The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Re: Mental Health (free course starting 28th Jan 2019 - page 66)

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

A Big Cyber Hug To You , Prawn . :thup:

Seems as if my initial thoughts could have been right then - will your wife be able to cope looking after two children and going to work ? I'd be keeping a friendly eye on her even when you're living apart if I was you - give her the help she needs , maybe a little present now and again , keep showing her you care .

How old are you both if you don't mind me asking ?
The Old Man of Storr

Bit of progress regarding our problems with the Drama teacher / lecturer - Jennie met up with Head of Special Needs this morning just to explain what had happened last Thursday while stressing we didn't want it to go further - However Gary the teacher had already got in touch with her explaining the story from his side and that Dan's work was good enough to progress to Degree level - Jen told her the story of the phone and when the HOSN heard it she said had she known that the new rule of handing in the phones at break time had only just been implemented on Monday ' I would have wiped the floor with him ' for what he did to Dan .

We're all feeling much better today but I'm still going to meet Gary to smooth things over further - I don't want to alienate this guy further . As a result of all this stress my blood pressure has risen and the eczema has returned - I'm a sensitive little man .
PrawnSandwich

Post by PrawnSandwich »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:A Big Cyber Hug To You , Prawn . :thup:

Seems as if my initial thoughts could have been right then - will your wife be able to cope looking after two children and going to work ? I'd be keeping a friendly eye on her even when you're living apart if I was you - give her the help she needs , maybe a little present now and again , keep showing her you care .

How old are you both if you don't mind me asking ?
Thanks TOMOS.

Maybe...
It would possibly be a slightly easier outcome to address.

My wife is a fantastic, loving mother, but I have been hands on 50/50 with her since the moment our first was born - partly due to his arrival messing her up beyond belief internally, but also because I wanted to.
She admits she is very lucky in that respect and the culture shock of me not being there is going to impact hugely.
Of course. End of the day my stand point on this has always been that if we separate they (the kids and her) will always have my support no matter what.

I'm 40 and she is 33.

I'm glad things are progressing with Dan as well mate, it is tough and the physical reaction shows that.
I hope your meeting with Gary (and the fact the HOSN backed you up) is enough to put this issue behind you for all your sakes.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Bit of progress regarding our problems with the Drama teacher / lecturer - Jennie met up with Head of Special Needs this morning just to explain what had happened last Thursday while stressing we didn't want it to go further - However Gary the teacher had already got in touch with her explaining the story from his side and that Dan's work was good enough to progress to Degree level - Jen told her the story of the phone and when the HOSN heard it she said had she known that the new rule of handing in the phones at break time had only just been implemented on Monday ' I would have wiped the floor with him ' for what he did to Dan .

We're all feeling much better today but I'm still going to meet Gary to smooth things over further - I don't want to alienate this guy further . As a result of all this stress my blood pressure has risen and the eczema has returned - I'm a sensitive little man .

No one messes with The Old Man of Storr :scarfer:

Delighted with the good news Peter the bloodpressure and skin issues will settle down again. :)
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Just wanted to say to DL,

Your post to Prawny was so powerful and emotional it brought tears to my eyes. :oops:

Best post on this thread.
The Old Man of Storr

ageing hammer wrote:Just wanted to say to DL,

Your post to Prawny was so powerful and emotional it brought tears to my eyes. :oops:

Best post on this thread.
Seconded - he's a good bloke is DL and puts his points of view across well .
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Seconded - he's a good bloke is DL and puts his points of view across well .
He does adjust his photos though..
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

Samba wrote: He does adjust his photos though..
:shock:

Yeah, and? :wink:
Samba

Post by Samba »

Samba wrote:He does adjust his photos though..
-DL- wrote: :shock: Yeah, and? :wink:
TELL US WHAT YOU DO!
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4918 likes

Post by -DL- »

:hush: :hush:Image
Samba

Post by Samba »

-DL- wrote::hush: :hush:Image
Swine..
The Old Man of Storr

Samba - if you shoot in Raw you HAVE to adjust your shots otherwise they come out all wishy-washy .
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Samba, David's Cross, Tenbury...
Just saw your posts, you're a bunch of stars. Seriously - they're the sort of words you can't buy. Thank you so much.
I've been having a tough day or too (not cataclysmic but nasty nonetheless) and then read what those three fellas above said, then read the following couple of pages with Prawn, DL et al. Just really good people here - even just an abstract understanding and appreciation of that is a real help.
Said it boringly umpteen-times but i still think this thread is the Real West Ham (TM).
Still waiting for my CBT, but not beating myself up about it - would be somewhat counter-productive yeah?

My best friends (one of whom is a regular here on KUMB) took me out for my birthday a couple of weeks back to go to the cinema then to watch the West Ham game at Wimbledon on the box (let's skip that but it was stil nice; private booth in a Bournemouth club,etc) then onto another pub to watch a band. Basically if you do have good friends like that, let them be those friends - it's often easy to forego them.

If those kind of guys aren't immediate... PM me. Can't offer immediate bonhemie of that sort, but i will be here. :thup:
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

Tomos,
A couple of quick questions -:
How is Dan these last few days?
(Apologies if I have missed this post).
And how is your blood pressure bearing up?
The Old Man of Storr

mushy wrote:Tomos,
A couple of quick questions -:
How is Dan these last few days?
(Apologies if I have missed this post).
And how is your blood pressure bearing up?
Was just going to come on here and give you an update -

It was Dan's first day back on Thursday - normally Jen will drive him in , only takes 10 minutes or less from our house but I decided to tag along - I wasn't going to go in , I was wearing these grey pyjamas , trainers and a fleece , hadn't showered , so I didn't really want to see anyone - In the end I popped in to see Gary , I wanted to apologise for my ' emotional behaviour ' and jut see how the land was lying .
He couldn't have been nicer [ we have seen this before though ] - he told me that Dan could take time out to do some creative writing if he so wished , if at any time Dan would need speaking to then the Head of Special Needs [ I do dislike that term ] would be in attendance , he told me that Dan was ahead of everyone else and had a great memory for lines [ he does to be fair ] , he told that if Dan ever wanted to spend a long weekend on Skye with his mates then that wouldn't be a problem - if we needed to go down to visit my sister , that wouldn't be a problem - he couldn't do enough to be helpful .

Yet , the previous week two days before an exam Dan and Jen had gone to see him as Dan wanted him to help him with something , Gary was already helping another student when they got there , Jen heard him say to this girl ' You can come back tomorrow if you're unsure , but hopefully you won't need to ' - when Dan asked him for help he glared at him saying ' You should have taken down the notes like everyone else ! ' and refused to help him . Jennie hates him - and if you knew Jen she gets on with everyone .
The Head of Special Needs told us we were within our rights to report this man [ to Ofsted ] but I preferred to sort things out , Dan wants to study Drama to Degree level and he can do that at Moray College from next year onwards - at least he would be returning to a known environment and perhaps this teacher appreciates that matters haven't been taken further .

That afternoon , at around 4.30pm Dan came home all smiles , first thing he said was ' Thank you , Dad , thank you for sorting all my problems ' - he was on a high for the rest of the night . :)
The Old Man of Storr

p.s. My blood pressure has returned to a more acceptable level [ 129/79 - heart rate 69 beats per minute ] - the other day it was 190/100 - 94 beats per minute . Eczema disappearing too .

Thanks for asking , Tim . :thup:
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:p.s. My blood pressure has returned to a more acceptable level [ 129/79 - heart rate 69 beats per minute ] - the other day it was 190/100 - 94 beats per minute . Eczema disappearing too .

Thanks for asking , Tim . :thup:
I knew it would :scarfer:
The Old Man of Storr

ageing hammer wrote:
I knew it would :scarfer:
I'm a bit like that Green Dinosaur from ' Toy Story ' , I don't like confrontation . :)

Until you push me too far .

I was angry and stressed out and you know yourself how that can affect eczema .

You're a lovely man , Eamonn . :thup:
Samba

Post by Samba »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I'm a bit like that Green Dinosaur from ' Toy Story ' , I don't like confrontation . :) Until you push me too far . I was angry and stressed out and you know yourself how that can affect eczema . You're a lovely man , Eamonn . :thup:
Great to read the update, TOMoS.
Very interesting how emotional stress can come out in skin problems (& of course other physical ailments).
The stress has to 'go somewhere', I suppose.
The mind & body are very linked.
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by Tenbury »

It's been a difficult year ( though I know it doesn't bear comparison to some people on here).

At a bit of a loose end yesterday, went for a quiet beer. Saw an old mate and his dog, haven't seen either for the best part of a year.The guy didn't look too well, and his old dog is going blind (still a lovely animal though). He left after a catchup and a couple of pints of Guinness.When he'd left a mate told me ( in confidence), that the guy has multiple tumours and doesn't expect to see the year out.
Maybe it's just a build up of everything, but the pathos of the guy with his dog was, and still is, too much for me. Ridiculously, I just completely broke down.Thankfully, the kids are in London for a few days so they didn't see it.Somehow I 've got to get myself together before they come back tomorrow night.