The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 891 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by Samba »

Puff Daddy wrote:I counsel a hell of lot of people suffering from anxiety and depression and my belief is, many of them hide behind this excuse.
mushy wrote:This is your real point though isnt it Puff? F**k having you as a counsellor by the way.
You may well believe that Puff but that does make you sound unfair, judgemental & rather callous. But, as you say, you're doing work for the DWP. They wouldn't want you to fully understand anxiety & depression.
Perhaps the stress of going to work makes some poor people anxious & depressed.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Firstly belated but heartfelt thanks to Pablo Jaye, TOMOS and David's Cross for the kind responses. Again, it really does help. Never underestimate the impact of such a gesture! :thup:

Just wondering if anyone can offer a little bit of advice if they perhaps have experienced this; it's not a big deal but just a ponder on my part. I'm a few days in to a course of Sertraline - it's the first time I've been on this. So far so good, it has already 'calmed me down' a bit, but it is making me feel a little groggy; an odd sensation and not actually unpleasant. I expect it's just an initial response to new meds and it's not especially worrying me, but I just wondered if anyone here had experienced similar with this stuff? (FWIW when I started on Fluoxetine 5 or so years ago I could have gone on a murder spree the first 3 weeks, so I'm not too worried by this! - just wondered whether it might be common and how it might play out). Perhaps at the back of my mind is a worry that I don't wanna be too zombie-out as and when I start my CBT!

Hope you're all looking after yourselves, big love to all of you.

Oh, and ChzMff - glad to hear a bit of progress on your part. The little victories - they matter mate, and I hope they carry on for you.
ChzMff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by ChzMff »

Thanks mate. My missus is actually about 3 weeks into Sertraline. The early side effects were mainly headaches but they went within about 10 days. She definitely feels they’ve helped “take the edge off” but I suspect improved sleep has helped too. A few years back she was in Citalopram which she suffered much worse side effects including regular nightmares and severe sweats.
Samba

Post by Samba »

ChzMff wrote:Thanks mate. My missus is actually about 3 weeks into Sertraline. The early side effects were mainly headaches but they went within about 10 days. She definitely feels they’ve helped “take the edge off” but I suspect improved sleep has helped too. A few years back she was in Citalopram which she suffered much worse side effects including regular nightmares and severe sweats.
Like WHBTS said, great news that your Mrs is feeling a bit better, ChzMff. :thup:
Must also be a bit of a weight off you as well as family members can also suffer quite a bit, along with 'the patient'.
That does not mean that the sufferer should feel guilty though. People don't choose to get unwell.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Btw Puff Daddy.
I was not attempting to dig you out earlier, mate.
If you yourself have never suffered such like (& I believe that you have said you haven't), I think that it is really difficult, if not even impossible to really understand these illnesses. That is no slight on you.
What hasn't helped has been certain politicians (& countless C4 & C5 programs) over the last 8 or 9 years who have actively demonised anyone suffering, especially those that claim benefits.
It has been scandalous what those evil c**ts have been allowed to do to ill people.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2686 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I'm sure Puff doesn't really mean to cause offence , he's in a line of work whereby he has to [ try ] convince people who are long term unemployed of the benefits of being in work , of having a reason to get out of bed in the morning which in turn may improve some folk's mental health issues , it's just that he's wording his story in an unsympathetic manner , I'm pretty sure his heart's in the right place . :thup:

A member of my family has been off work now for a number of weeks , the problem is severe depression which also includes hallucinations , I've always suspected ' Bi-polar ' , there's going to be a meeting with a Pychiatrist soon so we'll see - we've tried many things but it's not a case of ' trying to cheer someone up ' here , this family member is in a very dark place . Thankfully , work have been very understanding .
Sometimes , cases such as these are very difficult for the layman to comprehend .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I'm sure Puff doesn't really mean to cause offence , he's in a line of work whereby he has to [ try ] convince people who are long term unemployed of the benefits of being in work , of having a reason to get out of bed in the morning which in turn may improve some folk's mental health issues , it's just that he's wording his story in an unsympathetic manner , I'm pretty sure his heart's in the right place . :thup:

A member of my family has been off work now for a number of weeks , the problem is severe depression which also includes hallucinations , I've always suspected ' Bi-polar ' , there's going to be a meeting with a Pychiatrist soon so we'll see - we've tried many things but it's not a case of ' trying to cheer someone up ' here , this family member is in a very dark place . Thankfully , work have been very understanding .
Sometimes , cases such as these are very difficult for the layman to comprehend .

Gee, thanks mate. I don't mean to cause any offence and your assessment of what I do, is exactly how it is. Some people have taken my advice and gone back into work and others haven't. The Work Programme has been a resounding success as evidenced by the considerable reduction in the unemployment figures. In the meantime, I remain fascinated by this condition
The Old Man of Storr

Puff Daddy wrote:

Gee, thanks mate. I don't mean to cause any offence and your assessment of what I do, is exactly how it is. Some people have taken my advice and gone back into work and others haven't. The Work Programme has been a resounding success as evidenced by the considerable reduction in the unemployment figures. In the meantime, I remain fascinated by this condition
No problem , Puff , I know you're a good person - when I first went to my Doctor with my back problem I could tell he wasn't taking me seriously , I was a gardener of 7 years and was very fit - he couldn't see the pins and needles which were making both legs go numb , I continued working for another 7 years albeit having to leave my gardening job - I eventually fell to the floor when walking up our garden path to go to my work , my motor senses had completely failed - after the surgeon operated and gave his report to my GP my Doctor couldn't do enough for me [ especially when I fell seriously ill 12 months later with sepsis ] .
As in Depression , a Bad Back is very difficult to prove either way , people complain of ' a bad back ' but they don't fall to the floor or have to drive their car almost horizontally because of the pain [ and no it wasn't during my drinking days :) ] - people are forever conning the DWP , what better way than to say you have ' depression ' or' a bad back ' - People in Puff's profession must get so frustrated and stressed out but it's also a very worrying time for the people suffering with mental health problems , some are driven to suicide because no one believes them or care - if only there was a way of measuring mental health and physical pain .
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

My wife has been struggling with anxiety for a few years now, it's gradually getting worse and worse, and I've finally managed to convince her to speak to a doctor.

She finally plucks up the courage and calls to make an appointment this morning, and is met with the question from the receptionist.. "Are you in crisis, as we are extremely busy"

I mean what sort of bull**** reasoning is that?? Surely they need to be encouraging people to seek help before they reach "crisis" point! It took so much for her to make this call because she felt like it was a waste of time, only to be made to feel like it was a waste of time, no wonder so many of us go untreated for so long when the NHS is still living in the stone age.

My wife was begrudgingly given an appointment but now feels more anxious about going because she doesn't think she matters enough!

Sorry to rant, and I may have got this whole thing wrong, but it's really wound me up.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1239 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by last.caress »

S-H wrote:My wife has been struggling with anxiety for a few years now, it's gradually getting worse and worse, and I've finally managed to convince her to speak to a doctor.

She finally plucks up the courage and calls to make an appointment this morning, and is met with the question from the receptionist.. "Are you in crisis, as we are extremely busy"

I mean what sort of bull**** reasoning is that?? Surely they need to be encouraging people to seek help before they reach "crisis" point! It took so much for her to make this call because she felt like it was a waste of time, only to be made to feel like it was a waste of time, no wonder so many of us go untreated for so long when the NHS is still living in the stone age.

My wife was begrudgingly given an appointment but now feels more anxious about going because she doesn't think she matters enough!

Sorry to rant, and I may have got this whole thing wrong, but it's really wound me up.
NHS GP receptionists can often be bullish. If your GP surgery is anything like mine you'll find your GP to be a lot more sympathetic to your wife's plight, despite it being an absolute b*stard just getting to see him/her in the first place. Try not to let her back away from help just yet, try to get her to at least see the doc. :thup:
S-H

Post by S-H »

Oh without a doubt the bullish receptionists are the problem, Elsie. But when that is the first hurdle that people need to overcome when seeking help, you can see why so many suffer in silence, when faced with that kind of attitude.

I'm proud of my wife for taking this first step, and I will be there every step of the way.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Massive respect to your wife for taking that first huge step S-H and the same to you for doing an outstanding job of supporting her. :thup:
The Old Man of Storr

S-H wrote:My wife has been struggling with anxiety for a few years now, it's gradually getting worse and worse, and I've finally managed to convince her to speak to a doctor.

No need to apologise , you should be ranting , mate .

Some receptionists are great , some are dragons [ no offence to dragons by the way ] - We're lucky to have more lovely receptionists than dragons where we live but I have come across one or two when phoning up for an appointment . What I always say is this ' If you can't fit me in today then you'll be forcing me to attend A&E and please can you give me your name as I'll be mentioning you when I get there ' .
Works each and every time .

Any problems , phone me and I'll gladly make the appointment for Mrs S-H .

Best Wishes to Mrs S-H . :thup:
Samba

Post by Samba »

I agree with the others, you have every right to rant.
Sometimes they can be so unhelpful.
Please reassure your Mrs that she every right to ask for help.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1308 likes

Post by davids cross »

Small point...

If you find the "making an appointment thing" difficult, you can register with your doctors surgery to use the online appointment booking.

I always found it difficult making appointments..........long delays on phone, am I important enough ?........shall I wait ?

Now I can make my appointments by logging on to my local surgery. They then display the appointments available for next 2-4 weeks....

You won't get a quick one for that week...........but if it's not an emergency you can book at your leisure and bypass the receptionist.

I'm not sure how widespread it is........by you can certainly ask :thup:
S-H

Post by S-H »

Cheers gents, I rang the surgery to speak with the practice manager, not to complain but to just make them aware that they may wish to approach these matters with a bit more compassion and care, and to appreciate just how hard it can be for people to ask for help, and how damaging a negative response could be, the manager was very understanding and said she would talk with the receptionists about how they could improve in this area going forward. :thup:

Thanks again for all of your kind words.

X
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

i admire your restraint, new guy called S-H, i was about to suggest you go there and headbutt the receptionist.
not that you can't still do it...
S-H

Post by S-H »

warp wrote:i admire your restraint, new guy called S-H, i was about to suggest you go there and headbutt the receptionist.
not that you can't still do it...
Thanks, man with overly friendly mum.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2609 likes
Total likes: 937 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

S-H wrote:Cheers gents, I rang the surgery to speak with the practice manager, not to complain but to just make them aware that they may wish to approach these matters with a bit more compassion and care, and to appreciate just how hard it can be for people to ask for help, and how damaging a negative response could be, the manager was very understanding and said she would talk with the receptionists about how they could improve in this area going forward. :thup:

Thanks again for all of your kind words.

X
Brilliant S-H - out of a difficult situation for your missus, your actions will possibly help make it easier for others in the future. Hope all goes well for Mrs S-H.
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

Sorry to hear about your wife, my girlfriend is the same and suffers with anxiety.

We bypassed the doctors and found a local women who does some counselling on the side of her degree, she has been amazing for my girlfriend the change in her over the past 3 months has been incredible. For the £12 p/h this lady charges her its been bloody good! She only goes once a week, for various reasons she hasn't been for the past 3 weeks and i can see her slowly slipping back into old habits.....we were going to knock it on the head to she how she would get on now but will carry on with it.

I live up in Cambridgeshire so cant pass on her details but would see if you could search around your area for someone similar, pretty sure we found her on facebook.

My girlfriend has always suffered with anxiety/depression, been with her 9 years and i still don't fully understand what goes on in her head sometimes. I'm getting a better understanding in seeing things from her side but its not been easy.