbles1966

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:09 pm

WHU Independent wrote:
Blimey Eugene we have probably bumped into each other and not known it. If you go in the Good Sams I assume you know my mate "Billy" - he's in there most nights and he still lives in Cavell street! Good call with Indo and the George btw - don't get in them very much nowadays but top boozers. Have you been in Murphy's/The White Heart at all recently? I've seen it's been done up to a craft beer pub, and was wondering what it was like?

I work a 2 minutes walk from the Good Sam on New Road. I don't frequent it as much as I used to since we got a dog! Purely for birthday and leaving drinks these days. Not a bad pub. Pretty sure the landlord is a hammer.

If I had a choice of where to drink I'd go to the White Hart. The Mile End brewery stuff is great. The only mild annoyance is the Eastern European bar staff. Their English isn't the best so ordering can be problematic especially when it's busy/noisy.
Cockneyboy311

Postby WHU Independent on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:40 pm

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:I used to drink in the Neale (run by Pat and Harry/larry?) and Sams regularly in the mid 80s as a "young person" - latterly (my mid 30s) in Murphy's, the Rodney's and sometimes the Beggar as I gravitated to Whitechapel.

Blimey I used to work in their at that time. It was Pat and Harry (H as he was known) with son Paul and in law Tommy and his wife who's name I've forgotten, plus their son little Tommo. It was a top boozer in the day. I probably have served you :)

I also used to drink in Hollands, just off Brayford Sq, set back off the commercial road just up from Jubilee street. The Rose and Punchbowl - in the 70's - was my starting pub of choice, but the best pub by far was the Old Globe.
WHU Independent

Postby SirStoneyOfBow on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:08 am

Pat and Harry moved to Suffolk and left the Pub to Paul and Hillary.
I'm trying my best to remember but I believe both Pat and Harry have sadly both passed away. Pat I think died last autumn.
SirStoneyOfBow

Postby The Collector on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:17 pm

Seems a bit of a strange place to relocate to as it is fine for a short walk into The City but apart from some really decent foodie places there is not a lot to do in the evenings and weekends.

You've got a Waitrose up towards St Katherine's dock or a Sainsbury's (if memory serves) in Watney Market.

Too many of the real locals pubs have gone due to the ethicity of the area meaning that alcohol, or at least drinking it in public, is limited. I used to love the Britt on Cable St. Best Guinness in the area.

The Lahore Kebab House has always been good but a pity that Tubby's has gone from Aldgate.
The Collector

Postby bunk on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:If I had a choice of where to drink I'd go to the White Hart. The Mile End brewery stuff is great. The only mild annoyance is the Eastern European bar staff. Their English isn't the best so ordering can be problematic especially when it's busy/noisy.

Was in there on Tuesday, it is a nice pub. The Snakecharmer IPA was tasty, though at 5.7% it was perhaps a bit too strong for a number of pints earlier in week, so moved onto the Guinness after 3.
bunk

Postby EugeneSpeed on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:45 pm

WHU Independent wrote:Blimey Eugene we have probably bumped into each other and not known it. If you go in the Good Sams I assume you know my mate "Billy" - he's in there most nights and he still lives in Cavell street! Good call with Indo and the George btw - don't get in them very much nowadays but top boozers. Have you been in Murphy's/The White Heart at all recently? I've seen it's been done up to a craft beer pub, and was wondering what it was like?

I wasn't a regular by any stretch so don't know Billy.

Not been in The White Hart but heading there this evening! Well, going to The Castle first (which I hear has been tarted up), then Lahore, then The White Hart.
EugeneSpeed

Postby walt hamster on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:47 pm

I live nearby and shadwell is a bit **** tbh. Does have a wimpy and a percy ingles on the market so not all bad. :wink:

Friends have complained about feeling bit unsafe arriving in the dark. Personally I don't mind the oiks trying to sell me weed, and I've personally never had or seen any trouble when stumbling home late.

As others have said Castle and George are good for a late night drink on commercial road on way home. Food wise, Lahore is good, couple of Turkish places (efes and a manga) also nearby. Then lots of posher restaurants and few river pubs in walking distance towards Wapping or city.

Limehouse has bit of life and is changing. Nice new Yurt Cafe and a new craft beer pub near Limehouse l station with rotating ales and lagers http://www.thecraftbeerco.com.

Plus there's a strip club (horns) which is next to a late gay bar, both of which are round the corner from one my favourite date spots in London (jamboree on cable st). I've only been to one of those 3 mind...
walt hamster

Postby bubbles1966 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:57 pm

I liked the Wimpy. Don't s'pose the Pie and Mash is still open going towards the station?

Used to be a cracking looking woman serving in the Neale years ago called Sue who used to greet customers with, "What do you want, you ****ing ****?" or, if she was in a better mood, "Bet you've got a big'un" :D
bubbles1966

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:45 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:I liked the Wimpy. Don't s'pose the Pie and Mash is still open going towards the station?

Another shout out for the Watney Wimpy.

Pie and Mash long gone.

On the walk to the station is now the unsubtly titled Meat Bazar (should be bizarre)

Rain or shine, it pen and inks, that place.
prophet:marginal

Postby markmc on Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:41 am

prophet:marginal wrote:
I'd personally swerve

1. The Dean Swift.

Personally had a decent pint (and game of pool) in there last year meeting up with some old mates on a visit back to E. London, reason we went there as one of my mates was working round the corner, as said found it an Ok boozer and friendly staff and local regulars.

We were reminiscing over the since (or long) shut down 'Sorrels' as one of our old haunts and brought up previously in other threads on here.
markmc

Postby Longneck'd Iron on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:03 am

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:Pat and Harry moved to Suffolk and left the Pub to Paul and Hillary.
I'm trying my best to remember but I believe both Pat and Harry have sadly both passed away. Pat I think died last autumn.

I sat next to Paul, when we 1st started secondary school. He (& the Thomas Neale) were the reason I started drinking in pubs at 16 years old. Was a great weekend pub in the late 70s early 80s.
We also used to get a bus from Poplar during the week, to play pool in the Dover Castle.
Longneck'd Iron

Postby WHU Independent on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:14 pm

markmc wrote:I sat next to Paul, when we 1st started secondary school. He (& the Thomas Neale) were the reason I started drinking in pubs at 16 years old. Was a great weekend pub in the late 70s early 80s.
We also used to get a bus from Poplar during the week, to play pool in the Dover Castle.

I probably served you as well ;)
WHU Independent

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug