A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed May 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Tenbury - thank you for that bit of advice - I'll pass it on to Jen . :)

No , I'll do something about it , honest .


Anyway - today was a Good Day -

Jennie knew the weather was going to be good so arranged a little trip out - Randolph's Leap .

It's a huge pool of water on the River Findhorn - we got there but the climb down was a little on the treacherous side for Jen and I but Daniel climbed down - it was this metal ladder running at a very steep angle , not much of a ladder at that [ I took a photo ] - anyway , Dan got down but decided the water was too cold so they went for a walk while I read a book .

Then we drove on for another 2 miles to this White Water Rafting Centre - got a few leaflets and a chat then drove to where they said they launched the rafts , a lovely beach area by the river - Dan got in this time and had a swim around , jumped in from a not too high a rock and we stayed there for an hour or so [ got a few photos too ] .

Drove to Forres for some ice cream then home - feeling knackered but VERY happy . :thup:
User avatar
The Old Man of Storr
 
Posts: 17664
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 pm
Location: Lost In the Recesses Of My Mind .

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby Samba on Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 pm

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Going to visit my mate for the first time on Sunday who is in a secure psychiatric hospital in East London. I'm looking forward to seeing him but also worried that he's going to be 'away with the fairies' and it's going to be an upsetting experience. I need to go though. He'd do the same for me if roles were reversed. Fingers crossed it goes ok :|

Try not to show your upset or shock to him, Cb. Keep in mind, he is still him but an unwell him.
If he has his mobile with him, maybe take him some phone credit. If he hasn't, maybe some writing paper, envelopes & stamps so that he knows that he can contact people on the outside, if he needs to.
Yes, this is a rough time for him atm but it may actually be a turning point in his life into getting better.
As you say, fingers crossed.
User avatar
Samba
 
Posts: 5818
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 pm
Location: I'd like a gazebo now..

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby Samba on Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 pm

-DL- wrote:This weekend has been a real struggle. I've been feeling really down, like there's like a big cloud above me. Tried to speak to the wife about it, but her default answer is 'how can you be feeling like that after your news Wednesday, I thought you'd be buzzing still'.
I feel like I'm on my own at the moment, as I'm being brushed off with simplistic answers when I try to talk about how I'm feeling with her, when sometimes just a cuddle or a hug would suffice, rather than just being told I'm fine, not to worry about it, or other things that ultimately mean nothing.
I'm sat here again on my own, same as I do every other day, because I'm feeling to crap to join them.
I know I've got to walk before I can run, but I just want to start feeling relatively normal again, and to start living a more normal life. It just seems to be such a way off, and the thought of feeling like this for the foreseeable sucks.

Been thinking about your post from the 6th, DL. Yes, I am weird..
I really think that what you were feeling was pure depression. What they call exogenous or reactive depression, caused by going through pretty traumatic events in your life.
The good news is that as you progress to better health, it should lift, as there was a 'real' reason for it.
That being said, the depression that you were experiencing was every bit as bad as any other depression.
User avatar
Samba
 
Posts: 5818
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 pm
Location: I'd like a gazebo now..

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Thu May 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Samba wrote:Try not to show your upset or shock to him, Cb. Keep in mind, he is still him but an unwell him.
If he has his mobile with him, maybe take him some phone credit. If he hasn't, maybe some writing paper, envelopes & stamps so that he knows that he can contact people on the outside, if he needs to.
Yes, this is a rough time for him atm but it may actually be a turning point in his life into getting better.
As you say, fingers crossed.


Cheers Samba (and TOMOS). We're not allowed to take anything in at all, and i don't think he's allowed a phone. From what his sister described it sounds very much like a prison with all of the security in place. :arry:
User avatar
Cockneyboy311
 
Posts: 7888
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:23 pm
Location: Fascination Street

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby mushy on Thu May 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Samba wrote:I really think that what you were feeling was pure depression. What they call exogenous or reactive depression, caused by going through pretty traumatic events in your life.
The good news is that as you progress to better health, it should lift, as there was a 'real' reason for it.
That being said, the depression that you were experiencing was every bit as bad as any other depression.

Samba, that's some expert knowledge and diagnosis going on there, very helpful.
Are you part of a mental health team?
(apologies if you have mentioned this before).
mushy
 
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby Samba on Thu May 16, 2019 10:52 pm

mushy wrote:Samba, that's some expert knowledge and diagnosis going on there, very helpful.
Are you part of a mental health team?
(apologies if you have mentioned this before).

No, I'm not mushy. Just very interested in all of this.
User avatar
Samba
 
Posts: 5818
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 pm
Location: I'd like a gazebo now..

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby pablo jaye on Fri May 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Cockneyboy311 - it’s a very kind thing to do, going to see your pal - and quite often the first time in a new environment is difficult. It would be good to hear how you found it, as there may be others that might benefit from your experience.
User avatar
pablo jaye
 
Posts: 6359
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:08 pm
Location: Underwhelmingly underwhelmed!

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby Samba on Fri May 17, 2019 6:01 pm

The David Harewood psychosis programme that was on last night, I thought was really excellent.
I haven't seen the Nadiya one on anxiety yet.
User avatar
Samba
 
Posts: 5818
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 pm
Location: I'd like a gazebo now..

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby Tenbury on Sat May 18, 2019 8:53 am

When does 'increasing awareness ' become just another spectator sport?
User avatar
Tenbury
 
Posts: 3180
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:28 pm
Location: Too near Kidderminster

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby Toulouse_Iron on Sat May 18, 2019 10:42 am

Hello all, I stumbled on this article in the Grauniad about "Andy's Man Club", an organisation set up by a former Rugby League player after the suicide of his brother-in-law.
Firstly, it could help some of us: it seems like a real life version of this thread...
Secondly, it raises an interesting point: Mental health issues, their vocabulary and even the types of therapy are dealt with in a very feminised and middle-class way, which can alienate "Ordinary blokes", as we are not wired the same way. A very interesting read:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/09/our-goal-is-to-halve-the-male-suicide-rate-why-no-frills-therapy-works-for-men
User avatar
Toulouse_Iron
The boy's got form
 
Posts: 6665
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:07 pm
Location: A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby RichieRiv on Sat May 18, 2019 11:42 am

Tenbury wrote:When does 'increasing awareness ' become just another spectator sport?


A very good question, but I suppose that can only be answered by individual viewers.

I watched the programme last night about 3 squaddies that took their own lives. All 3 were suffering with PTSD, with one also being diagnosed with testicular cancer. He overdosed on morphine.

It was so incredibly sad, but that sadness transferred into anger at the MOD who are pushing the problem onto the NHS who are ill-equipped to deal with battle stress. Government funding was pulled from the charity Combat Stress who were desperately trying to plug the gap. My brother-in-law was actually made redundant as a result. A Royal Navy trained PTSD specialist, with a tour of Kosovo under his belt.

As much as I don't want to underplay David Harewood's and cake bakers mental health issues, there is a scale.
User avatar
RichieRiv
 
Posts: 15267
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:35 pm
Location: http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby Tenbury on Sat May 18, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm glad you raise that. The same thing is happening in civvy st. Three years ago our local MH base consisted of 3 shrinks + 1 probationary and 2 full-time Community Mental Health Nurses (the people who come and visit you at home). Now, despite apparently there being increased funding, there are 2 shrinks and 1part time CMHN. The average wait for a referral from the G P is 12 weeks. This may well be the sort of stuff you'd expect from some decrepit old egalitarian git like me, but even in economic terms it makes no sense whatsoever.
User avatar
Tenbury
 
Posts: 3180
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:28 pm
Location: Too near Kidderminster

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby mushy on Sat May 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Toulouse_Iron wrote:Hello all, I stumbled on this article in the Grauniad about "Andy's Man Club", an organisation set up by a former Rugby League player after the suicide of his brother-in-law.
Firstly, it could help some of us: it seems like a real life version of this thread...
Secondly, it raises an interesting point: Mental health issues, their vocabulary and even the types of therapy are dealt with in a very feminised and middle-class way, which can alienate "Ordinary blokes", as we are not wired the same way. A very interesting read:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/mar/09/our-goal-is-to-halve-the-male-suicide-rate-why-no-frills-therapy-works-for-men

Very good article which I agree with.
mushy
 
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby Samba on Sun May 19, 2019 2:47 am

Tenbury wrote:Now, despite apparently there being increased funding, there are 2 shrinks and 1part time CMHN. The average wait for a referral from the G P is 12 weeks. This may well be the sort of stuff you'd expect from some decrepit old egalitarian git like me, but even in economic terms it makes no sense whatsoever.

Yes, it just shows us we have to always try to read behind the bs.
'Increased funding' (but what they don't say is), for one area of treatment or people at the expense of another area of treatment or people.
User avatar
Samba
 
Posts: 5818
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:36 pm
Location: I'd like a gazebo now..

Previous

Return to The Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tenbury, White Goodman and 11 guests