The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 343 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Mushy, bless you, you are a top dude, thank you for your kind words :thup:

I am honestly all good though thank you buddy, (your words though about looking after No.1 are spot on, many people forget that) more worried about my mum in fairness, if I could get away with it I would actually top my sister to ease the suffering for both...

Again though, thank you.
HalfTimePie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by HalfTimePie »

Mushy, thank you so much for the offer! I'm sure my boy would love it haha I would really find it hard to accept such a nice gesture to be honest. I would love to say yes but I would feel so guilty.

I do need to look at a permanent solution at some point for sure when I get my finances sorted out and luckily he still has the cat for now at least which is something.

And Somerset, I will most likely be on here again at some point with a DIY thread asking too many questions :lol:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Well done HTP and all the people who have offered him advice, I bet you are glad you opened up a bit now, it just goes to show a problem shared is a problem halved. I wish you well mate and keep fighting the good fight.

By the way Kumb's David's Cross..... the dog whisperer :D
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

Clacton-ammer wrote: My sister, 30 years of mental illness
In truth, I have nothing else I can do for her, more worried about my mum, sounds harsh I know, but 30 years of trying wears you down.
5th time is close, I know it, mum knows it, just waiting for the call.
I guess sharing my sisters story is this: if you are struggling, as many people are, go get help, talk to people, stick at it, you have to fight for you, there will be ups and downs, I guarantee it, but never stop fighting please.
That's a very sad & difficult situation for you, your mum & your sister, Clacton.
You are all being let down by the psychiatric services, especially your sister. And you are certainly not alone, there, unfortunately.
Clearly, what your sister has been given in terms of 'treatment', has never made a sustainable difference to her, for whatever reason.
One of the saddest things was when you said about topping her. I'm sure we all know that you wouldn't ever do that but I get what you meant. When someone is mentally ill, the family often suffers terribly, as well. You said that she doesn't help herself? Perhaps that is just all part of the illness. She may well, not be able to help it. She probably feels as if she is in hell, in her mind.
I know you'll keep trying to help her but there is, of course & I know you know this, only so much that you or your mum, can do. And you have both clearly done & continue to do a lot for her.
As for her crisis team not wanting to see that she is heading for a crisis..
Best of luck to you all with it, mate. I know it's not easy.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Cheers Samba, spot on :thup:
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

Samba wrote:. You said that she doesn't help herself? Perhaps that is just all part of the illness. She may well, not be able to help it. She probably feels as if she is in hell, in her mind.
It may also be that she has chosen not to want any help. For me thats quite important.
She is certainly as you say in Hell.
Clackers, you mentioned she is showing all the recognised signs of being suicidal, have you asked her directly if she is thinking of taking her own life? its a tough question to ask someone but can help one or both parties.
Tenbury
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Clacton, thought a bit before responding as I'd like to be constructive rather than just sympathetic (which of course I am). Hope you can find something of use in this.I know how hard it can be to deal with MH services,particularly as they have no public point of access.So.. Presuming she lives apart from you or your mum. If you go ,in person, to your sister's GP surgery,ask ,on her behalf, to see him/her as soon as or better still immediately, and tell him/her what you've made clear above: probs with MH team etc and ask for their support.And make it clear that it is the GPs responsibility to do this, and don't back down.You may have probs with surgery receptionists, etc, but a recalcitrant attitude and a loud voice in a crowded waiting room, tends to work wonders.The GP really can get things moving.and has a lot of clout.
Your sister might just need another chance, it sounds weird, but sometimes asking someone with MH probs to co operate and help themselves get better,is like asking a bloke with two broken legs to climb a ladder.

Reading how your sister's behaviour has impacted on you and your family is really hard, and very close to home for me. I really hope you might find a snippet in this diatribe that's of use.
Best Wishes to you,your Mum and your sister.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Yo Mushy, indeed I have, she says "not long left now in this horrible place, I'm ready", tell crisis team, they sit with her again, she doesn't repeat it. Crisis team come back and say she is very depressed but not suicidal, my version of the last four times this happened doesn't count for much.

I don't blame the crisis team in fairness, what you gonna do when someone doesn't say those words.

She rang my ex missus up last night, apologised for something she said at her hen night, we are talking over 20 years ago! It's proper scary how the brain works with her at times, but she does that, apologises to peeps for something she may/may not have done to clear her conscious for the next step.

As dark as it must be for her, and I imagine for some peeps on this thread, yes there is help for you if you ask, take that step, it will change your life for the good, but you have to try and fight for yourself as well.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Yo Tenbury,

Appreciate the comments bud, thank you.

Done it twice now, her Dr is very good in fairness to him, gets the ball rolling, I have sat with him & the crisis team, he puts a good case forward, crisis team go their way. Last time I even got in their face a bit (my bad I know) just to let them know how much I/we think she is gonna try topping herself and that I will hold them responsible. I regret it totally, and I was totally out of order to do it, but I felt that is all they left me.

Funny old game eh, you can possibly see why I have become harsh/hardened to it. I don't want to come across as a callous/non caring fella, people close to me know I would give my last penny to someone I love. My whole point of being in this thread is to let those poor sods suffering that there is a way forward, please ask for help, and then fight for you and battle those demons.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

You're not harsh,not even slightly. You don't sound callous,not at all. You sound like a loving brother.
You do sound bloody tired, and I'm not surprised.
Best wishes ,and hope for a good outcome.
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

Ditto that, Tenbury.
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 328 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Croydon »

I've been waiting on a call from Compass for 8 working days now...is that normal?
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

I don't know these people. If you need to talk to someone , try SANE. Need any details or just an ear, feel free to pm me. Best Wishes.
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 41 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Well done HTP for sharing all of this but I have to admit when you said she's been married 5 times I thought my tea was going over the screen!!!!
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

Croydon,
Hope al! Is ok with yourself.
I have no idea what Compass are or what they do apart from the fact that They are an outsourcing company.
Have you been referred to them for a specific reason?

Are you doing ok at the moment?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 673 likes
Total likes: 1286 likes

Post by davids cross »

I think the thing about Bank Holiday weekends is....

Most depressed people think that families and friends are out there having a wonderful weekend experience, with everybody lacing daisies into each others hair.....

When in fact....

We're all at home watching tv on the sofa as miserable as everyone else...... :)
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1217 likes
Total likes: 1635 likes

Post by last.caress »

Croydon wrote:I've been waiting on a call from Compass for 8 working days now...is that normal?
From their website (assuming I'm looking at the right people here) (LINK):

Once we receive a referral, we consider the information you have provided and whether we want to get further information from your GP, and a member of our team will call you within 3-5 working days to arrange a time to find out more information from you.

I don't know if the month of May has a tendency to develop a backlog because of the bank holidays but, in any event, you might want to try getting back onto them.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I’ve been on my own personal battle for years. I’ve just finished a long career in the fire service. I’m contemplating not facing the adrenaline, laughter, horror and trauma I’ve experienced for over 30 years. Could go either way. I will keep you posted. Pardon?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Is that from the service or West Ham Hugh?