The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 150 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by AnthraxDave »

DrVenk wrote: Vit D - should take between September and April; we are all deficient and can adversely affect energy levels and ability to fight off infections
L-Theanine - basically a massive whack of green tea minus the caffeine; I just came back from the US with about 500 tablets; it works really well as a relaxant if feeling anxious (it's a GABA precursor; GABA produces feelings of calmness)
Thanks for this info, Dr Venk.
Yeah, I always feel a bit down in the winter, so will definitely be acquiring some Vitamin D supplements.
Is the L-Theanine OK to take with anti-depressants?
DrVenk
Has liked: 352 likes
Total likes: 464 likes

Post by DrVenk »

AnthraxDave wrote: Thanks for this info, Dr Venk.
Yeah, I always feel a bit down in the winter, so will definitely be acquiring some Vitamin D supplements.
Is the L-Theanine OK to take with anti-depressants?
Oh, go for some light therapy too. I have one of these babies: https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-10000 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Works wonders for me. Be sure to get a good 20mins of it in your face first thing in the morning.

And yeah, I take L-Theanine with anti-depressants. Will be fine. I would recommend only using L-Theanine when feeling stressed/anxious, otherwise it loses its effects. It's blinding stuff though, which is why it is a bit expensive. Buy the Solgar capsules if you can as they are the best quality.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 673 likes
Total likes: 1286 likes

Post by davids cross »

RayleighHammer23 wrote:I'm always tired and I don't want to go out or see anyone, the idea of it seems exhausting and I just count down the minutes until I can get home. I'm supposed to be going out tomorrow with people from work, I've said yes but I really don't want to go.

I'm sure this is some kind of mental health issue but surely there's nothing a Dr can do or say to stop that feeling.
There is help for this Ray.

There is a specific section in a book by Claire Weeks (a genius in my book). It's called "More Help for Your Nerves."

Basically when we reach the feeling of wanting to cross a street just to avoid "the effort" needed to perform a conversation with a friend.

She lays out why we reach that stage and how to begin to change it.....

How we reach it is not complicated or rocket sciences ......but rather a string of behaviour that is well known,.......In most people depression is playing some point in the thinking.

In many of these cases it would not have been very long since we crossed the road to chat to a friend......or go out with a friend after work. Now it seems impossible.

:thup:
stevieboy
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by stevieboy »

Thought I'd give this thread a bump today as it's mental health awareness day. Good piece by Frank Bruno on the one show this evening which prompted me to have a look at a few youtube videos. Including one on Stephen Fry and one called 'Black Dog' which is a actually a book with a very basic explanation of how it feels to live with depression.
Depression hit me twice hard in the last few years and it had a major effect on my life going forward. I'm not sure if I have ever put my story on any of the various threads that have been on here. But apart from occasion off days I hope I am past it now and I am good at recognising the early warning signs and how to cope.

I just want to repeat the advice offered here and everywhere...talk to someone as a first step, get professional help. It's not something that you need to hide.

Stay safe. COYI
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

A great thread, this.

I've always found it nearly impossible to talk about how I feel. I don't know why, maybe it's because of the stigma of sounding pathetic or weak. Or that my problems aren't really problems when compared to those of others.

But I'd like to say that reading everyone's posts on here has made me realise I shouldn't think that way. We're in it together and I think that's a huge help. Maybe I'll be more prepared to be open the next time I'm having a particularly tough time of it.

I hope everyone in here realises they've got someone to talk to. Even if it's just a few moany Hammers.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

Vitamin D and Winter Blues:

Seminar this morning on public health was talking about trying to encourage more public awareness about Vitamin D3.

Basically, the Vitamin D we buy over the counter is probably Ergocalciferol (i.e. Vitamin D2) and not Cholecalciferol (i.e. Vitamin D3). It is the latter that is the more efficacious type and the one that significantly raises 'serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D' (that's the stuff in our blood we use to test Vit D levels).

So, buy D3. I'm on the case now after the clocks changed, and haven't noticed a drop in energy levels. Actually feeling more alert than I was in the summer which is strange for me.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

I will echo what Doc Venk says regarding D3, I have been prescribed Fultium D3 800 iu capsules for medical reasons for over 4 years now and certainly haven't experienced any issues around energy levels dropping in the winter months.
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

So where would you all say the best place to buy both L-Theanine and D3 are?
I have googled with confusing results.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

The best brand is Solgar, and you can get them direct from their online store: http://www.solgaronline.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mushy
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 834 likes

Post by mushy »

Thanks DrVenk,

how would you say that compares to say this ?-
https://www.justvitamins.co.uk/High-Str ... gG_JWi0NPY
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

I can't say fella without knowing more about the company's supply chain.

What I would say is I don't know why they are putting a sweetener in there (maltodextrin). There is a bit of a hoo-ha about Maltodextrin, but nothing major. Go for it if money is tight as they are quite cheap. You'll be fine and I'm sure you'll get a decent amount of the benefits from the l-Theanine.

The reason I recommend Solgar is I know about their supply chain and can vouch for the purity of their products. That's why they are pricey, but because I only use them when I feel I need them, I don't mind paying more.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

Mushy - you have a PM
matthewbd
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by matthewbd »

Going through a dark patch at the moment and I'll be honest, it's only my little girl that's keeping me from doing anything about stopping the pain in my head. I just want to cry constantly.

It's the realisation that I contribute nothing to anyone. That at 35 years old I have nothing to show for my time on this planet. No skills, no talent, no worthwhile or redeeming qualities.

What's the point in hanging around for another 35 years knowing that nothing will change. I'll continue to let everyone around me down and inevitably, will f*** things up. Again.
Tenbury
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 1191 likes

Post by Tenbury »

You've just taken the first step towards getting yourself together. I could go on about how in truth you have already done worthwhile stuff and willdo more in the future,but it won't mean a thing to you while you're this low. If you haven't already,you need to see a GP, loads of people on here have been/are going through the same stuff.You need to see a GP, and if he/she is unhelpful or crappy, ask to see another one.If they give you some meds,take them,it doesn't mean you're weak or whatever, loads of otherwise big strong chaps need a bit of help now and again.

Feel free to pm me anytime,I've had more than the occasional visit from the Black Dog ,and he's no fun.

Best Wishes.
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

Matthewbd - I just want to echo Tenbury's advice and sentiments. Go see a GP as soon as possible if you can and let them know exactly how you have been feeling and what you have been thinking. You probably mean more to the people around you than you know, and people and things can and do change.

Along with Tenbury, if you ever want to unload via PM, feel free fella.
S-H
Has liked: 5726 likes
Total likes: 9642 likes

Post by S-H »

matthewbd wrote: my little girl
You have a little girl mate, i'd say that was something pretty special to show for your time on this planet, definitly something to be proud of!

If you can, please try and take some of the advice given on here, they are a helpful bunch.

:thup:
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

I have a depression related question that I haven't seen asked on here.

When I was on my meds for around a year, they pretty much made me ****ing impotent. I had noted that this could be a side effect before taking them but felt it wouldn't be a problem.

Even when I could manage to muster an erection, I literally could not blow my load, couldn't even come close to doing it.

Took over six months after discontinuation to get back to normal, I thought it was never going to come back.

Anyone else find the same thing happen ( I was on Prozac at that point)
DrVenk

Post by DrVenk »

White Goodman wrote:I have a depression related question that I haven't seen asked on here.
Yes, something I've mentioned a couple of times. I reached the 'can't blow my beans' stage a few years ago, which is annoying because I don't actually use SSRIs for depression/anxiety anymore (10mg of citalopram for inner ear nerve growth).

Usually a lower dose can mitigate the symptoms. Too much serotonin stored in the brain can reduce sexual appetite so that can be adjusted. Not sure about the mechanism behind not cumming though.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

matthewbd wrote:Going through a dark patch at the moment and I'll be honest, it's only my little girl that's keeping me from doing anything about stopping the pain in my head. I just want to cry constantly.

It's the realisation that I contribute nothing to anyone. That at 35 years old I have nothing to show for my time on this planet. No skills, no talent, no worthwhile or redeeming qualities.

What's the point in hanging around for another 35 years knowing that nothing will change. I'll continue to let everyone around me down and inevitably, will **** things up. Again.
Mate, give this number a call - 0300 456 83 42 - this is the Crisis line for NE Hampshire (assuming that you're in F'borough).

Either that or the Samaritans on 116 123.

Talking to someone really does help. I can thoroughly recommend it.
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

I've been meaning to write in this thread for sometime, often do end up writing a long post out then just closing the thread thinking nobody will care and its not a call for help.

My name is Christopher I'm 26 and really am a few days away from killing myself, the last time I felt this bad I ended up in hospital. Now I feel even worse. I lost my dad in June who was my best friend and my only reason for living since my Mum died suddenly in 2011, I have no family or friends around me at all. Nothing. I go days without talking to anybody but myself, the voices in my head and his ashes next to me on his favorite chair. It was 6 months ago last Friday and I cant think of a single thing that has got better over that time. All my bills are overdue, I cant sleep well without medication I buy online to overdose with, I forget to eat, going days without washing, I just cant get back into the rhythm of life. I've been in the Newham centre for mental health 4 times, so I've gone through it all with the GP, consultant psychiatrist, support workers, phone calls to crisis lines and nothing is helping and nothing ever will as he cant come back. Its my birthday on the 20th and then Christmas day and I just cant be alive for any of it, the first time just on my own is too much. I'm trying to avoid everything I can with Christmas, but cant get away from it even when I do get enough motivation to go out to get shopping seeing all the Christmas decorations makes me more depressed wishing the voices come back at the moment so I can get hit by a car or a bus anything or putting the music channels in the house on loud to get away from the voices in my head its still Christmas songs and adverts. Nobody understands me

Ive overdosed 3 times since my last discharge about 6 weeks ago now which was under section for just under 2 months. I just have the effects another posted mentioned in this thread before but did have the police break the door down for a 2nd time and just remember waking up in A&E the next day, my support worker feared I was dead at first and I thought that would finally be the wake up call I needed, but a day or 2 later I'm just feeling the same again and have tried it again since and getting the text my support worker couldn't see me that day and knowing it was the weekend coming up made it a relief that I would be left alone to do it, and the feeling of waking up knowing your still alive and it failed again . The voices come back within the last week telling me to hang myself from the wooden beams in the loft. I've had the rope I need to purchase saved in my Amazon basket since Friday on my phone either that or I have 14 zopiclone tablets saved up and while an overdose probably wont kill me again taking them all with some alcohol and running a bath to hopefully drown in which was my original plan before i got sectioned last time.

There really is just nothing that can change my mind anymore, I am a useless freak that would be better of dead and I'm exhausted with it all. I wish I was able to carry it out that night back in June at least we could of been cremated together and wouldn't have to have felt like this every day for 6 months and avoiding seeing any support workers as saying goodbye would make it even harder.