Spiders

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Spiders

Postby vmixture on Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:48 pm

Apparently after the warm wet summer our 8 legged mates are bigger than ever this year. as we get into Autumn expect a shock or two as one of the beasts wanders over your floor.

vmixture

Re: Spiders

Postby hammerdivone on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:28 pm

Had one of those last weekend, at first I thought one of the cats had walked in the room!

Mrs hd1 went decidedly pale when I went over, picked it up and threw it out the front door.

Mind you it was big enough to open the back gate and come back in through the cat flat!
hammerdivone

Postby Hammer1972 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:42 pm

Please tell me you live in Australia mixture....
Hammer1972

Postby FreeWheeling on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Often get spiders like that in Basingstoke, ****ers can shift at a fair rate of knots too

had a few false widows too in the house but they see the rough side of one of my slippers
FreeWheeling

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:34 pm

Anybody got any suggestions as to how to deal with these bastards? Around this time of year I give each room a good can of Raid (I know I know, but honestly I have a serious problem with them). It does help, but any further help would be appreciated!

Such an irrational fear, but millions of us have it. Pathetic but genuine.
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Postby DoubleDave on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:18 am

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Anybody got any suggestions as to how to deal with these bastards? Around this time of year I give each room a good can of Raid (I know I know, but honestly I have a serious problem with them). It does help, but any further help would be appreciated!

Bit of an old wives tale I know, but it has worked so far for us, put a conker In every corner of the room, and they won't come in.
I know it sounds silly, but we used to get the big hairy buggers a lot, but since I've done the conker thing every year for the past 3 or 4 years we hardly see any of them.
DoubleDave

Postby woodgreenspur on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:32 am

DoubleDave wrote:
Bit of an old wives tale I know, but it has worked so far for us, put a conker In every corner of the room, and they won't come in.
I know it sounds silly, but we used to get the big hairy buggers a lot, but since I've done the conker thing every year for the past 3 or 4 years we hardly see any of them.

It worked for me as well.
I have a phobia of them,so did this to see if it worked and it did.
Seen one in the last 3 years
woodgreenspur

Postby Coops on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:51 am

Spiders are welcome in my house, they eat flies, I hate flies.
Coops

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:55 am

Never trust anything who's knees are higher than its shoulders.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby woodgreenspur on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:03 am

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Never trust anything who's knees are higher than its shoulders.

That's half the population of Milton Keynes..
woodgreenspur

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Coops wrote:Spiders are welcome in my house, they eat flies, I hate flies.

Biggest load of b*llocks ever.

Orb weaving spiders and such do, yes, but house spiders? Simply there to invade your house, around the floor doing **** all but terrify you.

Had 3 massive ones in the front room - all through the front window I'm sure - but too warm to keep the window closed.
Considering I'm terrified of them, each one has met a grisly demise under a heavy hardback cookbook.

I understand the conkers thing may work, but what about anything to put on an outside wall and window cill to prevent them coming into the window?
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:06 pm

WestHamByTheSea wrote:Anybody got any suggestions as to how to deal with these bastards? Around this time of year I give each room a good can of Raid (I know I know, but honestly I have a serious problem with them). It does help, but any further help would be appreciated!

Our son has an irrational [ or possibly rational ] fear of spiders - I'm forever catching them in jam jars and letting them out in the garden - we've tried those ' bombs ' but nothing seems to work - will go and collect some conkers this Autumn or whenever conkers drop , a nice walk if nothing else .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby jastons on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:17 pm

What is the reason behind the conker in the corner of the room idea? Do conkers produce a chemical that spiders dislike?
jastons

Postby vietnammer on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Thought I'd got over them as I can let them roam the house without feeling threatened. However, two years ago in Saudi I was talking to someone and realised they were looking at my shoulder and ...it was pretty much exactly like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlpN8Jt9F9Y

Tore me shirt off, sent me glasses flying (lucky they didn't break) and saw the bugger walking off minus one leg, Thay can re-grow legs, apparently.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby IABATAC on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Coops wrote:Spiders are welcome in my house, they eat flies, I hate flies.

I hate flies too but I hate spiders more so I've got myself a bird to catch the spider. Anyone out there that hates birds and if so, what have you got to deal with them?
IABATAC

Postby vmixture on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:18 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I understand the conkers thing may work, but what about anything to put on an outside wall and window cill to prevent them coming into the window?

Just spray RAID around your windowsil.

And grow bigger conkers Image
vmixture

Postby southbrishammer on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:44 pm

IABATAC wrote:
I hate flies too but I hate spiders more so I've got myself a bird to catch the spider. Anyone out there that hates birds and if so, what have you got to deal with them?

According to the old lady who swallowed a fly, it's a cat. Followed by a dog, a goat, a cow, and finally a horse.

She's dead, of course.
southbrishammer

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:07 am

jastons wrote:What is the reason behind the conker in the corner of the room idea? Do conkers produce a chemical that spiders dislike?

No, spiders just love to play conkers, so it keeps them occupied.
DasNutNock

Postby DoubleDave on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:48 am

:lol:
DoubleDave

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:48 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Next

Return to The Snug