Spiders

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Spiders

Postby Bend it like Repka on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Funny things spiders and me. Up to a certain size I can pick them up and let them run on my hand.

But bigger than say a 10p and it's the old cup and envelope routine. If one touched my hand I'd brick it.

So 5p size - fine. 10p - scary. 50p - no thanks. Saucer - **** off.
Bend it like Repka

Postby FreeWheeling on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:00 pm

Basingstoke Spider, friendly chap,

link below with a bit more detail on the common giant house spider
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24972344@N02/4990857216
FreeWheeling

Postby ageing hammer on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Never trust anything who's knees are higher than its shoulders.

That's why I don't trust your mum. :wink:
ageing hammer

Postby SirStoneyOfBow on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:20 am

I have at least one female black widow in my shed. It's out of the way in the far corner so I let it be.
Strange to say but I find it quit a peculiar yet fascinating creature.
Smaller than a 10p piece but is more venomous than a rattlesnake.
SirStoneyOfBow

Postby vietnammer on Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:16 am

FreeWheeling wrote:Basingstoke Spider, friendly chap

The big ones are ladies.

I'm only ****ed out by the giant house-spiders but I envy people who are unfazed by them. I shared a house with a bloke who could pick them up, juggle them and let them run up his arm.

Worked with a bloke who was built like a brick etc but completely lost it at the sight of even a garden spider. Shame it was a gardening job.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Mega Ron on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:21 pm

One ran out from under the sofa last night to the TV cabinet. I moved the cabinet and there were 3 of the massive bar stewards.

One I smashed to pieces with the nearest child's toy and the other two got stamped on my moves I last used playing Twister.
Mega Ron

Postby Iron-worx on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:54 pm

I'm not keen on spiders, not spooked but don't like them at all.
Iron-worx

Postby AnthraxDave on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Why the hell am I even in this thread :lol:
AnthraxDave

Postby Dover KUMB fan on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:18 pm

They hate cinnamon. So burn a cinnamon candle or sprinkle the stuff about.
As for them getting big, Mrs DKF saw a monster in the spare room. Hasn't been in there since.
Dover KUMB fan

Postby pablo jaye on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:55 pm

FreeWheeling wrote:Basingstoke Spider, friendly chap

Yes, it's the time of year when I'll hear random screams from the missus and daughter, yelling at me to get rid of these monsters. Last year I had a phone call from the wife who was out, asking me to open the front door for her as there was a Basingstoke Spider next to the keyhole, on the wall. It spanned 1.5 widths of a brick (plus mortar width) and probably had hobnail boots on!

I've heard the tale that they were introduced to the area as they were stored in boxes of bananas that were transported along the Basingstoke Canal - don't know how true it is.
pablo jaye

Postby Hammersfaniow on Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:51 am

Last night just dozing off in bed, felt something on me, just brushed my skin, then a few seconds later the unmistakable feeling of something walking over my bare shoulder, I brushed it off and bolted up out of bed to flick the light on. It was so big I even heard it land on the carpet. It didn't move, just kinda played dead. I did the cup and paper thing and watched it for a while slowly start to come back to life before tipping it out the window. I blame this thread
Hammersfaniow

Postby Irons in the blood on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:25 am

Absolutely hate them along with daddy long legs (too similar). Absolutely petrified of them to the point where I don't even like being in the house by myself at this time of year just in case!

I've tried the conkers thing & that seemed to work OK but last year I brought some of this stuff & it seems to have made a big difference. We had a few monsters this time last year but after spraying the whole house we had nothing bigger than a 5p, which I can just about deal with. Have already sprayed the entire house again this year & so far so good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spider-Free-APPROVED-SPIDER-REPELLENT/dp/B00NHOD4DG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504002433&sr=8-1&keywords=spider+free+500ml

Edit: Should really try signing out of my account before posting Amazon links!
Irons in the blood

Postby djclipz on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:51 am

Was clearing out my room over the weekend for a move, came across 2 the size of the palm of my hand... stupidly quick, i'm not a fan.I should of looked before sticking my hand under the bed. That is the exact situation where if i was living in Australia i would probably end up in hospital.
djclipz

Postby Turns to Stone on Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:48 pm

I don't mind them. We've had a few in the house this weekend (we're in Folkestone), but we've got two cats and to be honest I feel sorry for the spiders.

The cat's whip a couple of their legs off and then play with them for a bout 5 minutes before eventually killing them.

The wife does not feel sorry for the spiders.
Turns to Stone

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Turns to Stone wrote:I don't mind them. We've had a few in the house this weekend (we're in Folkestone), but we've got two cats and to be honest I feel sorry for the spiders.

The cat's whip a couple of their legs off and then play with them for a bout 5 minutes before eventually killing them.

The wife does not feel sorry for the spiders.

Ours used to eat them. Many's the time I'd come home and there's be a spider sprawled over the cat's face, Alien style with it's back legs trapped in the cat's mouth, wriggling frantically trying to get away.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:I have at least one female black widow in my shed. It's out of the way in the far corner so I let it be.
Strange to say but I find it quit a peculiar yet fascinating creature.
Smaller than a 10p piece but is more venomous than a rattlesnake.

I didn't know you could get them in the US as well. Thought they were native to AUS only.
Cockneyboy311

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:55 pm

Black Widows are in fact most native to North America.
Other widow spiders can be found worldwide including the Redback in Aus and our very own False Widow spiders.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby warp on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:46 pm

Turns to Stone wrote:The wife does not feel sorry for the spiders.

women got no soul.

i love spiders, closest thing i've ever had to a pet.

some pics i took:

jumping spider in athens acropolis

chinese spider

portuguese spider (about 6 cm leg-span)

same portuguese spider (i didn't take this one)
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby szola on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Don't mind the spiders. It's the scorpions that scare me to death.

Wasps, in late autumn, when sitting outside in the sun, eating a large chunk of fresh BBQ. Them animals I could live without.
szola

Postby vmixture on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:06 pm

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Black Widows are in fact most native to North America.
Other widow spiders can be found worldwide including the Redback in Aus and our very own False Widow spiders.

RARS is right. Its the closely related Redbacks that are indigenous to Australia. Depending on your particular fear, its not the Redbacks you need to worry about. If its venom, then its the Sydney Funnel web. Its its big fast and hairy, then stay away from the Huntsman.

Funnel web

Huntsman (harmless)

vmixture

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug