A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Postby AnthraxDave on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:58 pm

DrVenk wrote:Vit D - should take between September and April; we are all deficient and can adversely affect energy levels and ability to fight off infections
L-Theanine - basically a massive whack of green tea minus the caffeine; I just came back from the US with about 500 tablets; it works really well as a relaxant if feeling anxious (it's a GABA precursor; GABA produces feelings of calmness)

Thanks for this info, Dr Venk.
Yeah, I always feel a bit down in the winter, so will definitely be acquiring some Vitamin D supplements.
Is the L-Theanine OK to take with anti-depressants?
AnthraxDave

Postby DrVenk on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:17 pm

AnthraxDave wrote:Thanks for this info, Dr Venk.
Yeah, I always feel a bit down in the winter, so will definitely be acquiring some Vitamin D supplements.
Is the L-Theanine OK to take with anti-depressants?

Oh, go for some light therapy too. I have one of these babies: https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-10000-lux-full-size-sad-light-a20hw?cmpid=ppc:pim_products:pla:google&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_vGU6tus1gIV1hXTCh2UfwZwEAQYASABEgI48_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Works wonders for me. Be sure to get a good 20mins of it in your face first thing in the morning.

And yeah, I take L-Theanine with anti-depressants. Will be fine. I would recommend only using L-Theanine when feeling stressed/anxious, otherwise it loses its effects. It's blinding stuff though, which is why it is a bit expensive. Buy the Solgar capsules if you can as they are the best quality.
DrVenk

Postby davids cross on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:17 am

RayleighHammer23 wrote:I'm always tired and I don't want to go out or see anyone, the idea of it seems exhausting and I just count down the minutes until I can get home. I'm supposed to be going out tomorrow with people from work, I've said yes but I really don't want to go.

I'm sure this is some kind of mental health issue but surely there's nothing a Dr can do or say to stop that feeling.

There is help for this Ray.

There is a specific section in a book by Claire Weeks (a genius in my book). It's called "More Help for Your Nerves."

Basically when we reach the feeling of wanting to cross a street just to avoid "the effort" needed to perform a conversation with a friend.

She lays out why we reach that stage and how to begin to change it.....

How we reach it is not complicated or rocket sciences ......but rather a string of behaviour that is well known,.......In most people depression is playing some point in the thinking.

In many of these cases it would not have been very long since we crossed the road to chat to a friend......or go out with a friend after work. Now it seems impossible.

:thup:
davids cross

Postby stevieboy on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Thought I'd give this thread a bump today as it's mental health awareness day. Good piece by Frank Bruno on the one show this evening which prompted me to have a look at a few youtube videos. Including one on Stephen Fry and one called 'Black Dog' which is a actually a book with a very basic explanation of how it feels to live with depression.
Depression hit me twice hard in the last few years and it had a major effect on my life going forward. I'm not sure if I have ever put my story on any of the various threads that have been on here. But apart from occasion off days I hope I am past it now and I am good at recognising the early warning signs and how to cope.

I just want to repeat the advice offered here and everywhere...talk to someone as a first step, get professional help. It's not something that you need to hide.

Stay safe. COYI
stevieboy

Postby Aztec Hammer on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:27 pm

A great thread, this.

I've always found it nearly impossible to talk about how I feel. I don't know why, maybe it's because of the stigma of sounding pathetic or weak. Or that my problems aren't really problems when compared to those of others.

But I'd like to say that reading everyone's posts on here has made me realise I shouldn't think that way. We're in it together and I think that's a huge help. Maybe I'll be more prepared to be open the next time I'm having a particularly tough time of it.

I hope everyone in here realises they've got someone to talk to. Even if it's just a few moany Hammers.
Aztec Hammer

Previous

Return to The Snug