The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by mushy »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote: I am trying to get my social services records, i was adopted under an emergency care order, as my birth mother refused to leave the man abusing me. The social services records document the abuse that took place and the injuries that i suffered. It clearly states on the court document it was KCC but they are saying as it happened in what now is a medway town they have the reports, but Medway are saying that as it happened when KCC covered Medway they have the records. So i have submitted now a FOI for both and both have said they will respond but the 18th October.
Yes, I see, does anyone know the legal requirement for keeping such records?
Lets hope they are still on file somewhere and you get what you are looking for.
Apart from that the good Dr Venk has some sound advice -as ever.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote:So i have submitted now a FOI for both and both have said they will respond but the 18th October.
It's like pulling teeth, aint it mate..
You're obviously trying to get hold of the equivalent of the UK nuclear code numbers..
I rather agree with Dan that information holders too often have reasons why they don't want us to have the information that they hold. Reasons that safeguard their arses, for whatever reason.
What gets me is the lies they tell. Lies that are very difficult for us, to disprove.
I have tried to get hold of an ancestors mental health records but just keep hitting brick walls. Yet on 'Who Do You Think You Are', people seem to have no bother. I just get told that they 'got destroyed', which stops me dead in my tracks. Without wanting to sound paranoid, I just don't believe them. I CAN believe that they don't want me to see them. My own ancestors records & in your case, your OWN records. F**king unbelievable.
Well, I might see how badly they were treated, against their consent.. & I might want to sue them...ffs.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Westhamshares. A very kind, and genuine bloke, I've not forgotten.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

AION1, Dr. V will give you the sensible advice, I 'd come at it from another angle: my inclination would be to picket the two councils , but if that doesn't appeal there is always the online paper you refer to , who, I suggest, woul be delighted to run with your story........

[It goes without saying, that , given the bravery and dignity you display, you deserve exactly the reverse reaction to that which you're getting...........just f**king go for the bastards]
prince_huggy
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by prince_huggy »

Tenbury wrote:Westhamshares. A very kind, and genuine bloke, I've not forgotten.
westhamshares - nice one fella
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

God only knows where some of you lads found the strength to carry on after what happened to you through no fault of your own - if this thread does nothing else it shows the human spirit in the best possible light -

Adrian - I really hope you get the information you need and the very best of luck to you in meeting the sister you never knew you had , what a wonderful story after everything you went through .

WestHamShares - what a superb bloke you are , sir ! :thup:

Tenbury - I love reading your posts , mate , they make for brilliant reading , love the use of language .

Mega Ron - Hope we haven't see the last of you , mate , don't stay away too long .

Toilet Duck - Hang in there , mate - at the moment it may feel like a bad thing but you weren't happy there and I'm a firm believer in the old saying ' As one door closes another door opens ' , I wish you a happy and prosperous future .
The Old Man of Storr

For anyone interested -

As some of you may remember we were waiting to hear back from a company called Rentshield who were investigating us as to whether we were able to afford to rent this house we'd found near Elgin - it had been dragging on for weeks , we had to send bank account details , referees etc etc - they passed me as being fit and proper but we were still waiting for Jen to be passed - I told them that we could give them the money up front but no that wasn't good enough apparently - I wasn't overly fond of the place , the heating was of a poor standard , I thought we'd freeze during winter , it was quite small and badly lit . .
Then , last Monday I fond an advert on Gumtree about a house to rent 3 miles outside of Elgin - I phoned up straight away as these things go fast - there was a lot of interest blah-blah-blah- but come along on Thursday . Jen and Daniel went along and apparently we fitted the Landlord's criteria better han anyone else - the house was on the market but wasn't selling , we were ideal as we only wanted it until May 2019 when he can put it back up for sale .
We move in tomorrow .
Adrianisournumber1

Post by Adrianisournumber1 »

Samba wrote: It's like pulling teeth, aint it mate..
You're obviously trying to get hold of the equivalent of the UK nuclear code numbers..
I rather agree with Dan that information holders too often have reasons why they don't want us to have the information that they hold. Reasons that safeguard their arses, for whatever reason.
What gets me is the lies they tell. Lies that are very difficult for us, to disprove.
I have tried to get hold of an ancestors mental health records but just keep hitting brick walls. Yet on 'Who Do You Think You Are', people seem to have no bother. I just get told that they 'got destroyed', which stops me dead in my tracks. Without wanting to sound paranoid, I just don't believe them. I CAN believe that they don't want me to see them. My own ancestors records & in your case, your OWN records. F**king unbelievable.
Well, I might see how badly they were treated, against their consent.. & I might want to sue them...ffs.
That is the thing it not about money if it was i just go down the criminal injuries compensation authority route, its about wanting closure, for years i didnt even know this man name, now i know that the 2 half brothers my Mum had where fathered by him, they gave me his name and told me they knew what he did to us.
Even if i dont get him convicted at least i tried and i can put it in a box and move on.
Medway called again just now and said we don't have it Kent have the paperwork i explained Kent where saying the same thing and that it was getting silly now and that this isn't a minor issue and i have been promised another call on Friday to discuss it further. I know what is coming "we cant find it kent must have it".

After foi is there anything else i can do.

Of to see my psychologist today for a med review should be fun :arry:
Adrianisournumber1

The Old Man of Storr wrote:For anyone interested -

As some of you may remember we were waiting to hear back from a company called Rentshield who were investigating us as to whether we were able to afford to rent this house we'd found near Elgin - it had been dragging on for weeks , we had to send bank account details , referees etc etc - they passed me as being fit and proper but we were still waiting for Jen to be passed - I told them that we could give them the money up front but no that wasn't good enough apparently - I wasn't overly fond of the place , the heating was of a poor standard , I thought we'd freeze during winter , it was quite small and badly lit . .
Then , last Monday I fond an advert on Gumtree about a house to rent 3 miles outside of Elgin - I phoned up straight away as these things go fast - there was a lot of interest blah-blah-blah- but come along on Thursday . Jen and Daniel went along and apparently we fitted the Landlord's criteria better han anyone else - the house was on the market but wasn't selling , we were ideal as we only wanted it until May 2019 when he can put it back up for sale .
We move in tomorrow .
amazing how sometimes things just happen. hope you can be happy in your new home. I love Elgin
The Old Man of Storr

Adrian - thanks , mate .

We're only going to be there while Dan is studying for his Acting and Performance course but at least now I can look forward to the move .

It is funny how things work out in the end , it's like we're being watched over by someone - it was only because I got fed up of waiting to be assessed that I looked on Gumtree last Monday otherwise I wouldn't have bothered - Fate .

I can't imagine what you went through , mate - torture is too good for the people that put kids through what you were put through - I don't know how you managed to survive it all but you did - I hope everything goes well for you , I really do , you deserve all the happiness that comes your way .
mushy

Post by mushy »

Well done TOMOS, its.nice to hear some good news.

Now who was it exactly that passed you as a FIT and PROPER person?
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote:
That is the thing it not about money if it was i just go down the criminal injuries compensation authority route, its about wanting closure, for years i didnt even know this man name, now i know that the 2 half brothers my Mum had where fathered by him, they gave me his name and told me they knew what he did to us.
Even if i dont get him convicted at least i tried and i can put it in a box and move on.
Medway called again just now and said we don't have it Kent have the paperwork i explained Kent where saying the same thing and that it was getting silly now and that this isn't a minor issue and i have been promised another call on Friday to discuss it further. I know what is coming "we cant find it kent must have it".

After foi is there anything else i can do.
Is this something your local MP could assist you with?
Adrianisournumber1 wrote:Of to see my psychologist today for a med review should be fun :arry:
Good luck - I hope you do eventually find some form of closure.
Adrianisournumber1

Following your request for copies of your personal data that may have been held by Medway Council, I contacted the adoption team for advice and to ask them to search their records for any data that the Council holds for you.

As a result one of my colleagues recalls dealing with a previous request and also recalls that the police contacted Medway and Kent County Council about these records. As the records were from prior to Medway becoming a unitary authority, it is Kent County Council who would hold the records and they reported that they could not locate them.

My colleague did all she could to help locate the files including passing on contact details to the Police for them to follow up with Kent.

It may be that Kent County Council could possibly trace some detail via the carers that you were placed with or via your adoptive parents detail, without wishing to raise your hopes may I suggest that you contact them again with details of the carers you were placed with and your adoptive parent detail, any addresses that you have lived at, may be helpful to them, if you were adopted by a family living outside of Kent it may be worth contacting that local authority as well.

We are truly sorry that these files cannot be located but as they would not be held by Medway, unfortunately there is no more that Medway Council can do to assist you.
this is email from about 10mins ago Headbanger
FFS i might contact MP but she isnt exactly helpful. Kent are saying exactly the same thing, i really dunno what to do next.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Just wanted to say that reading the kind words of everyone in here lifts my spirits regularly when I’m down.

I’m having a tough time of it but it can be hard to build the courage to post when I compare my troubles to others in here. I’m not sure I have the right to put my struggles in that same category.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Just wanted to say that reading the kind words of everyone in here lifts my spirits regularly when I’m down.

I’m having a tough time of it but it can be hard to build the courage to post when I compare my troubles to others in here. I’m not sure I have the right to put my struggles in that same category.
You should never feel like that Aztec, especially on here, but I do understand where you are coming from.

Everyone's problems might differ, but that doesn't make them any less important, especially if its having a negative impact on you and your life.

My PM's are always open, if you ever need someone to listen.

:thup:
Adrianisournumber1

Aztec Hammer wrote:Just wanted to say that reading the kind words of everyone in here lifts my spirits regularly when I’m down.

All our problems differ but its how it effects us that matters mate.

Always post some amazing helpful people in here
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Must be something in the water

Wanted to say thanks for the kind and supportive words, beennfeeling more upbeat since admitting things
mushy

Post by mushy »

Aztec, I can assure you that nobody on this thread will judge you for anything that you say.
You have exactly the same right as anyone else to share whats going on, no matter how small you may think it might be.
Your troubles are particular to yourself and as such cannot be compared to those of anyone else.
So please, if you feel the need to write things down and put it all into words, this place can be a good place to start.
Whatever you decide, take care. We are on your side.
Good luck mate.
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

I'd like to say well done to the posters who are continuing to contribute to this thread. You have no idea how much some simple kind words of acknowledgement over the internet from strangers can help. If you feel you have nowhere to turn to, there is always KUMB.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

One of, if not, the best threads on kumb.
I love all you guys.