Spiders

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Spiders

Postby WCpete on Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:20 pm

This is an oldie but a goodie. When spiders lay siege to your home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-9KPe3nwaQ
WCpete

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:57 am

Yep, just encountered one of the biggest bastards I've ever seen.

In the open hallway of our work, up on the skirting at the back under the stairs.

Even crimpled up you could tell how big it was and a chap (hero) in work just put a small glass over it, casual like.
started going ballisic in the glass. Absolutely massive.

Black one. Female. Huge.
The sort of one you get in thick webs behind bricks, bottom corner of garages, under manhole covers etc
rare as rockinghorse shat

Postby DasNutNock on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:32 am

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:The sort of one you get in thick webs behind bricks, bottom corner of garages, under manhole covers, dragging small children to their doom etc
DasNutNock

Postby Joyeux Marteau on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:38 am

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:The sort of one you get in thick webs behind bricks, bottom corner of garages, under manhole covers, dragging small children to their doom etc

That's Pennywise from IT!
Joyeux Marteau

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:56 am

DoubleDave wrote:
Bit of an old wives tale I know, but it has worked so far for us, put a conker In every corner of the room, and they won't come in.
I know it sounds silly, but we used to get the big hairy buggers a lot, but since I've done the conker thing every year for the past 3 or 4 years we hardly see any of them.

Yep, but the only trouble I have with conkers is that it's a bit 'after the horse has bolted'... the gits seem to appear before conker-season round my way.

So far haven't had one yet this season, and the extreme Raid treatment does work pretty well.

Like others here and generally, I only have a problem with the big ones that come into the house... I can happily watch one in the garden spinning a web, especially if they catch a moth (another irritant...'yeah i'm nocturnal but am attracted to light'; contrary hipster insect twats)... it's specifically 'them' at this time of year. Also I don't even mind these ones so much in daylight hours, but of course they only appear after dusk, creating their havoc in a world of shadows and 'did I just see that?' movements in artificial light.

Such an odd phobia really when one considers how common it is. I used to steel myself enough to do the old 'catch them in a glass/with a bit of cardboard' thing then release them outdoors... I blame my dear late Dad who virtually revered them...he told me as a nipper that 'if you kill all the spiders on earth, the human race will be overrun by insects within a fortnight'. Took me until I was about 35 before I twigged that wasn't true. Probable correlation with blind faith in West Ham right there. Nowadays...see one - splat.

RARS is right...the horrible ones that come indoors have nothing to do with insect control...how could they? Insects are flying around up there, these twats are scurrying down there.

The Sheffield Utd of creepy crawlies.
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Previous

Return to The Snug